Allman Betts Band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockclassics, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Nick Drake fan

Nick Drake fan Forum Resident

You should see them play live. Will take you to a new level of belief.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I sent their merch manager an e mail asking if there was going to be vinyl. Will post when / if I get a response.

Matthew Tate, ssmith3046 and Further like this.
  3. Here’s another from the album, that opening riff sounds like a “cousin” of “Anyday” from Layla LP by Derek and the Dominoes, it goes on to be a very, very good, different and original song.

fairies, Fifth-Chord, Myke and 3 others like this.
  4. Myke

Actually, I came across a drawing on FB last night, with the prize being a vinyl copy, so common sense tells me it's coming, it's just a matter of when. :idea:

5. Fifth-Chord

Fifth-Chord VG+

My wife and I went to see The Allman Betts Band at a local venue in June. We had a blast and it was an awesome 2hr performance! They did a great job sharing the stage and the original music was fresh and I was into it. The ABB covers were executed well and respectfully. There were a few magical moments for me and I'd go see them again.

[​IMG]

I get the vibe that this band is genuine, not just contrived to cash in on the ABB fame if that's what some people are saying. I mean what do they do? Never perform because their parents were in one of the greatest all time bands and work at a bank or get together and do what they love both for themselves and for the fans? I was tracking Devon, Duane with Great Southern but it took Devon unifying with Betts and Oakley to get me off my couch to see them live. I believe the cover songs are being performed to celebrate the ABB anniversary? which makes me think they won't always be doing ABB covers and I think that's okay but I'd like that to continue. Thoughts on the album can be for another post.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  6. ABBDutchFan

ABBDutchFan Forum Resident

Looking forward to seeing them in Berlin, Germany, 2 weeks from now.

7. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Man I love Berlin, it’s a great city we’ve been twice & will go to again.

8. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I listened to the CD just once on the weekend and I liked it. Did not expect the Betts
    vocals. Devon sounds fantastic! If nothing else (on first listen) this band show a lot of
    promise. I just hope that they make another album.

9. 1ifbyrain2ifbytrain

1ifbyrain2ifbytrain Forum Resident

Saw them Saturday night in Stroudsburg, PA. Thoroughly enjoyed the show, doesn't hurt to hear Allman hits but their originals are good too. As a side note they performed in the Sherman Theater on Main Street, an old movie theater where I saw Yellow Submarine on the big screen all those years ago.

10. powerq

powerq Forum Resident

Here's a weird follow-up. I just saw the animated video for Allman Betts new song Magnolia Road. It shows a helicopter hovering the stage, and the helicopter looks a lot like the Beatles' Yellow Submarine.
    [​IMG]

11. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

I would be interested in seeing them live, but they are way, way too expensive for basically being a cover band.

12. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

huh? i saw them. was like $35 a ticket maybe. they only played like 4 allman brothers songs out of a 14-16 song set

ssmith3046, ARK, ~dave~~wave~ and 3 others like this.
  13. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Allman Betts is planning some live outdoors (sans audience) shows, if memory serves me correct

14. Myke

@Further -- did you pick up a vinyl copy ? I've been listening on Spotify, and have been looking for my best price on the vinyl ( some are already out of stock ! ).

15. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

I have seen the 3x at small venues always 5th row center or closer.

If you can get past comparing them to their fathers they are a very tight talented band put on a fantastic show, have a great mix of original music and ABB covers.

Doesn't hurt that tix are under $100 for a great night of music.

16. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

This is a great phrase. I will start using it constantly. With no fixed meaning

Paperback Writer likes this.
  17. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

They’re playing a drive in show in NH on 8/22.

classicrocker and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Further

Further Forum Resident

No, I didn’t even know it was finally released. That took a while to come around!

amazon.com is showing in stock for $24 for the double, not sure if you can do better than that. It’s a little bit pricier than that up here for the double clear vinyl. I kind of wish bands would get back to the 30-40 min. albums that would fit nicely on 2 sides and keep the cost down a bit right across the board.

Matthew Tate and Myke like this.
  19. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

Tangent: I remember though being outraged by how short Ooh La La was when it came out

20. Fifth-Chord

Fifth-Chord VG+

I've been enjoying the vinyl release today with multiple spins. I've had a couple songs in rotation on a digital mix in my Jeep so I enjoyed revisiting the album as a whole for the first time in months. Clear, quiet vinyl. Very warm balanced mix with good dynamics. The gatefold opens up to show the classic collage of images taken while they recorded at Muscle Shoals Recording Studio. Duane shines on "Autumn Breeze" and Devon brings the side to a close nicely with Good 'ol Days. Chuck Leavell (Gilmour Pompeii, EC 24 Nights, Shake Your Money Maker, Laid Back, Brothers and Sisters) contributes to the album as well as a few notable others. I've regretted buying a few albums this year, this wasn't one of them.

carlwm likes this.
  21. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

I watched some of the house shows Devon did on Youtube. I could not help but think - I sure hope your pool stick does not hit one of those guitars. I wonder if that was his father's house?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Listened to the new album on Spotify and will be buying the vinyl double album.

This record may need its own thread. Upon first listen, I hear a super album that every southern rock/ABB fan will swoon over. Love it!

23. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the reminder on the new album. I am going to check it.

I thought the first album was very good so looking forward to hearing this one.

carlwm likes this.
  24. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

New album is fantastic. I've been reading a lot of reviews that give it only mediocre praise because it's so indebted to the Allman Brothers sound, but those reviews seem to be missing the point. I can't imagine a better way to carry on the legacy that what they've got on offer here.

25. Wow, love the new album. Side 2, first track is 12 minutes long, titled "Savannah's Dream", an instrumental, and sounds just like the Allman Brothers to me. Had a big smile on my face when I played that.