What's so great about Fender Jazzmaster and Jaguar guitars?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Jan 3, 2019.

1. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Kathy Marshall
    "Queen of the Surf Guitar" from Southern California

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

The late Chicago bluesman Magic Slim was always seen with his Jazzmaster playin the blues.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    budwhite likes this.
  3. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

You lucky dog!
    Cool I own an Emerald Blue G&L Legacy with alnico's I picked up new in 94, absolutely love the neck and haven't messed with the setup since it was done by an in store tech at the time of purchase.... Also love the pickups, and bought an extra bridge pickup I have in a box just in case. I also have a strat I built and put a alnico G&L pickup in the bridge.....I love their alnico's, either the Duncan's or G&L built ones. Their Leo designed Field Coil pickups are awesome too IMO, though I don't own any..

I own Gibson/G&L/Rick/Charvel/Taylor and 4 killer builds, about 15 axes in total....If I could only own 1 it wold be my G&L Legacy, or some version of a Strat........Strats IMO are the greatest electric guitar ever designed, and I say that without hesitation, not even close......

I also have a 3 year old US G&L ASAT classic.....

The popularity of Jazzmaster/Jags/Mustangs started with Kurt Cobain who bought them because they were reasonable good guitars that could be had cheap in the late 80s and early 90s......

4. samsondale

samsondale Forum Resident

Ed Bickert is a great jazz player whose main instrument (to my knowledge) was a tele.

5. samsondale

samsondale Forum Resident

Saw this after I made the same point. One of my favorites.

FashionBoy likes this.
  6. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

He was so late to the party it is kinda funny to reaad this.

7. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Yep. Late seventies...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

linklinc and rockerreds like this.
  8. Brian Hoffman

Brian Hoffman Obsessive fanatic extraordinaire

True, but it would probably be accurate to say that he precipitated a resurgence in popularity in offsets after a slow decline.
    For me, it was this guy (Kevin Shields) that put me on a Jazzmaster quest which culminated in snagging one of the blonde MIJ models back in '94.
    [​IMG]

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  9. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Don't forget J. Mascis and J. Marr.

10. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

Another one that's painful to recount from the what-was-I-thinking dept:

In the mid/late 80s I had the good fortune of discovering a Nov '64 Jaguar at the local mom & pop music store in my small college town for $130 or $150. It was sunburst and in ragged-but-right yet all-original condition. A cool, twangy guitar for sure, but the body shape and all those rollers/switches seemed weird to me and just didn't "fit" as well as my frankenstein Telecaster--comprised of a castoff '67 Esquire Custom neck, a '64/'65 black body, and a mishmash of 50s/60s Telecaster parts--that I was playing at the time. In a dour moment while home from school on Xmas break, I gave the Jaguar to a friend from childhood who had only just started learning guitar on a trasher acoustic. A year or two later I discovered that he had lost interest...and had in turn given it away to someone else.

I parted out the put-together Telecaster @10 years ago on the popular auction site and made a ton of $$ on it, so that equals out the Jaguar gaffe.

Or so I try to tell myself.

Brian Hoffman and hi_watt like this.
  11. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Actually the pickup selector works better. You can't change my mind about the dreaded Telecaster. Oddly, the best ones I've heard are the Nashville Telecasters that have a 3rd pickup. Even then, I'm happier with a Strat any day.... P.S. no need to be so snide. I know how guitars work. I can take one apart and put it back together in 30 minutes easy.

12. Lownote30

That's great. I still don't like 'em. They remind me of downtown Nashville. They aren't usually used for jazz.

13. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

I loved the S-500.

14. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Apologies if this was posted before

linklinc and lambfan68 like this.
  15. Schoolmaster Bones

Gonna bump this with a cool list: 13 great Fender Jaguar and Jazzmaster guitar player moments | MusicRadar

I love this entry (Elvis Costello's "Watching The Detectives"):
    Costello traded in his new Telecaster for a Jazzmaster and used the guitar for his 1977 debut. Attracted to its brutish sonic character, Costello’s tremolo has a wider-than-usual travel to effect his signature sound, going so far as to inspire this song’s intense reggae-meets-spy movie sound.

Boulder Bob likes this.
  16. NJ Englishman

NJ Englishman Forum Resident

While most of Led Zep I is indeed Tele, I believe that for ‘You Shook Me’ he used a Flying V.

Jon H. and Lownote30 like this.
  17. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

Nice story. I can’t imagine trading a Tele for a Jazzmaster! But maybe it was a crappy Tele

18. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

This is incorrect. Costello used what he described as a "really bad Telecaster" on the entirety of the debut album, My Aim is True. (He said that the strings rode really high above the fretboard.)

The first released studio recording that would have him playing the Jazzmaster is Watching the Detectives -- which, while included on the US release of the debut album, was released as a stand-alone single in the UK, and was recorded five months after the My Aim is True sessions.

AlienRendel likes this.
  19. Lownote30

That makes sense. It certainly sounds more like a Gibson than any Fender.

20. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I stand in awe of the incomprehensible nerdery of this thread.

21. Schoolmaster Bones

You are right. I caught the error about the song being his "debut" right off, but still enjoyed seeing this particular song cited.

The writer did get some basic facts right: Traded Tele for JM; Did freaky, iconic JM meltdown on early single.

22. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

Is it good or bad that I understand EVERYTHING in this thread? :agree:
    Guitar nerdery knows no bounds.

23. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

OP here. I started this thread asking what is so special about the Jazzmaster (or Jaguar) that you cannot get from other guitars.

These two YouTube videos have useful things to say about why they would use a Jazzmaster in particular over other guitars for certain sounds or purposes. (Many Youtube videos just have a guy playing stuff you could do with other guitars, and never specifically show what that guitar can do that a Strat or Tele cannot.)

I do think the guy in the first video glosses over some very significant drawbacks of the Jazzmaster, which people do not always understand until they live with one (like I did). FYI, the guy in the first video is playing a Shelton Electric Instruments offset guitar customized for him.

Guitar: All about Jazzmasters with Mike Adams aka Puisheen

Aaron Sternke: BASICS: What Does a Fender Jazzmaster Sound Like? (American Vintage 1965 Jazzmaster Demo)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StvgU30-3Gg

24. For me, I just love my new Jazzmaster ukulele. It sounds great, plays great, works well with my arthritc fingers, has a pickup and at least it looks like a guitar.

25. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

OP here.

Guitar tech and musician Mike Adams has a really excellent YouTube channel (under the name "Puisheen") focused on setting up and modding offset guitars like the Jazzmaster and Jaguar. The channel's review videos and "on the bench" videos also throw out a lot of information about setting up offset guitars and aftermarket parts (like pickups and bridges). It's a real treasure trove of useful information and know-how that is specific to offset guitars, whose bridge, trem system and pickups are very different from other Fender guitars. I'm not sure there is anything else like this out there.

Youtube Channel: Puisheen

Digging around, I also found some articles this guy has written in the past about how to set up offset guitars (some links below). He also has some excellent articles and videos for Guitar.com (including on their Youtube channel).

DIY: How to Set up Jazzmasters & Jaguars
    Michael James Adams
    26 essential mods for Jazzmasters, Jaguars and other offset guitars
    Tech Talk: Which offset vibrato should you choose, Mastery or Descendant? | Guitar.com | All Things Guitar
    How to fix a Classic Player Jazzmaster trem-lock

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021