Making Offers on eBay

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Happs, Jun 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

At least if you bid @ the starting $4 bid, and nobody else buys it, you've Won the bid!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah! :)

Just thought that the seller would take the $4 offer since that was his minimum price! :shrug:

Bingo Bongo and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear.

What bothers me most is if I make an offer and it's rejected and the seller doesn't communicate. I'll buy it somewhere else sometimes for a little more if the seller is easy to work with.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Anachostic

Anachostic Forum Resident

Dave Barry would say that "Creepy Breezes" would be an awesome band name. And "Creepy Breezes" only gets 146 results on Google. You can't SEO any better that that!

5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Typically, if a seller is selling at auction with best offer, they expect offers > minimum bid. You're basically offering enough for them to shut down the auction and sell it immediately. That would not typically be the minimum bid.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. rjh_54

rjh_54 Well-Known Member

It is annoying that eBay automatically turns offers on after some time. Some items I am open to offers on, but I turn that option on when I create the listing. Rare or valuable items I price slightly higher than their average value because once I turn those offers on, I get an influx of lowball offers (which are the only offers I will flat out reject as opposed to counter offer). I remember I had a DVD set priced at $120 with free shipping because it takes up a lot of shelf space I wanted it gone a little quicker (it's OOP so other copies were on eBay for $200+), and as soon as offers got turned on, somebody offered me $5 for it :biglaugh:

Another time I had an OOP CD listed at $40 with free shipping, and I got an offer for $30. It had been up for a while so before I made my decision I checked other copies for sale on eBay. They were going for $70 - $150. I declined and priced it at $65. The guy sent me a nasty message that ended with "good luck selling". It's a pretty obscure CD so I'm sure he knew the value of the disc. The funny thing is, if he had just bought it for the $40 it was listed at, I would've still sold it to him.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

I get that point, but I could also see the seller wanting just to be done with it and taking the starting price via an offer! :shrug:

That said, I find it's unusual for traditional auctions to accept offers. In my experience at least, sellers pair offers with BIN like 95% of the time!

8. Oatsdad

Oh, and FWIW, I won the auction for the $4 I offered the seller! :D

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.