Your Musical Hot-Takes/Unpopular Opinions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Trixmay 988, Aug 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

:biglaugh:

Jonny W likes this.
  2. Chimichurri

Chimichurri Forum Resident

That's pretty inflammatory - I heard Copeland fell off a horse and was too injured to play. He should've sued and stopped the thing coming out.

Guy Smiley likes this.
  3. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I agree :)

EG.

4. Jim Duckworth

Jim Duckworth I can't lose with the stuff I use.

Jimmy Page is one of the greatest guitarists ever-during his Telecaster years!
    [​IMG]

Man at C&A likes this.
  5. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

You are correct! GUP is their absolute best.

cwd, carlwm and Eric_Generic like this.
  6. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

First two albums or so? Hell yes

SG47, Guy Smiley and Rick Robson like this.
  7. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

My appreciation of Clapton increased when I bought the Clapton-Winwood at MSG concert DVD. His playing seems effortless, as you say, and it's also flawless.

Umbari, Mark E. Moon. and Guy Smiley like this.
  8. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

What else would their first two albums be called?

9. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

BOC's "Teen Archer" remains amongst the most overlooked tracks in their whole discography. Jon Lord damn sure heard those killing keyboards, at least once in his life!

HfxBob likes this.
  10. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Great song, not sure what you mean about the Jon Lord part though. This song came out in 1973.

11. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

You didn't get my joke... :D

12. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

My mum was a nurse and says she looked after Copeland in hospital when he broke his arm. Not sure if that's true, but that'd be a weird story for her to make up.

Eric_Generic and Wordnat2 like this.
  13. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Hard rock

14. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Isn't blues rock typically hard rock with a heavy blues influence?

15. Double E

Double E Time is piling up, we struggle and we scrape

I have always been a fan, have most of his stuff on vinyl and I am coming around to a similar conclusion. Not a lot of great songs either. The album August is one of the few records in my collection I consider unlistenable (not that it is possible to “un” listen but I can’t think of a more appropriate word). Now I’m listening 1970s J J Cale as I right, so cool. I’m a much bigger J J Fan

Man at C&A, Mojo7575 and Big Blue like this.
  16. Double E

Double E Time is piling up, we struggle and we scrape

Looking forward to the feedback. Always interested in what Stones records new fans might like.

Trixmay 988 and Terrapin Station like this.
  17. Dave116

Dave116 Forum Resident

Stereolab......I have really tried here....I should like them....I like the bands they are supposedly influenced by....I love the voice of the singer
    But for me......95% pretentious drivel with a couple of great songs

Man at C&A and Sear like this.
  18. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Yes, the appeal of Stereolab is a complete mystery to me. They sound exactly like what they are, a twee indie band who've listened to some good records and tried their best to sound exactly like them - yes, well done for having an interesting record collection but that's not really enough at the end of the day.

Man at C&A, Sear and Dave116 like this.
  19. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I agree with you on judging the final product, for sure. I put a record on because I want to hear that record, however it ended up being what it is.

I think the line is drawn at songwriting because that’s the part that is most fundamentally creative in nature. One can perform or produce creatively, sure, but it’s not particularly necessary. Uncreative songwriting results in a bad song, and even if the performer and producer polish that turd perfectly, it’s still a turd.

GoatsHeadSoup likes this.
  20. blivet

blivet Forum Resident

I get the feeling that there isn't a lot of overlap between the people who are interested in their new releases and the people who go to their concerts.

I haven't been to a Stones concert since the tour sponsored by Jōvan, but there are stories about audience members being completely baffled by Mick Taylor or Bill Wyman putting in an appearance, using Keith's set as a chance to visit the concession stand, and so on. Fans buy the new material, but a lot of people go to a Stones concert nowadays because it's on their bucket list.

Jagger has discussed the set list, and he's said that the audience just doesn't respond unless the material is familiar. For an entertainer, especially a band's front man, it must be a nightmare to feel the crowd beginning to lose interest.

Jonny W likes this.
  21. Sanctuary

Sanctuary Forum Resident

1. Iggy Pop’s music is overrated and repetitive.
    2. Radiohead are creative and interesting musically but are overrated in many ways and their music can be at times gratingly boring.
    3. The Ramones are tremendously overrated and no one listens to them as much as you would be led to believe.
    4. The eighties despite the dated production techniques used in most of the recordings was one of the last gasps in rock/pop creativity and inspiration.

rod, rodentdog, Man at C&A and 3 others like this.
  22. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I don't hear any blues in Good times bad times, What is and what should never be, Heartbreaker, Ramble on, Communication breakdown, Your time is gonna come...

23. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Agree #2 and #4

Sanctuary likes this.
  24. Wordnat2

Wordnat2 Square as hay, dull as cattle.

THIS THIS THIS. Personality is 90% of the Lead Singer Game. Who cares how “skilled” a vocalist is if said vocalist is singing “we belong in a world that must be strong because that’s what dreams are made of” dog****?

25. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Agree 100%.
    It seems the whole point of this band is "look how cool and great record collectors we are".

And besides this, a lot of their fans are terribly annoying pretentious jerks who look down to anyone who dislikes them.

Man at C&A likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.