Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. timind

timind phorum rezident

sent u a pm

action pact likes this.
  2. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Funny it is marked for the other types, but maybe the JJs weren't quite up to the seemingly a bit higher than usual voltage. Sorry to read about the apparent failure of the other guy's one EL84M, hopefully that was just a fluke ... but you might get some spares out of it.

timind and action pact like this.
  3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

As an aside, looking at the specs printed by the logo, it looks like I could possibly use this amp without a transformer in Japan, where my wife and I are planning to relocate in a few years. The grid over there is 100v and either 50 or 60hz, depending on where in the country you are.

AlmanacZinger and Rick58 like this.
  4. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Thank God the almost dead plant in my room is blocked by the couch when I take system pics!

UltraDNS, Rick58 and SunSon like this.
  5. timind

timind phorum rezident

I have fake plants in my room :wiggle:

Tim 2, UltraDNS, Glmoneydawg and 2 others like this.
  6. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Smart man! I have to say it's rather uncanny my GF took a job in NYC and moved there and suddenly the plant started going south I wish I could put my finger on it. I swear I watered the darn thing!

Rick58 and timind like this.
  7. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

HUH! Just wondering, it seems like your amp is an 'early' version, I found a manual online [​IMG] ...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Screen Shot 2020 08 22 at 5 33 24 PM — Postimages
    Screen Shot 2020 08 22 at 5 32 22 PM — Postimages
    Screen Shot 2020 08 22 at 5 31 58 PM — Postimages
    (huh, the postimages doesn't seem to be working the way it's supposed to, but the links show the images ...)

this is for a newer version from the noted serial number (altho I'm not an expert on Fisher dating of course). This one seems to have the 'expander' accessory connections, and ONLY lists 7189 as the tube type ... SO ... suspicious that over the years they found EL84s and 6BQ5s just didn't last in the amp? Anyway, with the mighty EL84Ms in there (seemingly more a 7189 equivalent) seems you're good to go.

8. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Amp looks great! Did you have any part restored ?

9. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

I've done the fake plant thing(it's genius)...then i graduated to no plants:)

10. action pact

The fellow who sold it to me recapped it before selling it, and I've added a grounded power cable. It's been working like a champ the whole time I've had it - no hum, hiss, or crackle either.

I had a pro tube amp tech look at it, and he commented that the soldering was done very neatly.

It was the best $400 I've ever spent.

11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

12. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

13. Slippers-on

Wow! Great price!

Echoes Myron and Rick58 like this.
  14. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Ha! You got the UB5's. How do you like them with the 9090?

Echoes Myron and Dennis0675 like this.
  15. action pact

No kidding! I think I grabbed it just before the prices for old Fisher tube gear shot up.

The Sovtek EL84M's seem to have more oomph than the JJ's, I don't have to turn the volume knob as far now. More bass weight too.

Rick58, Slippers-on and jonwoody like this.
  16. Slippers-on

I bet those Studio 40's sound excellent with the amp!

Dennis0675 likes this.
  17. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Not mine. A buddy bought them back in April and is thinking about getting a new amp. I brought three over for him to hear. He is currently running a Yamaha s501.

The Sansui sounded really good, the best of the three and better than the McIntosh with those speakers. That fisher tube amp was terrible as I thought it would be. But shockingly, it sounded great with my Paradigm 40’s. I thought there might be a chance with the ELAC’s.

it was time for me to pull everything for cleaning and reorganization. I also got the wood cabinet installed for the McIntosh, a big day of fooling around with equipment.

18. action pact

Yessir, mine is the earliest version of the X-100 with the tube rectifier, gold-anodized faceplate, and the stylized "Stereophonic" rubric.

Someone on AudioKarma was able to discern that it most likely was made in late 1959.

Rick58 likes this.
  19. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I have the Uni-Fi floor standers with a Yamaha S501 and think they pair really well and upstairs have a Marantz SR-4023 and match well with the Uni-Fi bookshelf speakers. I really love the Uni-Fi sound. The speakers just disappear when set up in a room properly.

jonwoody and SirMarc like this.
  20. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

From what be heard those speakers really open up if you can give them more than 100wpc. My buddy that owns the speakers felt the same way and order a new amp before I left. And he’s a cheap, stubborn SOB that would rather pass a kidney stone than spend money in audio equipment.

21. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I would like to get the Yamaha S801 for my main system. More power. I don't listen excessively loud but eventually I will get a bigger amp. Not top of my list but eventually.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  22. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Yeah, I thought the Sansui sounded great with the UB5's. Very synergistic pairing. Didn't I try to talk you into getting them a while back while they were on sale?

23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

It’s a lot of drivers to power, I think you would really like moving up the Yamaha line. You can certainly keep it clean while playing at a higher volume but the Improvement is at all volumes.

Clonesteak and RDriftwood like this.
  24. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

In the spirit of the recent vintage gear post.... I set this bedroom system up yesterday, the stands are temporarily there until I have the time to make an improvement. Mostly for TV and streaming with the Topping D50. Fisher X101B and AR4x.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Not mine, just helping a friend out. I’d say they are far too similar in sound to my paradigms for me to get a pair of my own.

RDriftwood likes this.