What's with Jersey City, NJ USPS Sorting Facility?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by whaiyun, Apr 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear.

I swear. I just ordered something off of a store in Philadelphia in discogs. My order is going to California. Why was it sent to Jersey City? Doesn't the post office understand East from West? Does everything automatically go to Jersey City? I wonder how long they'll hold my package?

2. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Was it sent via Media Mail? Jersey City is a USPS hub for Media Mail, that's why it goes there.

Mike H. likes this.
  3. Francophile50

Probably. That explains it. Thank you very much.

4. Mike H.

Mike H. Forum Resident

And JC is extremely backed up due to everything going with USPS right now. I had a record shipped from NJ to NY via media mail. It took over 30 days. It was sent out to New Mexico and back twice and finally across the river to NYC.

5. Francophile50

There are apologists on this forum that will tell you that the USPS is not outdated and all the problems come from outside of the post office. there may be some external influences however how the post office has been run for a long time is how it is run today. Why was your package sent where it didn't need to be sent?

These are all questions we need to ask ourselves and the post office. They need to be held accountable and shown how inefficient they are at times. We don't need to shame them into doing their job but we just need to tighten things up so that they can be run more efficiently and save money that they can keep and pay their employees.

6. Mike H.

Mike H. Forum Resident

Republicans have been actively trying to sabotage the USPS for decades and in 2006, congress forced the USPS to create a $72 billion pension fund to pay for post-retirement healthcare costs 75 years into the future. The huge financial strain is directly caused by Republicans who then publicly say "The USPS can't even do their jobs" while simultaneously refusing to fund it. It's a Republican strategy that goes well beyond the USPS: gut a department/office or hire someone incompetent to run it, complain that that department/office isn't doing it's job and then try to completely cut it in favor of privatization. When has privatization ever really been good for consumers? The USPS provides a service that other companies literally do not provide. UPS/FedEx refuses to send packages to certain areas. If they (or Amazon) take over for the USPS, those people are screwed. They will be unable to get packages with things such as life-saving medication unless they pay exorbitant amounts of money for delivery. There's a reason why the postal service is in the constitution--it's necessary for most Americans to survive.

7. Francophile50

This is not the platform to discuss or debate a political reason why the post office is incapable of efficiency. I am not convinced one side is more liable or guilty of hampering the effiency of the post office. Your argument doesn't convince me for if the right was trying to destroy the post office for decades why didn't the left fix this problem when it had the chance to 10 years ago? No need to answer for there is no reason because there was no right wing conspiracy to do anything. Let's just stay in reality and call the post office what it is. A outdated system manned by great people who need money to update a system so that it can become the efficient system we all know it can be.

8. Mike H.

Mike H. Forum Resident

I don't mean to bring politics into it, but I suggest doing some reading about the entire situation to gain some context about WHY these issues are occurring in the post office and what is currently happening. To answer your other question about why mail is being routed to cities it doesn't need to be routed through, there has been an influx in online shipping with COVID and people not going to physical stores, and USPS has been understaffed due to COVID.

We agree that it needs more funding to operate as it should. There is one group of people in the government who are preventing that currently (and have been for years) and I'll just leave it at that.

GentleSenator likes this.
  9. Francophile50

Unfortunately the post office has become a political football. I think both sides are guilty of not treating the post office with the respect it deserves. The current administration needed to put in changes years ago as opposed to right before an election. Also the other side needed to pass laws or make efforts to prepare for more mail in votes. In the meantime people who use the mail and those who deliver the mail suffer. we can point fingers and lay blame but the simple fact of the matter is the post office is not up to the challenge. It's not that they are incompetent it's that they're incapable and who's to blame for that? It doesn't matter. How do we fix this? Now that is what matters.

10. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

This idea of "both sides are guilty" infuriates me. If this shuts down a thread or two that has outlasted its expiration date,so be it. The problems ain't in jersey City,it is in D.C.
    The current stuff going on is one sided. The "pay the pensions" for unborn postal workers was one big H-bomb for screwing up the USPS and it was done by one of the "both sides",meant to cripple a three legged stool. The Cheeto-In -Chief decried a protest in Charlottesville,Va. as having good people on both sides-surely a lie as one side killed a member of the other side. Murder. Meanwhile ,when the "pay pensions for unborn workers" came about,the guy in charge left a series of out-of -control wildfires that needed attention before anything good could be passed for the USPS. And remember, Senator Tortoise wanted to make this a once & done presidency-trying to get in the way of as much as possible. In 2010,he got part of his wish granted. Then-six years of obstruction and people,U.S. citizens caught in the cross-hairs,while we crawled out of things S L O W L Y.
    And yet you did and it does. I do not apologize for my rant,knowing that it will be censored,as it should. I've been suffering from TDS since 11/8/16 and as we get closer to 11/3/20 and the eventual declared winner. I'm getting more anxious every hour to see these four years end,even on a sad note.But know one side is the real bad guy here. Vote. Jam up the USPS system as sorting machines are taken(where do they go?). Any junk mail with a free postage envelope-stuff it and send it back. More mail. More hassles. More unsolved problems for Mr. DeJoy and his invested fortunes to end the USPS.

Mike H. likes this.
  11. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

Experiencing massive delays once again in Jersey City. Today I was at my local NJ office and someone was there complaining about "lost" packages in Jersey City and the employee was blaming the delays on a roof collapse at the greater Newark Processing and Distribution Center 3 weeks ago. My guess is they are diverting deliveries to other centers but any time one bad thing happens in NJ it snowballs so bad they never recover before there next bad thing happens.

Jersey City is always a hot mess and has been for quite a while and it just keeps getting worse especially with media mai l which is lowest priority.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.