New Tom Petty album dropping "Wildflowers - All the Rest"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Gupton, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Jeff Bramwell

Jeff Bramwell Forum Resident

Wow, what a day! It's finally on its way, and at the earliest date I think any of us could have projected, just in time for his birthday. I'll admit my eyes popped a little bit at that $500 option, but it was a no brainer for me. This album has given me so much over the past 25+ years.

There are some super interesting tidbits to be learned from that track list. Have Love Will Travel (or at least the germ of the idea) dating to Wildflowers among them.

2. Mike H.

Mike H. Forum Resident

Someone above claimed that the folks at Bernie Grundman are involved but I haven't seen that definitively anywhere.

3. RJD1954

RJD1954 Forum Resident

Sh1t, that’s pricy.
    For 5cds to get to Australia it’s $270AUD.
    Sh1t that’s pricy.

4. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

I'm trying to nose about for further definitive information on this. As @btltez stated, the standalone digital downloads options that are offered through the official website do not contain any of the exclusives inherent to fifth disc/programme as included on either the five compact disc or 9-LP collections. However, it is reasonable to assume that those who purchase either/or the five compact-disc or nine-LP collections should be afforded a digital download of all the contents contained within? Perhaps Ryan Ulyate can chime in and give us the particulars on that?

5. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Judging by past practice, I'll most likely get the hi-res version of the super deluxe, if available, for the superior mastering as opposed to the CD version, if it's different this time around I may reconsider, we'll see.

A few observations:

- The digital download options listed on Tom's website do not specify whether they're hi-res or CD quality, judging by the price I would guess the latter.

- The only way to get the "16 alternate versions recorded in the studio (“Finding Wildflowers”) tracks is Super/Ultra Deluxe vinyl and CD sets.

- No hi-res download codes with the deluxe vinyl sets?

Absolutely thrilled this is finally happening, very much looking forward to it!

Matthew Tate and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  6. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

This looks incredible.. I thought "Lonesome Dave" would be in there. That track kills.
    "Sweet William" is more "Echo" than "Wallflowers" right?

Decisions, decisions...

Does the 5CD version contain vinyl as well? It doesn't say "5CD+2LP" but the description says "In addition to the 15 track original album (remastered on 2 LPs), the deluxe edition contains..."

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. dixiedixie69

dixiedixie69 Forum Resident

'Dear Wallet, I'm really sorry ' :(

Sean, TheLoveDrags, supermd and 7 others like this.
  8. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

Adria mentioned that they were involved during the announcement on Tom Petty Radio.

Mike H. likes this.
  9. Otis1974

Otis1974 Forum Resident

Thanks, got to figure out how to work the 5 CD into the budget.

10. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Sorry if someone already said this, but fascinating on the home recording of the title track that we get a little bit of Hard to Find a Friend in the bridge. This whole set is going to be a fascinating document of the whole project. Great to see this being done RIGHT for all the fans...

btltez, Paperback Writer and FJFP like this.
  11. Blue Sky

Blue Sky Well-Known Member

Jeez, as we Aussies all know from bitter experience, postage for packages from the USA to here is usually eye-wateringly huge. So... $32 is very reasonable. Hopefully they'll sort out quarantine waiting, or it'll be Christmas before we can actually hold it in our hands. [EDIT - unless it's relatively cheap postage because it's posted direct from Warners stock here in Australia (not from USA) - in which case bonus - no quarantine delays!!!]

Still, that's life, so happy thoughts, right? What a wonderful surprise!! So grateful to the band & Dana & whoever else is involved that this release is actually happening - that they came through! "Thank you" from this delighted fan!!!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  12. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

This is probably a dumb question but does the fabric bag with the ultra exclusive lp version house everything? Just asking because it looks like it would be a tight fit just for the lps.

J_D__ and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

As I understand it, the digital bundle attached to the physical media currently available of on the official website is found in three formats [mp3, flac, wav]. There are 24bit HD versions of all three tracks that have been currently issued to market available for purchase right now at HDTRACKS.

14. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

they mentioned it on the xm release show, i heard it too.

Mike H. likes this.
  15. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Need a LOVE button!!

Blue Sky likes this.
  16. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

It is the $150.00 Cd box for me...looks amazing

J_D__, TheLoveDrags, supermd and 2 others like this.
  17. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

The version of "Lonesome Dave" that is included on "An American Treasure" dates from a break in the "Wildflowers" sessions where Tom Petty reassembled The Heartbreakers and under the guidance of Rick Rubin embarked on a short sprint of sessions that resulted in a bumper crop of tracks, most of which were cover songs of artists Tom Petty/Heartbreakers admired. While "Lonesome Dave" was submitted for copyright alongside the rest of the "Wildflowers" material in the summer of 1994, it was mentioned during the run-up to the release of "An American Treasure" that the Tom Petty Estate wishes to keep tracks exclusive to the collections that they were originally sired to. For example there is only one song ["The Apartment Song"] which is common to BOTH "Playback" and "An American Treasure". "Sweet William" dates from the "Echo" sessions and can still be found to this day on the b-side to the maxi-single for "Room At The Top".

The 5CD collection does not contain any vinyl.

18. These packages of options with their remastered originals, unreleased tracks, alt tracks and home versions puts the W.I.L.D. In Wildflowers!

Worth the “Wait” in gold. LOL

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  19. There are two 9 LP versions. The super duper is limited to 475 copies. The other one will be more but I’m sure limited but at a higher press run.

People shouldn’t snooze if they really want the expanded sets.

20. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

Natural E and Paperback Writer like this.
  21. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Thank you very much for all that information.

Hopefully they correct the listing for the 5CD set, because the way it's worded, it sure sounds like 2LPs are also in there.

Mike H. likes this.
  22. VictoryHighway

VictoryHighway Use of goto is deprecated.

I originally pre-ordered the 7LP version from Amazon, but that was before I saw the different versions that were going to be available. I changed my mind and preordered the 9LP Super Deluxe Edition from the Tom Petty store instead.

23. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

dockofthebay and Bonddm like this.
  24. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Oops, my post above should’ve read $32 (US)!
    I agree the postage is quite reasonable by Australian standards, but the Grateful Dead store amazingly only charged me $13.99 (US) for a 15 disc box set last year and threw in 10% off the order to boot!

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  25. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Preordered the 3lp set ! Now if Tom’s fellow Wilbury’s estate can get a All Things Must Pass set out, the year could wind up ending on a high note after all !

Wingsfan2012 and Matthew Tate like this.