Cheers

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

Lilith was my favorite character over the run of the series.

2. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

Yup. Big turnoff for me, too.

3. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

She was one of my favorites too, and a highlight of the later run of the series. I never understood why they handled her departure in season 11 the way they did. They had her leave Frasier early in the season, but then she returned to him later in the season and they reconciled. Then, when the Frasier series started, they said they broke up again.

4. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I hated how he took her back so quickly after she returned from her affair. I guess they didn't want to end the series with them still broken up, which is why it happened in the storyline between the end of Cheers and the beginning of Frasier, but it was just wholly unsatisfying. Trying to remember, but did we see much of Lilith on Cheers after they got back together? I don't think she was even in the finale.

5. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

I think she announced, before the last season, she was leaving because she wanted to spend more time dancing, so they had to come up with a reason to have her leave the show

6. jason88cubs

In fact Woody missed 3 episodes and had a limited role the first part of teh season due to filming a movie

7. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Nope. The two episodes where she returned and reconciled with Frasier were her last on Cheers.

8. George Co-Stanza

I sorta remember that now. I have to wonder if she would have stayed on as a regular had she known that it would be the last season. Didn't Danson not decide until S11 was already in progress that it would be the last?

Gotcha, that sounds right.

I agree with the earlier posts that suggest that some of the cast kind of phoned it in the last season (there were scenes where Danson would be reading something behind the bar and literally looked bored out of his mind), but there were still some good ones in that season. The episode where Mr Gaines thought Woody was blackmailing him was hilarious, and the gang finally getting over on Gary (thanks to Harry the Hat) was a really satisfying ending to the long-standing bar wars.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. jason88cubs

Yea Danson decided during filming of season 11 he was gonna end it, then NBC offered Woody Harrelson the lead role but he declined.NBC announced in December of 92 that this was the last season of Cheers (ending in 93) Also they were going to do a spin off of Norm and Cliff but that fell through. Frasier wasn't even gonna happen originally, Kelsey Grammar was gonna have his own show with a whole different character, but I think the president of NBC turned that down so they ended up with the spin off

Grammer did not originally want to continue playing Frasier Crane, and Angell, Casey, and Lee did not want the new show to be compared to Cheers, which they had worked on before Wings. The three proposed that the actor play a wealthy, Malcolm Forbes-like paraplegic publisher who operated his business from his apartment. The main show featured a "street-smart" Hispanic live-in nurse who would clash with the main character.[12] While Grammer liked the concept, Paramount Television disliked it, and suggested that the best route would be to spin off the Frasier Crane character.[12] Grammer ultimately agreed to star in a Cheers spin-off, but the producers set the new show as far from Boston as possible to prevent NBC from demanding that other characters from the old show make guest appearances on the new show during its first season. After first choosing Denver, Angell, Casey, and Lee ultimately chose Seattle as the setting.[13]

Here’s Cheers writer/producer Ken Levine on the topic: “Yes. NBC wanted to spin-off Norm & Cliff. They must have approached us five times about writing it. We always passed. One AfterMASH a career is enough. There was also some discussion of spinning-off Carla but that went nowhere

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  10. jason88cubs

I remember Roger Rees saying , when he came back in season 11, the cast look so disinterested and no one knew their lines

Steve Litos and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  11. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

Great episode! The end is hilarious with Frasier in the bar:

Would a good boy do this?...... I am running with scissors!
    [​IMG]

12. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

I like Cheers "Frasier" more than the Frasier we saw on "Frasier".

13. George Co-Stanza

Not surprised that NBC wanted to keep the Cheers cash register ringing, but Norm, Cliff or Carla as a main character on any new show would not have worked. Great supporting characters when part of a big ensemble, but not capable of carrying a show on their own.

I thought the way the writers handled the Frasier show was great. It had a completely different look and feel from Cheers, and even when characters from the original were eventually brought in here and there for guest appearances, it rarely had the feel like they were doing it just for cheap pops.

Me too. I liked the Frasier show a lot, but he was always funnier on Cheers than he was on his own show. Not that he didn't do a good job on his own show, but David Hyde Pierce stole the show more often than not. Niles kind of had the "Frasier on Cheers" role, as a main supporting character who was hysterical, rather than being the guy the show had to center around. Honestly, many of the show's funniest moments where when Frasier and Niles were dialoguing.

Steve Litos likes this.
  14. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

He felt more like one of the guys on Cheers despite being the intellectual one. He has that at differing points on Frasier but its few and far between. Maybe I just prefer Frasier when he isn't being as pompous as he is during the bulk of the Frasier series.

15. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

to me the father on frasier stole almost every scene he was in

16. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

That is incorrect. He was done with Frasier and nothing was in the works until after Cheers was over. What was in the works after was Kelsey playing the role of a reclusive eccentric billionaire paralyzed from the waist down, staying in bed, and having characters revolve around him. The studios thought it was foolish to not build onto the Frasier Crane foundation that was laid over many years in Cheers and pressured Kelsey and the producers to reconsider.

17. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Yep, and that makes sense of why they broke Lilith and Frasier up when they only had her for six episodes in the last season, and why they reconciled in her last episode.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

[​IMG]
    "Eevnin' evrbody !"

19. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

Norm!

905 and footprintsinthesand like this.
  20. jason88cubs

How's the world treatin ya Mr Peterson

905 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  21. Timeless Classics

The episodes with Andy (Derek McGrath) were hilarious. The one with Sam scrambling to find Diane a date and the ex-con Andy is still one of the greatest episodes for me of all time.

[​IMG]

905, jason88cubs and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  22. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

I love the episode where Andy pretends to be the owner of Cheers, with Nancy Cartwright of The Simpsons as his girlfriend.

jason88cubs likes this.
  23. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Like a baby treats a diaper.

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Woody Harrelson the best thing about that show and I became a fan ever since...

25. Timeless Classics

The gang teaches Woody about economics by playing monopoly... Cliff is the thimble - hilarious

Matthew Tate likes this.