USPS Tracking - what are your current experiences?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by George P, Dec 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

There is nothing "random" about any of this, and if you have a television or internet access to actual 'news', you should be aware of that, no matter how ignorant too many of you claim to be about the connection between your own personal shipping issues, and the people you selected to make your regulations for you. They are trying to keep their own jobs in the face of their own justifiable unpopularity, and apparently being supportive of their mechanizations is what is leading people here to continue to post their tracking reports without paying any mind to how this situation got this bad in the first place.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry so much about how your purchase is stuck at a routing center, as much as how other things the Post Office is going to deliver securely and on time, and who is working hard to make sure those glitches happen. Those being primarily, the choices you check on a simple piece of paper, that you may be too locked-down to make in public come November.

And remember, the same people who are behind that, are the people who already painted the USPS into a corner with their regulations, that is causing your orders to languish in Distribution Centers. So if all you are going to do about it, is post copies of tracking information that the rest of us don't care about, you are just wasting time that could and should be spent trying to get control of your leaders.

recstar24, Alan G, riverrat and 2 others like this.
  2. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I meant random as to how with two packages coming from equal distances using the same shipping method, yet one arrives in 5 days, and the other is still en-route 30 days later. If the end result for how they're messing things up was that everything was late, sure. But the fact that results seem to vary, greatly, is what makes the process so random.

3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

It all has to to with, one suspects, precisely when one package comes to a pair of hands at the end of a conveyor belt.

Let's say, you have two parcels in a distrib center, coming down the line, maybe two from the same place, headed to the same place. But, some time during its' trip on the conveyor system, somebody tossed a couple other pieces of mail into the same stream of parcels, products, envelopes, big, thick envelopes, little dinky envelopes, you name it. Either way, these two parcels first in question, may not come to the same pair of hands at the same precise moment. And at that point, the hands picking up the next piece, looks at what's coming towards him, and he has to make a decision: do I grab the next thing I see, or do I grab for the two parcels that look exactly alike? And, if I have limited room on this plane or that truck, and I know, Certified, Priority and other specifically-marked packages have to fill that truck or plane first, if there is limited room on board at that exact moment. So, maybe one of your parcels got snatched and put on the truck...and the other, got passed by because other mail had literal 'priority' over the second one. The real live "luck of the draw" situation.

So, one package goes on to the next destination, and the nearest distrib center that is going to feed your area...and the other one waits for the next bus, train, kayak, plane or whatever, once it has space for that lower-priority parcel. This may just happen at the last minute of the workday, so one package goes out...one stays and waits.

And, as we all know, distribution centers don't necessarily mean a straight line to your house...it means the same thing as why United hops to Detroit while American hops to Charlotte...and neither is a direct line to your porch in Indianapolis.

So yes, for the "second-class citizens" that are the Media Mail packages in the world, sure, it seems random. But there is a method to the madness, and naturally, to a hand outstretched on his front porch every day as the mailman walks past, it does feel "random". Perhaps, the word should really be, "serendipitous".

But again, if you want this situation to get any better...forget about posting your own tracking information, that's as useless to everybody else as counting the change in your pocket for all of us to see. Instead, reflect on who you put into a decisionmaking position on any given November, and why they lied to you to get that job. Because these are the people who will go after every public benefit your family has ever worked hard to see established in this country...just so they can do the bidding of a company willing to donate their profits to his next campaign, to get the rules relaxed in their favor.. Do your homework, and see who did what to erode the securities of every safeguard you saw put into place for the public benefit over the decades...and, learn how these people systematically charged their rhetoric in such a way as to eventually get the public to make those decisions against their own best interests.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    riverrat and zongo like this.
  4. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Bad publicity is the intended consequence. Last night local Philly TV news item revealed two hotspot states in danger of vote-by-mail screwups- Pennsylvania & Washington. USPS being held hostage,striking feat into the hearts ofvoters that should not be in public places,especially since a safe way of voting should be a no-brainer.

5. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Over 2 weeks on regular 3 day priority mail Colorado to L.A.. It is getting worse.

6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

and gas is being thrown on the fire..............

7. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

My amazon order was just delivered to Sugar Land, TX today.

...I live in Eugene, OR.

It is a scarce SACD and is from a third party seller. I have reached out to find out what the mix up is. This has never happened to me before.

8. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear.

It was delivered? Or was it received at a distribution center in Texas? If it is truly delivered to the wrong address then you either have to ask the sender to investigate or you need to go to the Post Office and complain. they will probably send you back to the sender to start an investigation on that end.

I'm so sorry that you're going through this you deserve to get what you ordered and in a timely manner.

9. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear.

I hate to say this but I used to hate FedEx and UPS with a passion but several packages sent by FedEx have gotten here in a timely manner when USPS is iffy at best.

10. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Thankfully the third party replied to my inquiry. They hope they sent me the wrong tracking number...and I do too.

11. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

GentleSenator likes this.
  12. jimac51

Meanwhile,around 5,000 live chicks came through Maine's USPS but,while in the system,died due to delivery delays. The irony here is that a reason for so many postal problems that DeJoy has set to solve by his stupid actions(overtime,destruction of sorting machines,etc.), can be blamed by a 2005 bill that forced USPS to fund retirement benefits that included yet-unborn postal workers,co-authored by Sen. Susan Collins,of Maine. Paying for retirement benefits in advance for the unborn-now there is a true pro-life idea.Now you know the rest of the story.

Alan G likes this.
  13. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

Finally got my package from Brazil from May.

14. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

It's definitely getting worse. Over 2 weeks on 3 pieces of media mail coming my way. Don't even see that it's arrived in Jersey City yet, which is when the fun really begins. Maybe it's been waiting a week to be scanned in, who knows.

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Since the USPS ended their slowdown, my experience is everything is back to normal. Items are getting scanned in daily, not weekly, and are getting delivered as expected.

16. rjh_54

rjh_54 Well-Known Member

Just shipped out two packages today via FCM, expected for delivery on Monday. Here's hoping everything goes smoothly!

17. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Perhaps they thought it was an amp? :D

That was a horrible joke. Forgive me. :sweating:

18. jimac51

It will take more than a few examples of observational evidence to prove anything is better. Nothing is currently scheduled to reverse damages. Sorting machines left out to rust. Putting a little extra disgruntle in every USPS employee's paycheck will carry on for a while. Little respect for the boss when there is proof he's against your best efforts. Currently 14 states are involved with the early planning of a lawsuit against DeJoyboy. Remember,too,that the stifling conditions placed this summer are only being held back till after the election. Bringing these slowups in time for Christmas is just insane. If Trump loses,DeJoyboy still has almost two months to continue the destruction. An adolescent with a crowbar can cause a lot of damage in a few weeks.

905 and bmh5879 like this.
  19. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

Been sitting in Jacksonville, FL for a week -- no movement.

Tracking details
    USPS tracking #9549015467510230601646
    • Aug 28, 2020
    • 12:00am
    • In Transit, Arriving Late
    • Aug 24, 2020
    • 9:15am
    • Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
    • JACKSONVILLE FL NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    • Aug 22, 2020
    • 7:29am
    • Departed USPS Regional Facility
    • MEMPHIS TN NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    • Aug 22, 2020
    • 5:24am
    • Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
    • MEMPHIS TN NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    • Aug 17, 2020
    • 6:01pm
    • Departed Post Office
    • GERMANTOWN, TN 38138
    • Aug 17, 2020
    • 8:32am
    • USPS in possession of item
    • GERMANTOWN, TN 38138
    • Aug 17, 2020
    • 7:48am

20. rjh_54

rjh_54 Well-Known Member

An item I sold on Discogs was meant to be delivered today. I checked the tracking and this is the notice I saw:

We attempted to deliver your package at 3:30 pm on August 31, 2020 in [CITY, STATE, ZIP], but could not access the delivery location. We will redeliver on the next business day.

Anyone ever have this happen before?

905 likes this.
  21. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

This just happened to me. There was a crane blocking the driveway in front of my apartment building, so USPS didn’t deliver any packages that day. It came the next day.

22. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Yes, but that is because we have a gate (to stop deer from eating my wife’s plants) but in the last year the current mail carrier just brings it down.

23. rjh_54

rjh_54 Well-Known Member

It's been over a week since "attempted" delivery and nothing has changed on the tracking. I messaged the buyer asking if they received anything yet and they have not. I wonder what the hold up is? I filed a claim on the USPS site so hopefully this gets resolved quicker.

24. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

I have 2 items shipped to me on 8/12 and 8/13 and both have vanished into the thin air. Also have something from World Of Books shipped on 7/17 and I have no idea if I’ll ever see that one.

I have shipped and had stuff shipped to keep after those dates with no issue.

25. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

ordered Sunday night
    delivered Tuesday - 1 day ahead of schedule

September 8, 2020, 11:58 am
    Delivered, In/At Mailbox
    BELLINGHAM, WA 98229
    Your item was delivered in or at the mailbox at 11:58 am on September 8, 2020 in BELLINGHAM, WA 98229.
    September 8, 2020, 7:39 am
    Out for Delivery
    BELLINGHAM, WA 98229
    September 8, 2020, 7:28 am
    Arrived at Post Office
    BELLINGHAM, WA 98226
    September 8, 2020, 6:13 am
    Accepted at USPS Destination Facility
    BELLINGHAM, WA 98226
    September 8, 2020, 3:39 am
    Departed Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item
    KENT, WA 98032