Seas a 26 kit. Devore 093/096 style

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by murphythecat, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Wayne Nielson

Wayne Nielson Forum Resident

I have no idea how to post them. I went to the suggested site, and its for someone that is not me. I can't figure it out at all.

Maybe Steve could offer a way to post on this site, rather then relying on some others for image posting. Everyone else does......

2. Helom

Helom Forum member

I found your pic on AK:

[​IMG]

Impressive work. I’m not at all familiar with the original Dynaco sound. Aside from the color, the woofers look very similar to the Seas units. Do the originals have foam surrounds? Hard to tell from the pic. Do they have square magnets like Advents?

I received my A26 kit today but unfortunately I have to wait a few more days for the cabinets to arrive. Interestingly, these 10” Seas woofers are much lighter than the 8” woofers in my Spendors despite having similar sized voice coils and magnet diameters.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Tim 2, 33na3rd and Salectric like this.
  3. james

james Summon The Queen

I work for a company that hosts a similar forum. We got sued because a user uploaded a copyrighted photo.

screw that. Imgur is easy. Not worth the liability (and there’s plenty on a music-centric website).

asilker and Archguy like this.
  4. Wayne Nielson

Thanks for posting the photo!

The woofer and tweeter are SEAS drivers. These drivers were upscale from the A25 model. The tweeter is the H086, the woofer is the 25 TV-EW ( I think). There is a 3 position tweeter level control on the back thru a Zobel resistive network. Cross-over is very simple. The woofer is rolled off naturally, the tweeter has an 8uf cap in series with the coil and a 1mh coil across the tweeter coils. Impedance is 8 ohms.

Wayner

Helom likes this.
  5. Wayne Nielson

[​IMG]

Hopefully this photo shows up. This shows the back side.

Tim 2, timind, action pact and 4 others like this.
  6. waterclocker

waterclocker Forum Resident

Time for a long overdue update! I was finally able to pull my 8008-Corner out of the system long enough to finish them. I used Band-It walnut veneer from PE with a Danish Oil dark walnut finish. Still sound as good as ever, now they look great too :) I would still highly recommend them for small to medium rooms with a 3.5+ watt SET amp (Also worked well with my 2w 45 SET, but only low to moderate volumes(room is about 9' by 13')). I will have to post assembled pictures after I wax them. I also plan to try Duelund resistors in them.

[​IMG]

Tim 2, beowulf, 33na3rd and 1 other person like this.
  7. Helom

Helom Forum member

Got the tracking number for my cabinets today. Out of curiosity I looked up the company they're shipping from and it turns out it's a small U.S. speaker operation I've never heard of. They have some interesting models that appear to use high-quality drivers:

index1

bhazen, Salectric and Ro-Go like this.
  8. marskem

marskem New Member

@Helom Newbie here, but just wanted you to know I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions of the speakers. I'm thinking of getting the kit also. Thanks.

9. Helom

Helom Forum member

Actually just finished the build tonight. Have only been listening for a couple hours but initial impressions are good. Will post pics once my room is cleaned up.

beowulf and bhazen like this.
  10. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

Looks like an interesting company. How did they pull off such a convincing 1998-era website, though?

timind and Helom like this.
  11. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

(From sourcespeaker.com)
    Wonder what this one sounds like ...? :)
    Seems like the A26 kind of idea.

Perhaps maybe more like Decware DM945 (8" wool/carbon woofer.) $1,195/pair

18WC

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  12. Helom

Helom Forum member

Here they are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I deviated some from the standard kit. Most surface area of the interiors are lined with GR Research No-Rez. Crossover cap was hot-glued to the foam for resonance purposes. Used brass wood screws to secure the drivers. I probably have too much poly-fill in the slots at the moment. Will experiment with that in the near future but want to break them in first.

[​IMG]

Tim 2, Dignan2000, avanti1960 and 9 others like this.
  13. Helom

Helom Forum member

Initial assessment after a few hours break-in:

• good transparency and resolution, especially in the highs
    • midrange is good though not quite Stirling/Spendor level
    • wide soundstage
    • imaging is about as good as can be expected with wide baffles, maybe it’s better with tweeters placed outboard as the designers intended, I haven’t experimented there but for now the imaging is good enough
    • bass extension is a bit disappointing but I need to experiment with the slot loading.
    • bass texture is pretty good.
    • some cabinet resonance that is mostly complimentary to the music, i.e. enhances the body of acoustic guitars. In this sense they’re not unlike the thin-wall BBC approach.
    • mid-tweeter is the real star of the show so far.
    • Overall they definitely represent good value and are exhibiting many of the traits typically found in $4K/pair speakers.

14. bhazen

Good intial review!

When you say bass extension is limited, would you say they go at least as deep as LS3/5A-type speakers? I'm guessing not as deep as your Spendors and Stirlings?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  15. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat Thread Starter

oh yeah, much deeper then ls35a. bass cannot even be compared.
    the A26 drop off around 50hz. ls35a around 75hz

id say it has the extension of your ls6, but with better bass definition, more slam and punch

bhazen likes this.
  16. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Forgive me if this has been covered already, but how efficient are these speakers? Would they be a good match for an appox. 14wpc EL84 amp (Fisher X100) in a small room?

Rolltide likes this.
  17. Helom

Helom Forum member

I haven’t conducted measurements but I would guess their F3 in my room is about 60Hz. My Spendors and Stirlings definitely extend lower but I probably have way too much polyfill in the A26s at the moment. As of now I’m getting the sort of bass I expect from a 7” driver.

The graphs on the Seas webpage show a rolloff beginning around 70Hz.

bhazen likes this.
  18. Helom

Helom Forum member

My estimate is 86db.

19. action pact

Ah, I see. That settles that then!

Thank you!

20. murphythecat

I use a el84 pp amp. enough for my small room. but not enough for a big room.
    I rate the A26 at about 87-88db efficiency

action pact likes this.
  21. action pact

I have a pair of Spendor SP3/1R2 (88dB IIRC), which work pretty well with my Fisher, but I can sense that the speakers really want more power; the bass sounds kind of loose.

I'm currently powering them with 50 watts of solid state, a Rega Brio-R, and getting better results.

I really love that little Fisher, but finding appropriate speakers is challenging, to say the least. I'm really trying to avoid horns, and based on what I've ready, Zu Dirty Weekends would work, but I'm concerned about their reputation for forwardness, as I prefer the warmer presentation of BBC-type speakers and similar.

But this is a topic for a different thread...

bhazen likes this.
  22. murphythecat

yeah, el84 pp with 87db speakers are not the perfect match. hence why im building a pair of diy 3 way which will be 95db efficiency

action pact likes this.
  23. action pact

Ooo, that sounds intriguing!

24. bhazen

Ah, cool!

The LS6 is only a 6.5" woofer, can't move the air a 10" should be able to.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  25. Wayne Nielson

Let the drivers loosen up a wee-bit. I think things will improve.........

bhazen likes this.