Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2020 Subscriptions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mgb70, Oct 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

This is one of the things I love about the E72 box mixes, the way they show how much Ron contributed to the shows and really helps the songs he plays organ on is a huge plus in my books

2. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I think the other thing mentioned at the time of the release on top of what was said already, they were going more for the sound in the room I think is what Norman/Glasser said. I'd add if you can HDCD decode them it helps a little bit, opens up the mid-range some in my estimation.

notesofachord, Crosseyed and US Blues like this.
  3. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I used to say the same thing, and now I'm paying a premium to go back and pick up the crucial Dave's Picks that I want to have in my physical collection (those I can afford).

Uncle Miles, searing75, Butzi and 4 others like this.
  4. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Its thanks to Europe that this is even charged they basically said the government was not doing enough to collect VAT.
    So the government allowed the 'faciltation fee' before that the post office only did it regularly on High value items as they were the ones they made money on.
    The fee should be sliding so no more than the tax amount payable up to a maximum of £10. Its computer that do all the work soon need for it really

US Blues likes this.
  5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

notesofachord and garymc like this.
  6. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Strangely enough, my replacement order of DP34 did not bring any import Vat etc, because Rhino declared 10usd instead of 25 or 30 that they do lately...otherwise I d have to pay 24%VAT and 15euro fee...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Interesting. If I ever get my replacement 33 hopefully they do the same

RiRiIII likes this.
  8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

All I’ll say, without either confirming or denying, is that I was in the building that night. But maybe Lou Barlow was as well...

9. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

They did that with my replacement 77 box no VAT or fees

budwhite likes this.
  10. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Been listening to 35 on my drive to and from work today. There’s some real magic in the Scarlet>Fire and I love how the mood totally changes, Scarlet has quite a high pace but as it goes into Fire it slows down and gets super relaxed.

beatboy1975, adamos, US Blues and 6 others like this.
  11. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

It would be nice if they could re-issue the first 4 (or so) Daves Picks in some form, like a box set. Seems like they all sell for hundreds of dollars on Ebay.

12. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

This Space is fascinating.

giantleech, adamos, US Blues and 5 others like this.
  13. John C Bradley Jr

John C Bradley Jr Forum Resident

I wonder if down the road someone like Real Gone Music will start "reissuing" the Dave's picks (much like they are doing with certain Road Trips/Dick's Picks Now). I've been picking a lot of those off Ebay and also Real Gone. I can more or less justify the cost of most of those by buying from Real Gone or finding a good deal on Ebay.

I've pretty much left Dave's alone (other than the new ones) due to the costs. Stiff price for most on the secondary market.

14. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

This is pretty much where I am. My Dick's Picks collection is a hodge-podge of Real Gone reissues and the original releases, a few picked up back when they were originally released and most picked up over the years as I've come across them in the wild. I still don't have Dick's #25, but from the reviews I've read of that one, it doesn't sound like it would be worth the near three figures I've seen it go for.

My Road Trips collection is all based on the Real Gone reissues so far, except the first two that had been up at Dead.net until fairly recently.

I started collecting Dave's Picks with #15 and I have all of those up to now. I managed to randomly come across a copy of Dave's #5 at a local shop for, I believe, $40... which was well worth the price. But I'm not about to pay three figures for any of the others I'm missing.

15. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I would like that. I went back to get a bunch of DaP (to #9), but stopped looking when prices started getting ridiculously high a couple years ago. I can't see it happening until well after the RT reissue series is complete

16. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’d like the Daves Picks to be reissued. My collection starts at number 11 (I’m missing 12 though) so I can’t really afford to fill the gaps

Uncle Miles and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

Supposed to be getting DaP 34 with the bonus disc today. I was totally in after hearing that "Dark Star" > "Spanish Jam" on So Many Roads. Discogs buy, didn't get totally gouged thankfully. The subscription is a leap of faith, but clearly the value way to go.

I'm in the same boat, picked up the DiPs that I was interested in either from Real Gone or older issues at OK prices from digging around the web. Only a couple that I'm still jonesing for.

I noticed this listing for a Dick's #25 preorder, perhaps that's the next one coming from Real Gone...

https://www.amazon.com/Dicks-Picks-...eywords=dick's+picks+25&qid=1597777391&sr=8-2

Nothing official from Real Gone yet though so we'll see.

I'd really like a reissue of DiP #35 too, hard to find that guy around.

18. Grateful Griller

Grateful Griller Forum Resident

Amazon has DP 25 as a presale although is $57.

19. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

There's a decades and decades long tried and true practice of reselling music in the Music Industry. Don't worry, they'll find the time to reissue everything.

And after hearing how much better the Plangented 2/21/71 sounds over the old 2/19/71 Vault release, I'd actually be excited to get some of these retransferred

20. GuidedByJonO)))

Cool, looks like maybe Real Gone is gonna do another #25 release, that would be great by me. $57 isn't bad, given that it is 4 discs and the only remaining hole in my collection. A local shop had it for $95 a few months ago, but that was too rich for my blood.

21. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

A minor thing, but Dick’s 25 was my least favorite cover art of the series.

22. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’d always heard good things about DP25 but has it been superseded by more recent 78 releases?

US Blues likes this.
  23. GuidedByJonO)))

I would agree. I know they tried to do something special to commemorate #25 but, uh, that didn't do the job as well as it could have.

BlueTrane and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

No. All 1978 shows are required listening.

25. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Pleased to hear it. Looks like this is another one to add to my collection

Matthew Tate and US Blues like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.