Can a record still be considered Near Mint if...?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Telemark, Apr 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

I personally would grade any record VG or G if it smelled of smoke or weed. The only exception is Cheech and Chong's Up in Smoke soundtrack. I would grade that NM.

2. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

If it's a Grateful Dead album just call it NM+

All Down The Line, ARK, 4-2-7 and 2 others like this.
  3. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

If it's a Reggae Record, i'd call it an upgrade. :D

4. Tim Crowley

Tim Crowley Forum Resident

Try Febreeze.

5. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

And you would have every right to, but this is based on your purely subjective opinion of a deserving grade, not any guidelines or accepted grading system. Of course 'undergrading' Lps will usually ensure a very satisfied buyer..

6. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

That's kind of why I said I "personally" would grade it that way. I'm plenty aware my own decision doesn't affect how another person wants to handle it. I could care less about that. It was more of humorous response than anything as the OP was looking for.

7. Pali Gap

Yeah I get it, and really any grade given is a 'personal' decision...but it did raise a valid discussion when buying/selling/grading NM Lps that suffer from some smell, which does not fall into any recognized/accepted grading system I've seen...
    I remember as a teen discovering Los Cochinos in my Dad's old box of Lps...opened it up to find the surprise stash hidden inside the car door panel- in the years that followed I earned the right to listen to that Lp lol...compare that creative packaging to today's vinyl where they stuff 2 Lps into one single sleeve, you have to beg just to get an insert with some lyrics...

8. Garson

Garson Enthusiast

If the record has any unintended odor, it is NOT near mint. That being said, I can’t imagine how much weed and how often one would need to use it for a vinyl record or it’s sleeve to smell like weed. Weed smell doesn’t linger quite as long as cigarette smoke. I would bet that smell dissipates with some isolation from the offending scent origin.

9. Pali Gap

Again, this is an opinion not supported by ANY standard grading system...You're certain it's NOT near mint, but at the same time you have no guideline as to what the grade should be...

10. Garson

Garson Enthusiast

I am not an expert at grading. But I would not be satisfied buying a record with an irremovable odor graded as NM. Especially if the odor was noticeable from any considerable distance other than with my nose touching it. Would you give a great review to that seller?

Shawn likes this.
  11. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

At first I didn't agree on smells, some people are sensitive to it like buying vintage gear that smells like smoke. I tell them they should buy new if things like that bother them a lot, and 40-50 year old records records are similar.

But mold, is mold and thats why we get that musty smell, if I smell it and was going to sell it it would be mentioned. I also put this in the class of water/moisture damage that has to be mention as part of the grading. This is something that can effect more of your records depending how you store them as well as get worse on the specific title with the issue.

While our records are our records and we acclimate to our environment, we will not know if someone else smells something. If I know the buyer has issues with some odors on records and I'm selling them some more. I'll put it where it can get some outside air and I'll add little pieces clipped off of bounce dryer sheets. I have also sprayed the box/ mailer with febreze to eliminate odors.

I handle 1000s of records every month, used records are just that, they are generally dirty inside and out. When we get them it's our problem of how we want to care for them. If one has a real problem with odors on them they should shop in person or buy new, or deal with making any record their own.

12. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

First off I don't believe in any record as being mint, it's a dumb word in the grading that shouldn't be there. New records are not mint, one can always find a flaw, like you saying you smell something, that maybe someone else does not so it's not mint to you. If your buying used records it will be up to you how you take care of it and restore it, wash it, and store it.

13. ET3311

ET3311 Careful with that axe, Roy.

Perhaps the record gained its weedy smell from the previous owner spilling used bong water on it? Then the smell will stay, but just the weed smoke sticking to a record is something I've never heard of or experienced.

14. Garson

Garson Enthusiast

we are not talking about mint here at all. This is about NM. Saying something is “dumb” is not helping this conversation. And finally...You’re*

15. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Never mind the mint, does it cost more?

16. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

The word "Mint" is still included, as I said I don't believe any record is mint, so it can't be near mint, mint minus, or any other form of it.

It might make the record smell better LOL

Uglyversal likes this.
  17. Garson

Garson Enthusiast

this is a bad take

Barnyard Symphony likes this.
  18. Pali Gap

I'd argue most smells can be removed with a bit of effort, but I don't disagree bad odors are not desirable. My argument is that obvious smells should always be disclosed by the seller, but should not affect an Lp's grading simply because grading systems don't include 'smells' in their criteria. If the seller did not disclose the smell, and you're not satisfied, then a return would be warranted.

It's easy to say an Lp is NM condition *but cover has a musty smell*. That's it, finished. There's no mystery there, the buyer knows what they're getting (a smelly Lp in great condition), and no need to make up an imaginary grade.

All Down The Line likes this.
  19. Michael Ries

Michael Ries Forum Resident

This can be solved simply with a cover / record / smell grading system .

Smell grading:

NM/M-: factory fresh smell
    VG++: mostly factory fresh but can have signs of of absorbed smell from storing near other LP’s of similar smell grade
    VG+: an enjoyable smelling LP that while not factory fresh, should not be objectionable
    VG: some lingering mustiness or light smoke smell, but does not overpower olfactory senses
    VG-/G+:dankness is sensed when record is within 3 feet of nose. Mild mold may be present
    G: smokey, musty, and mold evident in same room of record. should be quarantined from other records above this smell grade so it does not bring down the smell grade of other records in your collection

Johnta7, zongo, Telemark and 3 others like this.
  20. starfieldroad

starfieldroad chew up your love then swallow

when I sell something I always indicate any odor issues, including if it is smoke-free.

I've been on the receiving end of some tobacco-basted items, bad enough that the funk is wafting off the package before it's even opened. that's always unwelcome.

OP - does it smell like weed-smoke or weed-weed? Absorbing smoke is one thing, the odor of a bag of herb is another (and lesser IMO, since this would not be tarry etc)

febreze is not a good option here, circulating fresh air is.

Shawn and Crimson Witch like this.
  21. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

The grading system doesn't mention smell. It is based on it's visual appearance and how well it plays. Therefore, it's not a consideration.

It may be worth, if you have a vacuum style record cleaner, giving it a dry hoover and placing a rizla in the vacuum chain and then rolling it up with a bit of tobacco and testing the effects. If it has none, send the record back and request a full refund.

22. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

I find that Lysol wipes get musty smells out of jackets. I'll wipe the outside then once it is completely dry if need be I'll put another flat inside the jacket for a day or two.

Barnyard Symphony likes this.
  23. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Clarification? Resale on the forum or through another outlet?

24. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

If we find out someone bought something here in Classifieds with the intention of flipping it here, or on EBay, or anywhere else, not only will that person be banned from Classifieds, they may be banned from this forum. And that has happened a coupe of times, and we found out about it and took action. Other sellers here are very protective, if you catch my drift.

Clear?

starfieldroad and MrSka57 like this.
  25. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Thanks.

Jerry likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.