Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2020 Subscriptions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mgb70, Oct 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

What show was that (an April Fools show)? Obviously '90 or '91 with the Smith 6-banger. Mine is nicer than Phil's:

[​IMG]

2. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

1 April 1993- Nassau.

PS- Nice Ax!!!!

3. trd

trd Forum Resident

[​IMG]

4. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The decision to use John Cutler’s on the fly two-track mixes for the first Spring ‘90 box when they could have used available multi-tracks was way worse in my decision, although I also wish the Europe box mixes had been given more time. Steppin Out and Hundred Year Hall both definitely are mixed better than most shows in the trunk.

steveharris, ronbow, Mad Dog and 15 others like this.
  5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Agree that it was both a very unfortunate mis-step, and also that Norman is a great engineer. I hope the silver lining is that it gives him. Reason to remaster it as part of a complete BCT ‘72 box, but not holding my breath.

pterodactyl, bzfgt, uzn007 and 6 others like this.
  6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Should’ve taken that left turn at Albuquerque. Oh wait, I’m talking about Neil Young archival releases now.

7. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I'm surprised that Phil/Barney used a Smith in '93, but thanks for the grounding.

Be sure that playing that is a real bugger and bit like grapplin' with an angry ex-wife and an absolutely belligerent Attorney. I've made it through both scenarios.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    notesofachord, US Blues and trd like this.
  8. TwoJokersInEveryPack

TwoJokersInEveryPack Forum Resident

Yeah, it's not the VAT/customs duties, it's the "facilitation fee" that annoys me. From the UK government website:

Goods Value Customs Charges applicable
    £0.01 to £15: No customs duty, No Import VAT
    £15.01 to £135: No customs duty, Import VAT due
    £135.01 and greater: Customs duty due, Import VAT due

So, Dave's Picks are $25 each, under the subscription scheme, which currently works out at £19 or thereabouts. So we're paying VAT (the equivalent of Sales Tax, for non-European readers) @ 20% on £19, so £3.75 but subject to currency fluctuations, which is why the amounts vary. But the vast majority of it is the Royal Mail charging £8 for dropping a card through the letterbox demanding the money.

Sadly, the Royal Mail was sold off to the private sector a few years back, and has become less reliable (lost items, delayed deliveries) over the past few years. Nothing on what USPS seems to be going through at the moment, though.

The collapse in historic terms of the $/£ exchange rate over the past few years means that where Dave's Picks and Road Trips didn't attract this charge in previous years, they do now. For a couple of the big boxes, Rhino/Dead.net did the importing to the EU in bulk, and picked up the import duties, then distributed from within the EU. This presumably worked for them financially, but was a nice bonus for us. For Dave's Picks it looks like meaning that the subscription scheme effectively costs £30 or so per set, and like Nodrog96 above it begs the question as to whether it's worth subscribing.

I probably will, because that way my Dave's Picks are guaranteed, and also it's possible that the odd one will slip through (I've had big boxes not get hit before now, simply because Customs & Excise have missed them and not applied charges).

9. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

Not many box sets I would love more than a '72 BCT, but considering they already released one of the shows seems unlikely. I was so confused when they released the last night as I was convinced that would be an upcoming box set...my hunch is that even after all the Betty's came back they were still missing at least one or two reels where a full box set just didn't make sense.

We really should get 8-24-72 at some point though...and in the meantime I'll settle for a '72 Fox Box!

10. Crosseyed

Crosseyed help I'm a rock

100% I'm not digging the mixes on the Europe box - Keith is buried in some of them and that's just plain criminal. To me the mixes sound dull and lack stereo imaging (dimension). They had access to the multitracks! The box set belies the fact that Betty was at the recording helm for these. If you want to hear how a multitrack is done right listen to Ladies and Gentleman (spring 71) or Spirit of 76 (New Years eve).

11. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

That first Box has SO MANY good shows. It is very annoying every time I think about what might have been...

Crispy Rob, PhoffiFozz, Ray29 and 2 others like this.
  12. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Norman has said he was rushed to finish the mixes for marketing purposes. You would think with such an important project, arguably their best tour ever, time would have been allowed to do it right.

13. Yardbird

Yardbird Forum Resident

Finally! both #35s (10712 & 11453) received.

Big time USPS issues in Baltimore - businesses and regular folks are experiencing significant delays.

14. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

The one thing that is enjoyable about the 2011 E72 mixes is the sound of the guitars. Jerry, Bob and Phil are very up-front in the mix and there is a warm richness to their tone. Also, you can hear Ron’s Hammond much better than on any previous mix of the material. He is usually buried.

On the other hand, yes, Keith is WAY TOO LOW in the mix. The stereo imaging is not great, as you noted, (although I’m not sure that having a wide, spacious sound is the most important thing). Also, occasionally I can hear an annoying harsh overtone on Billy’s cymbals, although that may have been on the tapes rather than something caused by JN’s mastering chain. Who knows.

Crispy Rob, budwhite, Butzi and 9 others like this.
  15. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

Been loving this pick so far. Not sure if it’s got that “it” factor or if fits the mood I’m in right now but I can’t get enough of it. In spite of its obvious shortcomings (6:43 in Estimated Prophet, for instance, Bob’s scream is like an implosion of sound) there’s an energy to this show that can’t be denied. It’s funny how sometimes shows have something that keeps you coming back to them even if on paper there’s better shows. DaP 31 (12/3/79) was another one like that for me although on the energy side was the total opposite, still something that drew me in. Maybe I’m always rooting for the underdog...
    I wish we could have gotten the rest of 4/19 but thankfully they were able to squeeze in as much as they did for a single release, even if I mostly spin the discs and not crazy about getting up so often to listen in the actual order.

16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Hey, at least we’ve finally answered the musical question, “Who can stop what must arrive now?”

uzn007, KCWhistle and bzfgt like this.
  17. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Wait til u check in during shipping notice week

US Blues and bzfgt like this.
  18. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

theres a few times bob screams on this pick and its rather harsh to put it nicely

I333I, AlienRendel and bzfgt like this.
  19. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Mine too. The big question is whether or not @footlooseman is a “Footloose” man.

20. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Yes, that is my second biggest frustration. It's honestly equally as frustrating as the Europe box, but the Europe box was always my dream come true...

Crispy Rob, Woodville and trd like this.
  21. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

The Bob scream on EP is pretty bad. Fortunately the rest of the song is good enough to not have it ruined. But, boy oh boy, it’s bad.

bzfgt and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

It’s like he instantly goes hoarse

I333I likes this.
  23. searing75

searing75 Forum Resident

The Stranger is wonderful. Great jam at the end. This is my only Dave’s Picks. I have 30 Dicks Picks, but have not been able to justify the cost for shows now that I have access to the archive online. I wanted 35 because I love this era and wish there would be more releases from it. 82’-84’!

24. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I know I'm in the minority, but I love those two-track mixes. They sound like you're in the venue. They really sound live.

Yes. I love this about the E72 box. Shortly after the trunk announcement, I asked Dave if they were going to bring up Pigpen's organ and he answered an emphatic yes, wherever possible. So that element was a conscious decision.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  25. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I was kinda surprised he's so hoarse, as mid-80s is generally the golden era for Bob screams. 3/20/86 is my all-time favorite Estimated for that...if you're inta that.

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.