RSD 2020 drop list revealed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sis+erRay, Jun 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James spencer

James spencer Forum Resident

Quick question for people who are giving some quick product reviews....Are stores breaking street date or are you receiving review copies or are y9u being 'hooked up' as they say by friends at local record shops?

2. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

There are already indie-store exclusives that come out all year long.

As a member of the media who makes a big deal out of publicizing RSD semiannually, if they adopt your model, I hereby announce my refusal to do a "Record Store Day is this Friday!" every week of the year.

jlf likes this.
  3. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

MikeT, I am right there with you. I requested around 7 titles from my local store, but told the owner there is no way I'm dealing with an outside/inside crowd during this pandemic. I told him when the initial sell is over, if any of my titles are left, then I will get them, if not, there are many other records to buy. RSD is just not that important to me anymore...

4. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I suppose I question exactly how much semi-annual RSDs accomplish for store owners now, 11-12 years from it’s inception. Owners have to base orders around a best guess, deal with shipping mistakes, and are stuck with inventory that bad, damaged or does not sell.

B&M stores need consistent cash flow, now more than ever. Many end up banking on these semi-annual surges though to make or break their year.

As to having to publicize it regularly throughout the year, there are plenty of outlets that do weekly write-ups on new releases. These would be an added dimension to that already existing coverage.

5. panasoffkee

panasoffkee Forum Resident

Happy to see Wild Tchoupitoulas on the list. This is an essential piece of great New Orleans music.

6. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

I'd rather pay an extra $20 for a title to not stand in a line during all of this. Thanks Flippers! haha

7. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

This is what my local, The Last Record Store in Santa Rosa, is doing. Customers will move in one direction only and the merchandise will be laid out in a loop around the store, alphabetically.

RSD Drop # 1 / AUGUST 29, 2020 / APPOINTMENT ONLY / CLOSED FOR WALK INS

Hi friends! We've been working hard to deliver Sonoma County a safe Record Store Day in 2020 and here's how it will work this year: WE WILL NOT BE OPEN FOR REGULAR BUSINESS OR DOING AN EVENT. We will still have many RSD titles available for Drop #1.

Here's how it will work:

APPOINTMENT ONLY.
    Please give us a call at the shop for available times between 8 am and 6 pm. No walk up appointments. No online appointments. Once all the available slots are filled we will not make any additional appointments for that day.

SCHEDULED APPOINTMENTS ARE FOR ONE PERSON ONLY.
    If you bring any extra people to your appointment you will not be allowed in.

NO LINING UP OUTSIDE
    Please show up for your appointment time only. If you arrive early you will be asked to leave and come back at your specified time.

20 MINUTE SHOPPING LIMIT.
    We will be diligently cleaning and disinfecting between appointments so we must have a strict time limit.

ALL LOCAL HEALTH GUIDELINES STRICTLY ENFORCED
    No FULL mask = no records for you!

ALL RECORD STORE DAY GUIDELINES STRICTLY ENFORCED
    One title per person, no holds, etc.

After August 29 leftover titles will be available in our online shop for curbside pickup or shipping.

MonkeyTennis and Paul Gase like this.
  8. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

My store hasn't even received our stuff yet.

9. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

I kinda like that way. No rubbing up against anyone and no jockeying for position. I wish my locals were doing it that way.

katstep likes this.
  10. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I need to find out whether Rough Trade expect you to show up with a list of what you want to hand to them or if they’re giving our lists for you to tick items (this is what HMV did last weekend for their ltd coloured vinyl releases and it worked really well).

11. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

It was mentioned for Rough Trade East that a shop assisant would get the titles for you once you're in the shop (although I assume this would only be whilst it is busy) - so I would guess if you are getting a huge number of titltes, you should write them down before you get there.

Porkpie likes this.
  12. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

My local is doing it as normal, queues and all from stupid o clock, just wash Hands and wear a mask on entry ....was hoping they would do a time slot event ..not good as West Midlands is having covid case increases week on week currently...so will probably go all out online only now

13. followmehome

If those cases aren't leading to hospitalisations, let alone deaths - then I don't see what the issue is. Most likely only amongst certain communities anyway.

bootbox likes this.
  14. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Zia is starting the line up at 7am. Groups of 15 will be allowed in at a time. The albums are arranged alphabetically. One purchase per customer. Masks and 6ft of course. My buddy is a vinyl-er, and his birthday is April 2. So I usually accompany him and help him find the 2-3 releases he would like. Its always been a mad frenzy. So this new system is better virus or not.

15. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

"Certain communities"?

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  16. liverbeat

liverbeat Well-Known Member

Watch out the secret Steve Hoffman police will delete your comment for Covid trolling.....

17. followmehome

Yes - would you like me to be more specific for you? If you were in the UK, you would know exactly what I was referring to as it has been mentioned in the news in relation to towns that have had increased restrictions in recent weeks.

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  18. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Let’s keep this thread on track and just discuss the records being released and plans/expectations/enjoyment of the day itself.

19. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

Was at my local shop to sell some stuff last week, and he had a couple boxes of his RSD orders that had arrived that he let me look through. Only thing he got that I was interested in was the Bowie Soul Tour LP. I had planned to take the day off to go to the nearest Bullmoose, but I gotta work that day. So I guess I'll be taking a break to head over, and see if I can snag one of the two copies he got.

Only other thing I want from the August drop is that Pretenders in Boston, so I'll have to see if I can grab one online. My big day will be in September, when I'll drop a lot of coin. That Dirty Three box has to be expensive, only 400 copies.

20. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I was looking at some titles that I may have to purchase online since I’m not going to wait in line or be able to go until late afternoon anyway and I’m sure they’ll be gone by the time I get there . One such title is Hooker n Heat. On eBay, the asking price is around $50. Unless my local store will have it, I’m going to pass at that price.

21. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

On the fence about this one. Anyone picking this up?
    [​IMG]

22. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

It’s been out in cd for while as the Washington Concerts. Any Bird is worth picking up.

Yayastone likes this.
  23. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Here are the rules that one of our local record shops (Scotti’s in Summit, NJ) has for Saturday:

It's been a long wait but RSD is finally here! We have set in place several protocols so we can have a safe and successful RSD:
    1. Masks and social distancing are REQUIRED while on line and in store. For those in line, please observe six feet of distance between yourself and others.
    2. Our back room will be the designated area for all RSD product: here, there will be a maximum limit of three shoppers at a time and a browsing time limit of 15 minutes per shopper. In the front, main area of our store, we will limit the amount of customers to 10.
    3. To promote a safer shopping experience, we will momentarily halt all business every 45 minutes to clean and disinfect the store. All doors will be open and fans will be running to promote better airflow within the store as well. All staff has been properly trained to comply with proper Covid-19 related hygiene and safety measures.
    4. Once the line is done, we will begin accepting orders for RSD product over the phone. We will also be giving live updates on the line and estimated wait times on our Instagram page.
    5. We will be open from 9 AM-5 PM and the line will start at our back entrance.
    With these measures in place, we expect to have a safe and successful RSD this Saturday. We hope to see you then!

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  24. Vinyl1969

Vinyl1969 Forum Resident

One of the local stores I frequent in Boulder CO is doing a lottery for time slots. I applied and will find out tomorrow if I got a slot and what time. The regular store is open like normal, but all RSD releases are going to be setup in the empty store a few doors down. I think 5 people may be allowed in the RSD store at a time. Should be interesting.

25. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I always go to Scotti's (even when it isn't RSD) - I have for EVERY RSD - either in Morristown, when he had that store, or Summit - which is the only Scotti's left. Unfortunately I will not be lining up this year, regardless of his "rules" you posted. I will take my chances with a phone order when the line ends - and then take a ride over to pick up what I can.

Vinyl1969 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.