Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. As has come up before in this, and other threads, there is, occasionally, some confusion between the Audio and Video versions of Delicate Sound of Thunder and Pulse. By their very nature Video versions of live albums are generally from a single concert. Indeed even the Knebworth audio is very slightly edited between the Bluray and the CD albeit it is all the same concert.

Having taken audio rips of the Blurays in this Box Set I have titled DSOT (Video) as Live in New York 1988 and Pulse (Video) as Live at Earls Court 1994 to distinguish them from the Audio versions in my collection.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    Matthew Tate, rontoon and JulesRules like this.
  2. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

Looks like the new Delicate Sound of Thunder will be getting a theatrical showing on Oct 15! I bet this will also see an individual release for the holiday season.

[​IMG]

3. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Yeah, this usually leads to DVD/Bluray release! I have been waiting a long time to see this film and so will be a Day 1 purchase for me and a couple of copies as gifts.

4. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Yeah, if there is a drive-in near me I might consider this.

Instant Dharma and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

I need to get Dolby Atmos installed in my ride!

JulesRules likes this.
  6. Busy time:

1. Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets (Bluray/CD) September 18
    2. Roger Waters - Us + Them (Bluray/CD) October 2
    3. Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder (Cinemas (Social Distancing capacity)) October 15

7. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

What are the light bulb guys all about? AMLOR is sort of a mystery to me.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. A variation on a theme from the DSOT album cover, the bed is inspired by the cover of AMLOR.

9. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

Rogers U&T release is poor in comparison too Nick's and DSOT it's audio is bland and dry compared

rontoon likes this.
  10. Actually I would have disagreed with you, until I had heard a dozen or so RoIO's of Nick's band (over the last few months), I was delightfully surprised by what I heard, it was really very enjoyable.

The thing that stands out, for me, on Us + Them is One Of These Days, it has bit more "bite".

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    mando_dan likes this.
  11. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

How many members of Pink Floyd does it take to change a lightbulb?

Who knows but why does it have to be so terribly bright!

12. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

I dunno i prefer Guy's playing on One Of These Days he has such a great bass tone

Rogers U&T audio is souless bland and dry the mix has sucked the life out of the show in comparison too Nick's and DSOT which have a live sound too them

zinan likes this.
  13. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

This was Storm's idea, I think - it was meant to be a symbol for the light show.

I hear you. I found those occasional bright circles of light around Mr Screen annoying at David's 2016 concert. I was trying to see something from far back and then - aaargh, my eyes are blinded!! :yikes:

Bink likes this.
  14. H.Timseel

H.Timseel Forum Resident

It took 2 to do the bass on U&T ...at least with the Saucers they went back to a quicker tempo, which I personally much prefer.

15. stubrookc

stubrookc Well-Known Member

Cinema release has been postponed

16. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Yeah. WTH. They really didn't think it through before making the announcement yesterday, did they.

17. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

No, not at all. That's PFM for ya.

18. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

They can release it as a standalone blu-ray with full extras and I'll forgive them. :D

19. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Some people won't forgive them unless they release a full show.

superstar19 and Norco74 like this.
  20. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

:laughup:

...and will brag about it forever!

21. According to Pinkfloyd.com this is a 90 minute version, unless they have made an error in the details. Note: the only previous version that was 90 minutes was the Laserdisc.

"Cinema distribution company Trafalgar Releasing today announced the release of the restored, re-edited and remixed version of Delicate Sound of Thunder in cinemas around the world for a one-night-only event on Thursday 15th October 2020. Screenings of the 90-minute, 4K feature will take place subject to local venue COVID-19 measures, and tickets will be on sale from Thursday 27th August, with local screening details searchable at www.DelicateSoundOfThunder.com. Some theatres are able to offer a specially-created Dolby Atmos mix, but please note that dates are subject to change based on the status of local cinema re-openings."

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Not surprised. Almost every Floyd related theatrical release has been edited with the exception of Roger's Wall film.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

David's Pompeii & Remember That Night theatrical showings were edited as well

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

Live in Gdańsk doesn't contain the full show on the dvd. Was there any outcry over that? I can't remember.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

At the time yes, but considering Rick got the words wrong to "Breathe"/"Time" on the night - and no one was really expecting Gdansk to come out at all - it didn't attract too much attention really.