Your Musical Hot-Takes/Unpopular Opinions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Trixmay 988, Aug 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

P/G is a great album.

But Test for Echo is their best.

carlwm likes this.
  2. CDV

CDV Forum Resident

• The term "EDM" was invented by the labels' managers and festivals' organizers because they could not tell progressive from trance from house from drum'n'bass from dubstep from new disco etc. and they really did not care. They just wanted to make money.
    • Americans older than 25 think that EDM is for LGBTQ crowd.
    • FM stations support their listeners in this belief, labelling EDM stations as "Pride Radio" or "Channel Q"; real manly men listen to something like "Angry playlist".
    • No matter how they name their stations and whatever they think their audience is, their so-called EDM is third-rate pop dreck spruced with electronic distortions sang by voiceless singers.
    • Those who are not in to rave culture, would not see the difference between David Guetta and The Chemical Brothers.
    • Proper vocal trance acts recruit some of the best singers with true natural voices across the modern pop-music spectrum.

3. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

The singer component of this take sounds like the David Lee Roth vs. Sammy Hagar debate. I think many would agree that Hagar is the more skilled vocalist. But was DLR and his swaggering persona better for the band?

Jamsterdammer likes this.
  4. Honey Bunches of Sadness

If I "Like" this, will it be interpreted as:
    1. Agreed that R&H is a brilliant album
    2. Agreed that "R&H is a brilliant album" is likely to be a deeply unpopular opinion

I mean 2.

5. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Agreed that the movie was really pretentious.

But I disliked the actual music on the album even more.

6. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I think R&H is unfortunately sandwiched between Joshua and Achtung, two of their most iconic and flawless albums so it gets the shaft for where it sits, but for its own merits, it's actually not bad, just bloated. "All I Want Is You" is a 5/5 song IMO and there's some other great tracks there, I think it probably should've just been a single LP and without the live tracks and dialogue tracks.

GMfan87' and Rochdale3 like this.
  7. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

As someone who loves vinyl and "tolerates" CD's (but rarely buy them), I actually love that a lot of deluxe box sets contain both, gives me a reason to add it to the collection because it fits better on my shelf with other records

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  8. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I wouldn't say Pop was my fave, but I do think it's the last time U2 was interesting. Since then they've been in that Stones vein as a boring dad rock legacy act giving the fans what they want but no longer taking any serious risks musically because they know what songs people want to hear in the stadiums. Not saying I completely dislike their work in the past 20 years, but the U2 of 2000-onward doesn't interest me as much as the 1979-1997 band

zither likes this.
  9. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

The period 1985-1995 is the greatest 10 year period for rock music. Largely because of the alternative/college rock created during this era.

Earscape and PhoenixWoman like this.
  10. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Both of these seem like pretty widespread opinions to me.

11. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I respect the glam era for him and do think there are some amazing tracks from the era (especially off Hunky Dory), but I would say that 1969-1973 era Bowie is my least favorite besides his MTV pop era, the idea that Ziggy is his magnum opus is preposterous to me when he topped that album 5 or 6 times in the following years.

PhoenixWoman and Shambolicus like this.
  12. Honey Bunches of Sadness

If "you had to be there" is required to grasp a work's greatness, then I'd say it's not really a great work. Great art should transcend time. I.e., I wouldn't second-guess your opinion on that basis.

PS: Pet Sounds has grown on me over time, but I'm not on board with it being an iconic album. Agree that it was influential.

13. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

The Pixies reunion records are good, sometimes very good. Each one has at least 2-3 great songs. They’re not on the same level as their first four albums, but that’s fine. I’d rather hear them put out new music that’s pretty good than nothing at all.

Jmac1979 likes this.
  14. Honey Bunches of Sadness

"Love You To" is one strike against Revolver.

Are you holding "What Goes On" against Rubber Soul?

I'm on board with Rubber Soul/Revolver being their peak period.

15. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Test For Echo is a fine album, for sure! :righton:

internetcurmudgeon likes this.
  16. Chimichurri

Chimichurri Forum Resident

It was a great time for me, having a car meant I could see acts that weren't playing in Liverpool. Bought some great records... however, just reading the list of talent that trod the boards of Liverpool Stadium in the 1970s, tells me I was born too late. :cry:

jedilips00 likes this.
  17. Honey Bunches of Sadness

No, you started a fun thread. I'm really enjoying plowing my way through this. There's lots of jaw-dropping takes, but that's part of the enjoyment.

18. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

The 86 remake of Don’t Stand So Close To Me is awesome and is one of my favorite Police tunes.

l-l-d likes this.
  19. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

`
    Err.........`Blue and Lonesome`......`Doom and Gloom`..........`Living in a Ghost Town`.
    Not sure that I agree with them not taking risks.

20. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Releasing one album per decade and endless stadium tours with essentially the same setlist

Man at C&A likes this.
  21. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Do you think Led Zeppelin are blues-rock? I don't

PhoenixWoman likes this.
  22. Freddy Steady

Freddy Steady Forum Resident

Good point. Sabbath were probably more of a complete band with Ozzy but I just think Ronnie was a better singer with better songs.

23. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

Come to think of it again, had the track "Holy Diver" been released in the album "The Last In Line" and I would easily have a Top 15 heavy metal album in my collection. As for Ozzy, an essential part of Sabbath's golden years all the way through! Never managed to warm me up though in his entire solo career ... alas, save for one song here and there.
    I'm all for Dio's all the way through.

24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

What's risky about these? Blue and Lonesome was a very lazy effort.

Jmac1979 and Sear like this.
  25. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Please explain then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.