Schiit Sol- The Next Great Turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by msinderson, Sep 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winders

winders Music Lover

Your mistake is thinking that we have this huge mass of fluid in an open system and we have created a current in the fluid. That's not how damping systems work. The damping system is fighting the inertia....not adding to it. But, whatever.....

2. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

Poul Ladegaard wrote a paper on this subject when he was with Brüel & Kjær. Damping serves to diminish the amplitude of resonance, which in itself is a good idea especially when combined with a relatively high resonant frequency of 14-18Hz. In my own experience I found it can also reduce a bearing's tendency to chatter, but like anything, it can be overdone.

3. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Yeah I think that is my mistake, the fluid selected is of reasonably high viscosity and the paddle small enough, to prevent the formation of any sort of wave or current.

Thanks for the explanation!

4. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

It's been 6 weeks since the last post on allegedly "the next great turntable". Perhaps time and silence has spoken.

5. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

I use mine for 4-12 hours every day and love it. If any people on the fence here have questions, I'd be happy to lend my perspective, but I think the Sol is great.

6. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

I'm still enjoying mine. The pandemic has diverted attention from such luxuries. I'm glad I got it when I did before the lockdown.

7. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Michael Fremer is supposedly working on a review of Sol to be published soon.

8. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

I will be very interested in this review. Glad to see people enjoying their tables. I was just surprised to see the dialogue suddenly go dark after a rapidly evolved 30 page thread.

33na3rd likes this.
  9. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Yes, it will be very interesting to read Mr Fremer's impressions.

I would be very tempted to try Sol myself, if I had a surplus of cash & space.

10. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

I too, will indeed be interesting to hear Mr. Fremer's review. Although I absolutely loathe the tonearm and wonder how to accomplish vibration isolation and resonance control, it could make an interesting foundation to a custom turntable if the speed stability is decent. With a custom plinth and a decent tonearm, there are possibilities...

11. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Whatever you do, please do keep in mind this is not a table costing thousands of dollars. For what it is and how much it cost, it is an excellent machine. What issue do you have with the tonearm and is this all theoretical, or have you actually heard it? Because the tonearm is my favorite part of the offering. Having had a Jelco SA-750 (12" version), a VPI 10.5" unipivot, and a ClearAudio arm in my room prior, the Schiit is basically better than all of them in terms of dynamics and resolution, combined with excellent tracking and "imperfect record" management.

I just find your take hilarious. "Aside from... the arm, plinth, and vibration control it's probably great!" Yea, it's probably also just a motor, then.

12. tayside

tayside Active Member

Apologies for a late reply to this thread but may I say, with no offence intended to the Fluance fan, if someone's end game turntable is a Fluance RT 82, it must have been a short and uninspiring game.

13. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

Seen as Michael Fremer is currently doing a review of this turntable, I think it'd be a good time to revive this discussion.

I've got a MoFi StudioDeck. How do you guys think the Sol compares to this?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    BeauZooka likes this.
  14. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

15. periclimenes

Hahaha. That's my video. Neat little trick the Sol can do.

16. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

That's a neat thing the Sol can do.

17. toddrhodes

I've got a note into Schiit - I think my platter/bearing assembly is a little out of spec, and that's why I've had some speed struggles. In trying to fix it myself I darn near FUBAR'd the thing. But I've got it back to an acceptable level of speed and stability, but I know it can be better and others are no longer having any issues.

To that end, I repurposed my big butcher block from the kitchen to be an isolation base for it and it really helps reduce microphonics and environmental feedback. I've got it sitting on a few IsoPucks for added isolation.

I'm also going to pick up a Nag MP-500 as an upgrade from my MP-200 which I adore. The 200 has a little life left in it so I want to get something newer and relegate it to backup duty.

I've also put in an offer on a Phoenix Falcon PSU to try and eventually build a Falcon/Roadrunner combo for even more speed stability.

Lastly, my system, and it might be my cart, but I am having a ground/hum issue. I have literally tried everything to fix it and while i can minimize, I have not been able to totally eliminate it. It's done this on two different phono stages so it's not that, and it's only an issue when the cart is in the circuit. So if the Falcon works out, I may bypass the "I/O pod" entirely. Part of my thinking is that I want to do what Ripblade did on another forum, but I lack his soldering skills to separate the audio and chassis grounds. Taking it from the tonearm wiring should allow me to do that, though. I know some folks are able to not use a ground at all, but that is most definitely not the case in my setup, for whatever reason.

New digs:
    [​IMG]

pexie, BeauZooka and Dignan2000 like this.
  18. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

Well that hum doesn't sound too nice...

I wonder if Michael Fremer will discuss it in his review, whenever that may be released.

19. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

How many hours did you get out of your Nag 200?

20. toddrhodes

I seem to be an outlier in this regard but of the couple of similar experiences I've read, they've also involved a Nagaoka cart. Far from a quorum, but there may be a correlation. Frankly the hum is not that bad, I just want to try and resolve it and am willing to get a little creative to do it.

There are plenty of folks for whom the grounding scheme - and not running a ground lead to your phono stage at all - seems to work perfectly. So I don't think it's a table issue, it's environment or my cart, I think.

I'm running pretty close to 400 hours now. I don't hear any signs of it starting to fade on me outside of what I think is a bit more IGD than I had gotten before, but I honestly don't recall if it's the record or the cart at fault there. That said, I've had so many carts in the last 5 years and the MP-200 is by far my favorite for the money spent. Just fun, balanced, and easy to crank and enjoy. It's not going to amaze and mystify with soundstage and air or 3D imaging (though it's no slouch), but it's tonality is really right down Main Street for me.

21. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Wonder if he will do a TT comparison as for the 1200G?

22. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

That's cool. Does the tonearm lift move with the VTA adjustment? In case a KAB support plate for transcription discs is used there may be need for a bit more clearance between the record and the lift.

23. periclimenes

I had some correspondence with Michael Fremer about the Sol and he told me that adding a Musical Hall Cruise Control 2.0 "produces a major upgrade," so you should enjoy your Falcon!

bajaed likes this.
  24. toddrhodes

Looks like it'll have to be the Cruise Control for me too - the Falcon sold to someone in front of me. No worries though, the CC should work great.

25. toddrhodes

It just occurred to me that with a Cruise Control, I wonder if I can revisit my silk string belt attempt on Sol. I couldn't use it before because the thickness of the string produces too slow a speed but if I can speed up the pulley slightly... I will say that despite running slow, the W/F using the string was MUCH better than with any of the belts I currently have access to from Schiit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.