Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Austen, Mar 19, 2015.

1. highendlover

highendlover Well-Known Member

Devore Fidelity use to use Baltic Birch for their speaker enclosures but now they use Bamboo. More speaker companies are now starting to use Bamboo speaker enclosures, even Open Baffle speakers too..

2. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

Interesting. Do we know if this was for sound quality and not, say, availability or cost?

3. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Just to offer another viewpoint I have my AN-J/lx's placed conventionally, I'm in a very small space and the room layout dictates the placement plus I have no corners.

[​IMG]

4. highendlover

highendlover Well-Known Member

For sound quality, bamboo costs a little more money compared to other types of wood.

5. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

The Sound Anchor stands probably help too.

jonwoody likes this.
  6. jonwoody

I would assume the switch to bamboo would also be for sustainability reasons also it's a very sustainable material.

7. jonwoody

They do! Also I didn't mention in my post I am thrilled with the sound I get, toe in is aimed at my shoulders. I sit in a fairly nearfield setup speakers 5 ft apart and I am about 7 ft away.

8. Daniel Sun

Daniel Sun Well-Known Member

Haha... it will not be in the current apartment, the current apartment is odd shaped and not ideal in any sense. I plan to shift to another apartment in the near future and that's when I'll construct the room.

But you're right, we have an AN dealer in Singapore and I'll probably ask him to see if I can demo the speakers in my room. Problem is I don't think he has the Es, only the Js but I'll check at that time.

Doing my research early cos during this period, there's nothing much to do anyway:) At least now, I've something to look forward to and a blueprint to plan by !!

9. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident Thread Starter

I like the way you have your CDs on the door - great space saving idea - you are definitely ready for RV living down the road.

jonwoody likes this.
  10. Richard Austen

About a decade or so back a forum poster noted that AN was looking at bamboo. The results I presume led them to stick with Birch.

11. Richard Austen

That may be true - but hey - Audio Note speakers are made in a plant where all the electricity comes from stream power. That beats all the speakers made in China or other countries with Coal/Nuclear power plants :)

12. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

i really like the look of the stands and the finish / color on the speakers. lovely.

jonwoody likes this.
  13. jonwoody

Thanks Richard I can't take credit though when we moved into this 770 sqft condo my GF Container Store organized it to death! Never been in an RV and not sure I ever will though!

14. jonwoody

Thank you very much slcaudiophile. :)

15. Richard Austen

You think you have positioning problems?

[​IMG]

16. finn

finn Forum Resident

That's the back room system, the front room is quite a bit better organised.

jonwoody and Richard Austen like this.
  17. klonk

klonk Forum Resident

They are K's are they not. Bookshelf speakers, so they should work well this way. I believe even Peter Q. has a similar arrangement, AN-K/AN Zero in his second room, in my opinion it sounds good that way.

jonwoody and slcaudiophile like this.
  18. finn

finn Forum Resident

Seeing as it's a photo of Peter Q's back room, you may be correct.

19. Richard Austen

Wow - I just saw this photo on a google search for the AN-K.

20. finn

finn Forum Resident

Hence the comment about the front room being a bit better sorted.

Richard Austen likes this.
  21. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

we heard his set up in their living area at his home ... listened to a lot of the new Fear Inoculum album ... it sounded amazing!

in fact, kim has a pair of K/Ds upstairs on
    our dining room hutch set up in a similar
    fashion she has been listening to daily and loves.

22. Marchino

Marchino Forum Resident

my speakers stand a meter from the wall and sound best at that place. In my room, placed in the corners the E's get verry boomy. It really depents on your room, is the house made out of brick or wood make a huge difference. I use a M3Phono, Empress Silver and Isis speaker cable.

23. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

The K is quite a handsome little speaker though isn’t it. I’d like to get a pair for an office setup or something. That is assuming we ever settled down in one spot long enough to actually buy/build a house with an office space...

24. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Absolutely enjoy my new AN-K/Lx in my small 10'x11 den area. They certainly are special and underestimated in the AN line-up. I'm sure they are all I need in this small space. Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to hear what an AN-J would bring to the party. However, in this short time, I've really come to like the sealed box sound and I suspect the AN-J would sound quite different - I actually haven't heard them. The new AN dealer in Chicago I believe only has the E's. With the AN-K/Lx now over $4K new, I think a used pair of J's could be found around the same price....

On another note, I recently purchased @Sugar Man recently listed R Zero II phono from the forum. Looking forward to hearing this in my system soon. Fingers crossed I don't have any noise issues... seems a few here have in the past. I'm able to keep it pretty isolated so I don't think it should be a problem. My interest has peaked on trying an AN IQ cart next.

25. Andrew Mackay

Andrew Mackay Forum Resident

I love my K SPe's and it helped with choosing them that they are my AN dealer's favourite speaker too. Now saving my pennies for a M2 RIAA phono stage and Cobra to drive them.