Found this PL-600 Turntable on the side of the road...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gerry Todd, Aug 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerry Todd

Gerry Todd Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

They are usually fitted under a small plastic or metal disk.

3. Grower of Mushrooms

I've found User and Service manuals on vinyl engine. There is nothing that should impede the platter from lifting straight off. The spindle forms part of the rotor, which has a surface that mates with the underside of the platter.

So it might be a bit of corrosion, or if the platter is steel and the rotor is alloy, then there can be a reaction between the metals which fuses them together. (ask a cyclist with a steel framed bike with a stuck alloy seat post.
    I'd first try getting a hairdryer and gently warm the platter, see if that frees it.

4. timind

timind phorum rezident

When my PL-7 was acting up I had to remove the platter to disassemble it. It took a couple whacks to loosen it up. One more thing though, unplug the tt before removing the platter. My PL-7 motor went crazy without the platter if it was plugged in. Not sure why that happened, but it freaked me out.

5. Grower of Mushrooms

Please just be aware that if your platter is stuck fast to the spindle and rotor, then any violence you dispense to the platter will be transmitted and amplified (via leverage) straight into the motor and its bearings.

There are many applications within mechanical engineering where extreme violence is appropriate, but not in turntable dismantling.

Aftermath likes this.
  6. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

The platter to motor shaft interface is a taper. It's common for platters to stick on the taper. It indicates close machining and matching of the angles. A good thing.
    Pull up on the finger holes in the platter and use the plastic handle of a heavy screwdriver to give the spindle a sharp rap. The bearing shaft will raise slightly when you pull up protecting the bearing. Start with an easy rap first, it's likely to pop right off. Very common to see this problem.

BillWojo

GyroT, Gerry Todd and timind like this.
  7. Gerry Todd

It took three sharp raps from the handle end of a hammer to finally get that platter off! Thanks to all who suggested this solution. The transit screws are long gone, so at least at some point---there was an owner who knew what they were doing.

The Pioneer PL-600 is starting to clean up nicely. Outside of a couple of scuffs I couldn't get off of the dustcover, it's pretty much cosmetically pristine.

I ordered a new old stock PN-220 stylus for $20, and also a new tonearm belt (wear causes the auto cue to stop working properly, and something that eventually needs doing to all units of this model). For reference, anyone searching to troubleshoot this table, post #25 on this page at Audio Karma has step-by-step instructions for replacing the tonearm belt:

Pioneer PL-600 Tonearm belt

The other issue I'm grappling with? The dustcover closes too far forward (landing on a part of the buttons). I'm trying to figure out if this is a problem with the brackets, hinges (bent?), or the actual dustcover (warped)?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GyroT, lpfreak1170 and timind like this.
  8. Gerry Todd

Up and running and sounds great! This is a very nice table. Quieter than the Technics 1200. I’m going to wear my AKG’s and do a comparison tonight. The new old stock PN-200 tracks very, very well. I have a warped Pat Metheny album I always use to test tracking. Playing through perfectly![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. WvL

WvL Improve the lives of other people

I slide the dustcover off of my pl600 when it is playing. I can see it being misaligned being a pain, but the price sounds like it was right. Just a thought

Gerry Todd likes this.
  10. Gerry Todd

What kind of cart/stylus do you have on yours? Have you changed the tonearm belt? I couldn’t believe how easy it was.

11. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I am following this thread with interest as my PL-600 currently has a platter which doesn't turn. It's in for repair right now so we'll see what happens.
    It is a very nice table, very quiet and solid
    The dust cover cracked near a hinge a couple of years ago so I have to remove it when playing a record.

12. WvL

WvL Improve the lives of other people

I had the tonearm belt swapped last year. Using an ortofon 2m bronze as of last month. works great

Gerry Todd likes this.
  13. Gerry Todd

I’m leaving the dustcover on while playing, because although it rests on the very back portion of the buttons...it’s just barely, and the cover is too light to press any of them.

I just did an A\B, and my conclusion is that these are both REALLY good turntables. The stock Pioneer stylus reminds me of the Shure before I upgraded its stylus to a Jico SAS, but more detailed.

The Jico on my 1200 has much more high end. At first. I thought I was hearing more detail, but it was merely providing a boost of the high frequencies.

I’d be happy with either of these tables in their current configurations; my initial tests left me slightly preferring the Pioneer and its smooth and detailed stock cart. It’s also new to me, so I may be simply preferring a different presentation from what I’m used to.

I’m going to keep the PL-600o in my system for awhile, play a ton of records, then do another comparison.

I can’t believe I found this on the curb! So glad I could polish it up, make the minor repairs, and keep it singing!

ubiknik likes this.
  14. Gerry Todd

They probably are close to even, but damn, were you right! I love using the auto. It works SO WELL!

timind and JohnO like this.
  15. Gerry Todd

I’m listening to my mono copy of Kinks Kontroversy right now on this table! It sounds so good. (From the most recent box set) Your profile pic inspired me to give it a spin.

I do hope you’re able to get yours fixed.

WvL and Adam9 like this.
  16. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I just discovered that there are two completely different turntables from Pioneer with the model number PL-600.
    One is the great quartz-locked direct drive automatic you have.
    The other is a not as good belt drive. Still fully automatic, but looks like black plastic and not quartz locked of course.
    Just for reference.

timind and WvL like this.
  17. Gerry Todd

Yeah, I also learned that when researching what exactly it was I picked up off the curb. It looks like the 80's model is some really cheap sh!t, and would have stayed next to the trash if I had discovered that one.

18. Gerry Todd

Reporting back to say that I believe this is personally the best sound I’ve achieved from vinyl. It most definitely bests the 1200 w/ Shure/Jico combo. Or any Pro-Ject & Sumiko or Ortofon carts I previously owned (not a fan of the Ortofon sound).

I absolutely love this table with its stock PN-200. So much detail without isolating any sound to the forefront. I enjoy the Jico, but sometimes those highs can be a bit harsh. Just a bit.

Anyway, I definitely struck gold on the side of the road! Total cost in stylus replacement & tonearm belt: $40. I may try to track down some new hinges, as I believe that’s what has the dust cover resting too far in front. [​IMG]

WvL and LivingForever like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.