The "Picture of your Turntable(s)" thread, Pt. 4

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

2. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

You, my sir...have inspired me to purchase James Taylor's new record "American Standard"

clrvlewis likes this.
  3. wbass

wbass Forum Resident

That's awesome. New? (Or new to you anyway?) How do you like it compared to your 401?

4. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Yes, I just got it set up this morning. First time I've ever heard a TD124, an EMT cartridge, or a Jelco (Ortofon) tonearm. Compared to my Garrard 301, the Thorens build probably wins on detail and dynamics, but it's not really apples to apples as the Thorens is equipped with a much more sophisticated plinth design which includes Gaia footers (I'll be picking up some of those for the Garrard posthaste). A lot of it is just getting used to a new turntable, but I will say the 301 with its larger plinth and 12" tonearm is easier to use. Everything is so close together on the Thorens I'm having to re-learn how to cue records.

OldSoul and wbass like this.
  5. clrvlewis

clrvlewis Forum Resident

Glad I could help you spend your money :) It’s a great album.

Slippers-on likes this.
  6. wbass

wbass Forum Resident

Which Gaia footers? I need something for my 401. Thanks, and enjoy the 124!

7. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Gaia III, $200 for a set of 4. Pretty expensive for feet, but definitely the real deal.

gov and wbass like this.
  8. Slippers-on

While listening, I'll raise a shot of Macallan in your great honor.:tiphat:

clrvlewis likes this.
  9. clrvlewis

clrvlewis Forum Resident

Love it! Cheers :cheers:

Slippers-on likes this.
  10. Slippers-on

Excellent looking table! Is there a shop that customs for you? Did you do the work?

11. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

My other Thorens:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's a Thorens Excelda from the early 1930s, and still works wonderfully. Well, I suppose that's a given, it's a Thorens made in Switzerland.

What a glorious bit of fun!

12. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

Now that's a Thorens I'd trade my Thorens for! What an object of desire!

Here's mine, it's a 'TD160/165' Resto-Mod, nearly complete now.
    Called that because I used parts from both to construct it.
    Please anyone, advise me on a suitable new tone arm.
    I'd keep this one but the anti-skating annoys me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Not that expensive. Those HW-40 feet that I just upgraded my VPI Classic Direct with are $400, HOWEVER, if you send back the original feet to VPI they give you a $200 refund! So $200 seems to be the going price for new TT feet. I wonder what VPI does with those old feet. :winkgrin:

Slippers-on likes this.
  14. NielsSS

NielsSS Forum Resident

Nice I have the same tonearm. I really like it.

15. gov

gov Forum Resident

Looks good! I'll eventually go the opposite direction (have td124 mk1 and jonesing for a garrard 301/401) so curious to hear your longer-term thoughts. I also added the iso acoustics Indigo footers and was amazed at the difference. Added a Sorane arm and a Miyajima cart and really loving the thing.

Who did your plinth? Thats my next (and prob final) tweak on this one.

Also would love your take on the EMT vs say the 103 and the rosewood y0u've got. My understanding of it from fans like Art (RIP) is that it's a more neutral/more forward (depending on your POV) compared to those others.

wbass likes this.
  16. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I have gone from VPI in this thread, Post #654 to Rega Planar 8 in this post:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

Midway between removing the Inspire Vivid Subchassis (seen on the table on the left) and fitting the Tangerine Audio Plateau subchassis - so I've moved from acrylic to aluminium.

It sounds great!

[​IMG]

18. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Myles, My wife lets me do a lot of stuff in the house that most women would not tolerate, however, if I started stacking tables on top of our dining room table that would cross the line with her. So I am guessing that either you are not married or you are married to the most understanding women in the world.

Mr.Sign likes this.
  19. Rega RP8 w Hana ML cart

[​IMG]

20. gov

gov Forum Resident

21. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

What record is that? That looks prettt cool with the wood shelf/base? That the rp8 is sitting on!

trd likes this.
  22. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

Well, I finally finished reading the entire thread! 2770 posts! [Though I did skim some of the ones without photos.] What a spectacular collection of TTs! Special thanks to those who came back and reposted photos which had become lost along the way, e.g. with the Photobucket fiasco.

wes4usc likes this.
  23. RSD Doors Weird Scenes inside there Goldmine

Twinsfan007 and trd like this.
  24. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

Tony, we all have our hidden drivers. Hers is a new dining table!
    In reality, they table has rubber pads to stop it slipping and everything was placed lovingly on the surface. I was closely monitored at all times whilst she was cooking!

You aren't the first person to mention this by the way.

25. rocnred

rocnred Southwest Desert Freak-a-zoid

[​IMG]

My new VPI Prime Scout with the Prime Motor Pod and 3D tonearm upgrade. I love it. It is an amazing TT. I have been researching a new TT since 9/19. There are so many people to thank on this forum for all of their opinions, advice, experience, and research.

@Synthfreek for that 10/28 post of your beautiful rig that pushed me over the edge and finalized my quest decision
    @avanti1960 for the relentless research and cartridge advice you provide. Always valuable advice from you no matter what it is.
    @Echoes Myron for pointing me to Goldprint audio (was actually looking for a tube amp, but that is another story)
    @GoldprintAudio for selling me my VPI with such excellent communication and service at the beginning of the Covid shut-in. Taylor is a great guy.

There are so many others to thank, the list would be huge. There is so much valuable information on this forum. You have no idea how valuable your knowledge and experience is.

Now, doing research for a cart is a completely different story. Ask 100 forum members about carts and you will get 96 different answers. I eventually decided on the Hana SL. I picked that one due to the endless battles of my cart can beat up your cart threads. I believe I saw blood there a couple of times. But it is all good. Love my Hana SL.

VPI PrimeScout>The Donnas - Gold>Hana SL>Vincent PHO-701>LM 34IA>Klipsch RP-280F>Pure Joy

FYI: If anyone is wondering about getting a VPI, just be aware they are combination of my ex-girlfriend and my Ferrari. High maintenance to dial them in, but man oh man.....when you do, they sing!!!!! But I knew that going in, thanks to this forum. The other 2 were different forums.