What did Clapton think about almost joining the Beatles?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by deadbirdie, Mar 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member Thread Starter

I always wondered what Eric Clapton thought about John Lennon's comment during the Get Back sessions: "If he [George Harrison] doesn’t come back by Tuesday, we get Clapton"

Was Lennon just thinking of having Clapton fill in for the sessions? Was he planning on offering him a position in the band if George quit? Was he stoned out of his mind? :p

Did EC ever comment on this particular quote by Lennon?

2. apple corpse

apple corpse Forum Resident

Eric was obsessing over Patti at the time, Don't think he would stoop so low as to take his wife AND his job.. :)

3. deadbirdie

haha! Great answer. :)

Did Clapton ever say he was flattered by the comment or anything?

4. 905

905 Senior Member

I don't think Paul would go for it, anyway. I remember reading in Doug Sulpy's book that John wanted Billy Preston to join the Beatles, but Paul wouldn't agree. John then started joking about how one day there could be more "new" Beatles than original Beatles.

5. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Kind of like seeing some of the "classic" bands (e.g. the "Beach Boys", Joey Molland's Badfinger) on tour today!

I'm so thankful the Beatles didn't stumble on through the 70's (and beyond)...

6. MichaelR

MichaelR New Member

I only wanted to know what Clapton thought about almost joining the Beatles !

I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition ....

turns expectantly ......

7. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!"

8. deadbirdie

9. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

Maybe "hmmm, maybe it would be great to help out Paul on that song he's doing called Junk".

:eek:

(it's a joke, people, calm down)

10. Torture can be so much fun...particularly while dancing.:D

I've never read a comment that Clapton had about Lennon's quip (I'm sure he was joking but I suspect he meant for Clapton to come in as a session player. I doubt that Clapton would consider coming in to replace Harrison and after his experience with Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker's disagreements, I'd think he'd stay clear of Lennon & McCartney!)

11. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Frankly, for various reasons, Lennon was acting like a real prick at that time. I doubt very much that he was seriously thinking of adding Clapton to The Beatles. More likely, he was trying to give the impression that he really didn't care if George left. I'm sure he actually did care, but it he probably thought wouldn't look cool to let it show.

12. 905

905 Senior Member

On the recent Cream documentary, one of my favorite parts is when Clapton compares Jack and Ginger to his young daughters when they argue over little things. I don't know who would be worse for Clapton to be around, John and Paul or Jack and Ginger.

13. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Given the stories that have been told of Clapton being nervous about adding himself to a Beatles recording by simply playing guitar on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", I'd find it hard to believe he would have just joined up with no problem during the "Get Back" sessions.

Given the prevalent attitudes at that point within the Beatles, I don't think much of anybody (including most of the group and Clapton himself) would have been interested in Clapton joining. As mentioned above, McCartney was wary of adding anybody as an official member, even Billy Preston. He was fine with having musicians in guest roles. Ringo during those sessions seemed so opposed to change that he didn't even want to do the planned live concert outside of England. So I don't think he would have signed on to a change in one of the members of the group at that point.

14. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

As prestigious as the gig would be, the Beatles just weren't Clapton's kind of band.

15. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Isn't in the Lewisohn book where Clapton says that Cream "rehearsed, rehearsed, rehearsed" and then went into the studio, whereas the Beatles "recorded, recorded, recorded" till they go it right?

16. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Has Eric Clapton ever commented on this?

17. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident

Yes it is.

Weren't they going to get Phil Collins to replace Ringo during the White Album?:D

18. Dave D

Dave D Done!

It was just an offhand comment by John. Nothing serious.

19. Nope. Not that I've seen. I agree that Clapton would not have fit in with The Beatles. Much as I love them, he was a better guitar player than anybody in the band and the only person who might have musically held their own (IMHO) is McCartney. George was a fine melodic guitarist with very different influences, John was a very raw guitarist (although a fine rhythm guitarist)and Ringo was a terrific drummer for just providing the backbeat.

It would have been a step backward for EC and an odd shotgun marriage.

20. flashdaily

flashdaily Active Member

Eric apparently continued to obsess about Patti for some time to come, and "dedicated" the Derek And The Dominoes hit "Layla" to her, which I don't believe was publicized at the time (1972), but came out years later as those things always do. I don't know, if you're going to carry a torch for another man's wife I guess that's okay, as long as you get over it eventually without making too much of a mess. Personally, I never though Patti Boyd was that hot, but it's always interesting (and kind of fun) to watch a guy go nuts over someone who doesn't do much for you. I wonder if Patti cared anything about Eric? I hope the poor guy got over it somehow..

21. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Well, they did get married so maybe she did.

22. flashdaily

flashdaily Active Member

Since we're talking Eric Clapton here, I'd like to throw this one out: He did an album once called "E.C. Was Here" with rather "interesting" front and back cover art, a front and back view of a babe with a hot bod, but no face. Was there anything to that album, or was that just a gratuitous way of getting a record browser's attention? It definitely got mine.

23. I'm also wondering in part if John made this comment due to having played with Clapton about a month prior (Dec. 11, 1968) at the Rock 'n Roll Circus.

24. Maxbialystock

Maxbialystock Forum Resident

She was. And is...

Muse of the century!

Something
    Layla
    Wonderful Tonight

A gorgeous woman - inside and outside. Which is why she inspired so many beautiful songs...

25. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident

I thought she was the hottest of all the Beatlettes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.