Back to the cinema - will / have you ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Johnny Action, Aug 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I've gone twice with my daughter to the local independent cinema. Firstly, I want to support our local businesses so they can keep running. Secondly, they have done everything they can to space people out by row and seating - no one in front or behind and no one directly beside. Physical distancing in place as we came in and we wore masks until we sat down. Honestly, I hate being surrounded by people so this was a great experience. We saw Trolls World Tour first then a Harry Potter movie another time. Fun for my daughter and it was worth the money spent. I can hardly wait til Tenet comes out August 27 here. I will go to the major chain for that one if they have the same set up.

2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I stopped going 14 years ago. I prefer the home theater experience.

Tim Crowley likes this.
  3. sbo

sbo Well-Known Member

Here i Switzerland movie theatres are open since some weeks. People have to be seated with distance, everything is a bit strange. But it is SO nice to go to the movies again! And in a way I like it that there aren't people sitting right behind me and talking all the time... one of the very few positive aspects of the actual situation...

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I’ll go. Right film that is.
    But not at the weekend !!!!!!

5. Tim Crowley

Tim Crowley Forum Resident

Me tooo---our local movie theater is only showing old movies, with the tag line, "See it on the big screen!"

Exotiki and ssmith3046 like this.
  6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

A big TV works for me! :)

7. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I’ll probably go see Tenet at the least busy time. I have a few gift cards for the movies. Or maybe I’ll just spend $20 to rent the new Bill & Teds movie that weekend:)

8. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

Good idea. Weekday matinee has always been pretty quiet - esp. if you wait a couple of weeks after release. Even before the pandemic.

9. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I am with the matinee art house crowd and they are all old folks. Better for everyone to stay home.

10. No theaters open near me in Northern California so no. I do miss it. Once they do open I would probably pick a beginning or early show during the work week. Safer.

11. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Not until there’s a vaccine. To be indoors with other people for any length of time is not wise.

12. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Auckland went back into lockdown so I won't be going to see THX1138 this week after all, though they will probably be rescheduling the screening. Hopefully, it won't conflict with the Back to the Future screening next week or some other thing I've got going on.

13. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

I was thinking the other day that I felt like something was missing lately and I remembered, "Oh yea, I haven't been to a theater since the winter".

I deeply miss my visits to my favorite independent art house (Gateway Film Center) and even trips to the local AMC. I just don't know if it will ever be the same after 2020, though.

I'll support them and go when they finally reopen, but – goodness knows when that will actually become a reality.

brownie61 likes this.
  14. alexpop

The worst ? bar : pub : party situation.
    Out in the open fresh air,guess the beach is ok 5.00am in the morning.

15. alexpop

Jump cut... a year on and TV showrooms don’t have the same of array of tvs that they had in 2013 regardless of GIANT tv’s. What are folks just buying supermarket tvs now? Price incentive I guess.

16. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

If that what it takes to see the Let It Be movie, I'm there...…. :edthumbs:

Jimbo62 likes this.
  17. alexpop

Fine with media version/ dvd.

Aside .. seen the original 1970.

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think Peter Jackson's "Get Back" is gonna be streaming only, isn't it?

It's supposed to be 6 hours long, so that won't fly in theaters...

19. I’ve seen two movies both high profile releases.

20. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'Summer of Soul' last Friday; first cinema visit since beginning of March last year.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  21. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

Went to a small, independent movie house in Providence, RI to see Questlove's Summer of Soul (a terrific movie, by the way). The audience was modest, distanced and I sat wedged between two equally-vaccinated friends. No problem...

...but am I excited about taking my 10-year old to see Black Widow in the multiplex? Not just yet, even though I want to support the cinema experience with my dollars and my attendance. Seeing Summer of Soul made me admit to myself how much I missed seeing a movie in a theater and I fetishized everything about it - seeing coming attractions, smelling hot popcorn, hearing people slurping up sodas through straws...

I'll go back, sure.

Chris DeVoe and Bingo Bongo like this.
  22. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I was under the impression that he has 2 Beatles projects on the go. The "Get Back" movie, and the 6 hour TV special. Am I wrong?

23. Nope. Not gonna pay $10.00 to watch a movie that's going to be aired on TBS, TNT, Paramount, USA, or FX twice a day on every other weekend in two years.

24. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I'm thinking of seeing Black Widow. It's at my local independent theatre and they need support. I don't watch ultra violent / stupid franchise like the Fast and Furious movies so I'm hoping it's not one of those but I will take a flyer on it.

25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

DUNE

I'll see that one in IMAX.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.