History Channel's Alone

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris from Chicago, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Nope we only get season 7 on the ap, don't worry about spoilers if ever I get to see the earlier seasons I will have forgotten all about your comments :cool:.

Tree of Life likes this.
  2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

:laugh:

3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Dude, I like you, I really do, but why come into a thread about a show on a network you profess to hate? You obviously have zero interest in “Alone” so what gives? Why the thread crap ?

Borgia likes this.
  4. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

He’s an attention seeker Jason, and not worth a reply. Since I ditched direct TV haven’t bothered getting a service that carries alone. I come here for the recaps from deuce and yourself.
    I always enjoyed watching the show and I’ll have to wait to see it.
    BTW....Anyone heard from Chris?

GodShifter likes this.
  5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Unfortunately, Chris is MIA. :( I hope I didn’t ruin anything for you with my long post. I just started S7. I’m one episode in. It’s as good as ever.

Tree of Life and Deuce66 like this.
  6. Borgia, while not really important, I think it is worth saying.
    Amos decided to tap out.
    He talked about his food being depleted, as well as his body showing signs of depletion. He was not very optimistic about future hunting and gathering due to the extreme cold.
    He talked about his mental quest, goals, and how he feels he has fulfilled his desires.
    Then he called to tap out.
    As he was paking his stuff his shelter caught fire.
    He tried to put it out but that was a futile effort.
    He did his best to get his stuff out of the shelter, while also filming the whole thing (this part gives me pause)
    He was not able to get everything out of the shelter and the video shows the results...they also talk about the event in the after show discussion.

Amos was a good contestant, and good survival person. Calm, mindful, in good spirits. I think he could survive (as well as some others) if he was given two months prior to the start in order to stock up and supply himself for the desolation of harsh winter life.

The contestants begin their survival challenge at a pretty terrible time. Winter is coming, vegitation is done, and animals are quickly altering their lives to hole up and survive the winter.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    Tree of Life, GodShifter and Borgia like this.
  7. I have watched each of the shows you listed and have stopped watching all of them for various reasons.
    "The Curse of Oak Island" had promise...but felt dubious from the word go. After watching enough episodes I realized they were all about fake tension, dragging a theme out, and basically not doing much while makings it sound like they are really onto something....I lost interest quickly. I stopped by from time to time only to realize they are now 6" deeped after 12 months of "work".
    I was really turned away when they would spend three episodes talking about the new equipment they needed. Three more episodes explaining how difficult it will be getting the equipment. Three more episodes showing hints of attaining the new equipment (but never actually showing the equipment). Three more episodes talking about how excited they are for having the new equipment finally arrive (still unseen), and one episode showing everyone how awesome the work is now that they have the new equipment in action...Only to find out the new magic equipment is a spade shovel...a regular, one man, wood handle spade shovel just like 99% of the people on Earth have used and currently own...Eff you guys.

"Ancient Aliens" This show also had promise, if you are into that kind of stuff. I knew it would likely be a conjecture, theory, suggestion type show basically because the tangible evidens of aliens is so very limited...So it is a lot of thinking and talking. Not my favorite subject, but still interesting on some level.
    Then the host (Giorgio A. Tsoukalos) shows up with his purposely weird hair and self important attitude, and things just went down from there.
    He, more than anything, drove me away from the show...and quickly too. Of the three shows listed this is the one I gave up on the quickest.

"American Pickers" This show began with promise. Just a couple scrap hunters finding old stuff and selling it to those seeking. Simple, easy, straight forward and pretty fun from a seek and find mentality. The first couple seasons seemed pretty honest and we got to know Mike and Frank and Danielle as quirky but likeable people.
    Then it changed, slowly at first, with "discoveries" of really rare, valuable, unique items in the most unpredictable places.
    Soon it became readily apparent the show was seeding the pot and placing things to be "found".
    I completely understand some staging, scripting, and prior filming due to legal releases and TV censorship rules...but come on. They went too far and pretty much lost me.
    I tune in from time to time, but I no longer make a point to watch this show directly because of the lack of honestly in the show these days.

Fake drama, fake finds, fake reveals, fake assessments, fake appraisals, fake sales....Just too much fake in a show that was founded on being honest and nothing more than what it was. Simple can be good, and enjoyable, so long as it is not fake.

Tree of Life and GodShifter like this.
  8. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Wife binges this. I tell her,

"Why don't you just go camping?"

9. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Probably because we like our hardship at a distance and you know, happening to other people.

GodShifter and TheDailyBuzzherd like this.
  10. And your thread crapping holds no interest for us.

11. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I wouldn’t call that thread crapping. It’s an honest opinion.

12. I don't know audiomixer, I think you are right in the middle of thread crapping with your posts in this thread.
    I think posting a comment directly against the theme of the thread, as well as qualifying your comment with an attitude of the theme being something you would never do, is pretty much thread poop on a shoe.
    I suppose your posts could be both opinion and thread crapping at the same time.

Thread crapping occurs when a person comes into a thread and posts something contrary to the spirit/intent of the thread, often derailing the discussion or turning it into an argument.

13. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Camping a hardship? Nonsense!

I wouldn't do what these people do either. Crazy.

Of course, there's no way the production team
    will allow truly bad things to happen.

Whenever I see shows as this, it's rare, I think
    of John Cleese staring in the camera,

"Who's filming us now?"

14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

It's thread crapping, pure and simple. I've been banned from a thread for less. Please stop.

Tree of Life likes this.
  15. audiomixer

I will politely vacate the thread. :)

16. audiomixer

I will politely vacate the thread. :)

17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Kind of diverting from the topic of the thread, but I haven't seen any of the shows other than some of "American Pickers". It was pretty obvious, early on, the places they hit upon had been scouted earlier. The whole dialog with the girl in the office is totally contrived as is the bargaining with the people on sites. Everything is pre-arranged, the cameras are in place, etc. It's just completely staged and false.

To take it back to "Alone", I do wonder, sometimes, how certain shots are done that seem far too well done for the people that are participants. I often think there is an embedded crew that goes out and sets up cameras for certain shots. For instance, like S1 where Lukas is in his canoe and there's this far distance shot of him paddling it. That had to be a crew that set up a camera in that area. It could be as simple as the producers send out crews to get landscape & distance shots that cannot be obtained otherwise and they don't interact with any of the participants. I have no doubt what these people go through is real and, outside of medical checks, have no interaction with others (though I've often wondered if, at any point, two contestants have met up after, say, one goes on a long hike and maybe gets into another's territory). I'll also say, though, that the 'send offs' with the people having all their gear packed and saying goodbye to their family is completely staged. I've even seen a couple of the family members laughing due to how hokey it is. So, they put their gear on, walk out the door, wave goodbye, and then probably come back in and wait for another day or two until they get the call to go to the airport. But, hey, it's TV.

Tree of Life likes this.
  18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

All good, man. :)

Tree of Life and audiomixer like this.
  19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The final episode for season 7 airs tonight, lets see how brutal the conditions get, I still maintain that no one comes close to collecting the $$.

20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

So the question I have is: if no one completes the 100 days, no one wins anything? What if, hypothetically, three people finished the 100 days? Do they all win a million dollars? How does that work?

21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

They'll probably address that in the end of show re-cap. It sure sounds like it's an all or nothing contest. I'm going to assume if 2 people actually make it they get $500K each.

GodShifter likes this.
  22. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Found this bit of information

The seventh season is again set along the shore of the east arm of Great Slave Lake in the Northwest Territories of Canada. Drop off (Day 1) was on September 18, 2019

100 days would get them to around Dec 26. The biggest town around Great Slave Lake is Yellowknife pop. 19,500. Looking at the temperatures for Dec 2019 = no chance they made it, the average high was -22.2C with a low of -30.5C. -8°F to -22.9°F.

Tree of Life, Borgia and GodShifter like this.
  23. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

Well, that turned out like I thought it would. A good finale to the program. I'll leave it to others to describe it, if they wish.

Tree of Life likes this.
  24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Turns out somebody made it. Never say never (again!) :: weeps with stylized dramatic sensibilities ::

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    Deuce66 likes this.
  25. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I watched a few episodes on YouTube because of this thread and think it’s the best of the survival shows.

GodShifter and Borgia like this.