Barnes & Noble 50% Off Vinyl Sale

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Vinyljunkie22, Aug 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flatbubba

Flatbubba Forum Resident

Trying to find a store that has the Faces 1970-1975: You Can Make Me Dance box set in stock. Found one according to the b&n site in NY but called and they said they didn't have it.

2. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

Fantastic!!! I've been ringing stores in Texas and California most days I work to get vinyl! So glad you were able to get a result!!!

3. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

I'm guessing the place you tried was the Country Glen Center. I'm not in work again until Friday but I will give work a call tomorrow and ask them if Barnes & Noble lists it as being in stock in any other location (I've tried looking at different locations on my home computer and not getting a hit).

4. Flatbubba

Flatbubba Forum Resident

Yep! Country Glen :). Much obliged! Yeah I tried a ton of cities and that NY store was the only hit.

5. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

How do you do a full US search?
    Thanks!

6. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

I do not know of a way of doing a full US search on their website. What I have been doing when I have been looking for a particular vinyl is entering major cities such as New York or Los Angeles to see if I get a result. You go to the albums page, click on "Check on Availability at Nearby Stores", then enter a city. You don't get a full list of results but you may have luck doing it this way.

The Barnes & Noble in store bookmaster system is different. Only booksellers are supposed to use it but quite a lot of us like to be helpful! It automatically gives us a list of stores that should have a particular item in stock. If there is anything in particular you are after that you are struggling to find let me know and I'll tell you which stores should have it in stock.

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  7. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Picked up Jeff Tweedy-Warm and Rosanne Cash-She Remembers Everything.

Jspmike and hutlock like this.
  8. Flatbubba

Flatbubba Forum Resident

Very generous offer. Bob Dylan Side Tracks double LP. Seems to be OOS everywhere.

9. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

I called my store today and unfortunately there are no other stores listed as carrying The Faces vinyl box set. Really sorry.

10. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

I just sent you a private message on the Bob Dylan. One store is listed as carrying it! Best of luck!

11. Flatbubba

Flatbubba Forum Resident

All good! Thanks for trying. Much appreciated.

12. Flatbubba

Flatbubba Forum Resident

They are no longer carrying it because they are now shipping it to me! Thanks Jspmike!

mrjinks, SJP and Jspmike like this.
  13. Flatbubba

Flatbubba Forum Resident

All the 50% off stickers at my store include the line "members save an extra 10%" but it doesn't ring up that way, only 50%. But they honor it and have to recalculate the entire order.

14. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Thanks for pointing this shipping option out @Jspmike and @Tjazz

This worked out really well for me at 3 stores: Stockton, Merced, and Glendora. Stockton charged $3.99 shipping (1 LP), Merced didn't charge shipping (3 LPs), and Glendora charged $5.95 shipping (4 LPs). So inconsistent, but on the average just $3.xx per order, which is totally good with me.

Do they ship media mail, or via other means? All my orders are coming from within the state, so even if media mail or ground, they probably won't take too long to get here.

My selections:

The Smiths: Rank ($15.99)
    Sting: Ten Summoner's Tales ($12.49)
    Beck: Sea Change ($12.49)
    Radiohead: King of Limbs ($11.49)
    Belly: King ($11.49)
    KT Tunstall: KIN - autographed copy ($11.49)
    Lyle Lovett and His Large Band ($9.99)
    Crowded House: Woodface ($12.49)

black sheriff, hutlock, Tjazz and 2 others like this.
  15. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

You got some really great records there!!! I've been tempted by most of those myself! I believe most items from my store either gets shipped by UPS or the US postal service. It's really strange how different stores will charge shipping or not. I bought something earlier this year from a store in Gilroy, California and they charged me shipping even though I work for Barnes & Noble and am a member (members get free shipping). I'm still bitter about that! Got the record I was after though!

hutlock and captouch like this.
  16. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Is there a way to filter the results to only show what is in stock? Beyond filtering to a geographical area, it would be nice to drill down beyond that. I’m not looking for a specific title, but only wish to browse the items I can purchase.

17. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

I don't know of a way to do this on the website. It would make it a better experience if the website was changed so that you could do this.

cdash99 likes this.
  18. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

The best I could do is view 50 pages of 40 titles a page, so 1000 or less than half of the 2000+ titles on sale. Even that was a chore.

When I found something I was interested in, I checked for store availability in Norcal and Socal and made a list of locations carrying each title of interest. Then, I looked for commonalities in stores and was able to limit my phone order to 3 stores that covered most of what I wanted.

And the funny thing is I must have been doing enough drilling down and checking store availability that the B&N site thought I was a bot and put me in a time-out saying they detected unusual activity and I could be a malicious entity (or words to that effect). I opened another browser and continued searching. My search was based on sorting by "best sellers", so I saw the 1000 "best selling" titles.

If I rearranged my sort to another metric like "newest to oldest" and then again by "oldest to newest" (or "A to Z" and then "Z to A"), I guess I could have had visibility to almost all titles. But I already found 8 and am already running out of room to store all my records, so I didn't go through that additional exercise, though I'm sure I could have found another 5-10 if I wanted.

Jspmike likes this.
  19. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

That's how I've been exploring the website and I've been put on several time-outs!!!

captouch likes this.
  20. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

I viewed 40 titles per page, High price to Low. Then reversed, Low to High price. Then all titles can be accessed.

Mike helped me with this, there still might be one available?
    Faces LP First Step (orange) $9.99
    First Step [Opaque Orange Vinyl]
    Palm Cross, TX 956-686-4231

hutlock and Jspmike like this.
  21. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Yeah, my math apparently sucks. 40 x 50 = 2000, not 1000. So yeah, you can access everything.

OK, back to my multiplication tables now. . .

22. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

Late to this new round of 50%, will check out a local store tomorrow. Surveyed the titles online, and, of course, nothing really available for order.

Warning: Avoid the Don McLean - American Pie (if you find it). All reissue copies that B&N offers have a significant pressing defect during "Sister Fatima". (I know this because the two copies I ordered from elsewhere after my first purchase had the same exact defect).

superstar19 likes this.
  23. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

My first order arrived today, just one day after ordering. It was shipped UPS ground and only had to travel 75 mi or so, which is why it got here so quickly.

With all the problems USPS is having, hopefully the other two orders come via UPS as well.

hutlock and superstar19 like this.
  24. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

Bought some vinyl today that I'd had manifested from other stores. Here's the ones I got...

Singles Soundtrack
    Natural Born Killers Soundtrack
    John Fogerty - Blue Moon Swamp
    Soundgarden - Down On the Upside
    Soundgarden - Louder Than Love
    Sigur Ros - Von

Just finished listening to Down On The Upside Down. Sounds really good!

Davidmk5 and black sheriff like this.
  25. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

Kudos to jspmike for his assistance in this thread and in PMs. Managed to snag the third Bowie box, New Career in a New Town 1/2 price from a store about 200 miles away. Just called and asked if they would either ship to a local store or go home, and they were happy to ship to my house at no extra charge. Not bad for like a 20lb set!! Just hope they pack well. Picked up Who Can I Be Now? the other day somewhat local to me along with a few other 1/2 price titles. Shopping is fun again :p

davers, Jspmike, superstar19 and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.