Your Musical Hot-Takes/Unpopular Opinions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Trixmay 988, Aug 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I don’t understand what people love so much about Eric Clapton. I am not saying I hate or even particularly dislike Eric Clapton, just that I must be missing something. And I am a guitar player, so it’s not like I can’t appreciate good guitar playing. He’s certainly a good player. But one of the best ever? God? I’ve just never understood it.

2. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

You're an usual suspect in threads like this, too.

3. mike_mike

mike_mike neurodiverse

Part of Clapton's appeal may lie in the appearance of expending no effort. All the 'emotion' as it were is there in the music itself.

Jarleboy and Big Blue like this.
  4. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

You picked a classic example. Marvin Gaye pointed out the troubles in the world back in 1970 with 'What's Going On', and since that time absolutely nothing has improved. The defense rests your honor.

5. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I've always thought the "Clapton is God" graffiti was written by some relative

6. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

I'm glad there are a couple of people here who recognise the Quo reference, rather than thinking I'm somebody named Kelly!

Man at C&A likes this.
  7. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Agree 100%.

Less is more

8. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

I'm with you. "Crossroads" is amazing. Everything on 461 Ocean Boulevard (which is revered) puts me to sleep. There's a small handful of his songs from the '70s that I can listen to, and a few more from the '80s, but that's about it.

Totally understand how influential he is, but I sure can't figure out why. Ritchie Blackmore was and is a far more engaging player that Clapton ever was, and doesn't get anywhere near the love.

9. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

This cover by the Damned re-introduced me to the song. IMHO, it revitalizes the song, and is vastly superior to Love's original. I just love the timbre of the guitar.

10. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

That reminds me of another one of my contrary opinions:

American Dream is an excellent album. Very different to but just as good as Deja Vu. And while I'm prattling on, After The Storm is is the equal of "Couch".

11. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Sorry but no

B E E F likes this.
  12. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Dire Straits are one of the best bands ever. And better than other bands more well-considered

Jarleboy and carlwm like this.
  13. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Agreed! :righton:

Jarleboy and Sear like this.
  14. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

My first thought was “wait, is this even a hot take? I thought this was widely understood...“

But then I remembered that I have a friend who has insisted he hates Dire Straits simply because he thinks “Money for Nothing” is a stupid song that’s just about moving appliances. I’m sure there are plenty of people who only think of (or know) that song, and likely don’t hold them in the esteem most of us here probably do, even if they do like that song. It’s certainly not representative of their work!

15. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Agreed, as long as there is a harmonica solo, or a B-3 solo. :D

SG47 likes this.
  16. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Most of your posts are controversial, yet positive posts! Except for the objective vs subjective thread. :cheers:

Man at C&A likes this.
  17. Wordnat2

Wordnat2 Square as hay, dull as cattle.

YES! They’re the world’s most awkward singles band.

18. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

Unpopular opinions:

Deep Purple mk. III is just as good as mk. II (mk. IV is very good as well, but I'm not big on mk. I)

U2's music of the last 20 years is excellent, well-written and performed pop music (I will admit they are like a different band from 2000 on)

Black Sabbath made some great albums with Tony martin on vocals.

Santana "Caravanserai" is by far their best album

Rochdale3, BluesOvertookMe and carlwm like this.
  19. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

This! :righton:

internetcurmudgeon likes this.
  20. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

It’s definitely come up. BUT, my thoughts on the matter, anyway:

1. They did need (or at least they felt they needed) someone who could play guitar and piano; I’m sure it didn’t have to be Neil Young, but they also liked the songs he brought to the table.

2. I think it goes both ways. Neil Young’s work in CSNY is neither his best work, nor does it benefit in any vital sense from Crosby, Stills, or Nash being involved (IMO, of course).

At the time, they felt they were getting a great addition to the band and some good songs, and he felt he was getting some good promo for his own career. Both are probably true, but neither may have been necessary, in hindsight.

Peace N. Love, Eric_Generic and DTK like this.
  21. Wordnat2

Wordnat2 Square as hay, dull as cattle.

Bob Dylan never crashed his motorcycle.

22. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I honestly think I like blues without solos better. Without electricity, even better...

23. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I didn’t really “get” Prince until I saw him perform on TV. IMO, showmanship and musicianship came together in that man in a very, very special way. However, no, you don’t really experience that listening to his radio hits.

Man at C&A likes this.
  24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Really?

Wordnat2 likes this.
  25. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Stevie Ray Vaughan’s best recorded work is his playing on Let’s Dance. He never sounded better than that on any of his own work.

'05Train likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.