What's your favorite piece of absurd music trivia?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

In a Krautrock BBC special they both are interviewed and say it somehow didn`t work out - some communication f-up. Not sure Bowie and them ever directly talked to each other. They did not say they turned him down.

2. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Again, same BBC docu as mentioned above: Eno visited them, they had a nice time, recorded 3 tapes that Eno brought with him (they couldn`t afford tape they said) and duly took them with him when he left. Never to be seen or heard again I think.

3. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

That is the docu I have been talking about too.

Plano and Runicen like this.
  4. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

And he was a big fan of Kate Bush - once I learnt that I actually though he cannot be such a bad guy. :laugh:

realkilroy and Jarleboy like this.
  5. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Waters was very stingy with writing credits by the end of that era. Gilmour probably did contribute to the music of that song and just got snubbed.

That said, there's a big difference between Paul Weller writing or co-writing 92% of the songs on the Jam and Style Council albums that hit #1, and Gilmour potentially getting snubbed out of a writing credit on an album that was only credited to Pink Floyd for contractual reasons! I love Pink Floyd, I love David Gilmour, and I love The Final Cut - but, as mentioned, to call it "David Gilmour's only #1 album of the 1980s" is not very accurate. He's on it, and he rescues "The Fletcher Memorial Home" with that beautiful guitar solo, but it's definitely not his baby.

6. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

Rick James & Neil Young’s first rose to prominence in the band the Mynah Birds

7. SonicSorcerer

SonicSorcerer Forum Resident

The 90's UK "You Know When You've Been Tango'd" TV adverts featured none other than Gil Scott-Heron as voice artist...& Gil's dad played for Celtic FC!

Lost In The Flood and carlwm like this.
  8. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me. Thread Starter

You probably know that Bowie's inspiration for Ziggy Stardust was early British rocker Vince Taylor. But did you know the name was an homage to outsider singer The Legendary Stardust Cowboy?

David was a big fan.

Lost In The Flood and hi_watt like this.
  9. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Only three Kiss album covers, up through Hot In The Shade, have the Kiss logo partially obstructed by an object or title:

Alive! (Gene's Bass Guitar Neck)
    Unmasked (The title)
    Animalize (The title)

Hey, somebody has to track these important details so we can all sleep at night... :tiphat:

10. BroJB

The Stones' cover of the Stevie Wonder song "I Don't Know Why" that appears on Metamorphosis was only half recorded. Andrew Loog Oldham took the unfinished track and repeated pieces to stitch together a completed track.

The reason why the Stones abandoned the song midway: They were cutting it when they received news of Brian Jones's death.

11. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

On that subject, Carlene Carter did pinball machine voicing in the '90s.

12. BroJB

Phil Spector paid Ike Turner $20,000 to stay away from the recording sessions for River Deep, Mountain High.

Ike took the cash and, even though he had nothing to do with the song, got credited anyway as one half of the performing duo.

13. InvertDirt

InvertDirt Well-Known Member

Not sure anyone has ever mentioned this in the thread before so I apologize in advance,

But when Batman 89 was in production, composer Danny Elfman had the idea for the main theme while on a plane trip and kept running in and out of an airplane bathroom at different times singing the theme into a cassette recorder.

14. BroJB

Pat Hare, a blues guitarist often credited with inventing power chords, released a single in 1954 called "I'm Gonna Murder My Baby".

Nine years later, he was sent to prison for the rest of his life for murdering his girlfriend.

15. BroJB

Between 1965-68, the Beatles spent 139 weeks on the British pop charts. Only one band spent more time on the charts during that period - and few Americans have ever heard of them.

Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich spent 141 weeks on the chart during that time frame.

16. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Bee Gee twins:

Robin Gibb was older than his fraternal twin Maurice Gibb by about 35 minutes.

17. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Not my favorite, but the latest bit of trivia I learned...

Actor Jason Bateman's father-in-law is Paul Anka.

18. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Speaking of the Bee Gees, I was surprised to see on a tv doc that they started as a 5 piece rock band, and only later became a trio

Hadean75 likes this.
  19. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

I thought you were going to say it ended up as the theme to The Simpsons.

PhoffiFozz and InvertDirt like this.
  20. InvertDirt

InvertDirt Well-Known Member

Wouldn't that be wild :laugh:

dave9199 likes this.
  21. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Well, they were a trio in Australia, and when they returned to Britain to try to make it internationally, they added two Australian musician friends on drums and lead guitar to fill out the band's sound. After they reunited after the breakup, they focused more on being a trio with a backing/touring band.

Lost In The Flood and Jarleboy like this.
  22. classicrockguy

From the Tommy James & the Shondells "Anthology" liner notes,

The main keyboard riff in "Mirage" is the "I Think We're Alone Now" melody played backwards

Glenn coates and Jarleboy like this.
  23. wondergrape

wondergrape Forum Resident

Post of the thread.

john lennonist and uzn007 like this.
  24. classicrockguy

Stephen Bishop, who had the hit song "On and On" and the theme "It Might Be You" from "Tootsie", is the guy in Animal House that gets his guitar smashed by Bluto ("I gave my love a cherry...")

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Bern, Crispy Rob and Jarleboy like this.
  25. biilyedwards

biilyedwards Todd Browning's freak

The Clash considered John Lennon as a producer for their second album, but Joe Strummer said no

uzn007 likes this.