USPS Media Mail

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by The_Shocker, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

I paid for a service and that service obligation isn't being met. I have my own job to do.

showtaper likes this.
  2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Again, start thinking like a citizen instead of a consumer. If you can't get your job done because the system needs help, you should probably take your tie off and roll up your sleeves.

3. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear.

I wish that we could treat postal workers like we do veterans. And I mean that in a positive way. They have a thankless job and we depend on them so much we should treat them like they deserve to be treated with respect and care.

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Then they wouldn't be treated like veterans, would they ? This country treats vets like crap.

ScramMan2 and Gregalor like this.
  5. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear.

I thought they were reforming the VA. I heard we fired 9000 unproductive employees out of the VA. I heard wait times are now more reasonable instead of people dying before they saw a doctor. Was that all just a big lie?

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  6. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

These protests are not meant to intimidate customers,rather just the opposite by encouraging and assuring that the USPS can be trusted today and tomorrow. I would expect no problems doing business tomorrow. Damage by removing equipment,screwing around worker's hours,etc. have already happened and PM DeJoy says what is done is done. He will not right the wrong and expects to continue changes after the election,just in time for Christmas. Fruitcakes and fruit baskets,beware! If there is a change in leadership in the White House,he still will have almost 3 months till 1/20/21 to wreck havoc before his hopeful resignation happens.

cwitt1980 and 905 like this.
  7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I just hope he spends it packing for an inevitable move to Irkutsk.

8. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

I was at the local PO making a drop at 8:30 this morning. Long before the ralliers and/or protesters got there. It was nice and quiet, and no long lines of mask wearing customers.

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

A taxpayer bailout to pay for pensions that no mortals in the real world economy get?

I guarantee you that doesn't sit right with a lot of people.

10. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

11. visolo

visolo Well-Known Member

I sell on ebay, and I give the buyer the option of Media Mail, or First Class. All my buyers choose Media Mail because it's cheaper. So if it takes long and they complain, I will tell them that's the shipping option they chose.

12. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

There is a temporary rate increase going on for the holidays by the USPS. Media Mail is not going to be increased but here is how MM is routed through the USPS.

Media Mail has always been the last mail put on the truck and I am surprised that no one has brought this up yet.

The way it works is this: Media Mail gets routed to the (proverbial) back of the warehouse. If there is room on the truck after loading ALL of the First Class and Priority mail, then they put on the Media Mail. If the truck is full every day, then the Media Mail never gets put on the truck. It just sits in the back of the warehouse for weeks or even months until the day comes when there is room for it. Best case scenario is that if they get too much of it they may book another truck to clear it out.

Then the Media Mail goes to the next distribution point and the cycle repeats. During peak periods that Media Mail may sit for the entire period. If all of you switch to shipping with Media Mail during the holidays then you can expect a very high late delivery metric; please don’t go complaining about it on the forum.

Best explanation I have seen on-line. Quit bitching.

13. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

is that factual though, or pure speculation? i believe there is no "priority" placed on MM packages, but not that they just get left behind endlessly. aside from the recent issues at the postal service, i've never encountered this sort of thing. even during peak times.

chazz101s likes this.
  14. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Facts. I've never seen it said that way before. Sometimes my Media Mail sits at 97219 for a couple of days before being processed. Now I understand why.

15. visolo

visolo Well-Known Member

Media Mail is the cheapest available for the items I sell. Everything else is a rip off.

16. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

The (Federal) Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation specializes in pension bailouts.

17. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

$3.33 media one album in thick cardboard. Works great. Sometimes they get in priority bins. I've had 15 pounds of vinyl go 3/4 across the USA in 7 days media.

18. visolo

visolo Well-Known Member

Even during the Pandemic?

19. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

I bought an lp from an eBay seller in WI on Dec 11. Seller promptly shipped it and it made it as far as Madison, WI where it was last scanned on 15 Dec. No updates since. Original expected delivery date 16 Dec. I don't mind that it is late, I expected slow delivery. What I mind is not having any status update for 10 days?

I was part of the team that created the small parcel and bundle sorter, and I know there is no reason for such delays.

20. chazz101s

chazz101s Forum Resident

Ditto!

It is now my belief that the abysmal performance of the USPS this Christmas is purposeful . . . a sabotage-like plot by DeJoy to show us all what the USPS could become. . . .

Anyway, here is my tracking history for an LP bought on eBay, December 10:

Tracking History
    December 24, 2020
    In Transit, Arriving Late
    Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility.

December 23, 2020, 8:30 pm
    Departed USPS Regional Facility
    MEMPHIS TN NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

December 23, 2020, 6:06 pm
    Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
    MEMPHIS TN NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

December 16, 2020, 10:17 pm
    Departed USPS Regional Facility
    DES MOINES IA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

December 16, 2020, 8:08 pm
    Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
    DES MOINES IA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

December 11, 2020, 1:50 pm
    USPS in possession of item
    KANSAS CITY, MO 64114

December 11, 2020, 7:38 am
    Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
    KANSAS CITY, MO 64113

zongo likes this.
  21. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

It’s no secret that DeJoy sabotaged the USPS, but that’s not why he did it.

zongo likes this.
  22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Or do what a normal private-sector business does when it can't meet obligations: Declare bankruptcy, terminate existing contracts--including unfunded pensions--and clean house.

23. Quakerism

Quakerism Lean into what frightens you.

If the postal service was a “normal” private sector business it would have never found itself in financial difficulty because the congressional funding mandate to pre-fund retiree health benefits would never have existed.

Name a private company that is required by law to pre-fund retirement benefits for three quarters of a century. Fact is, the postal service is not operating a business that is going bankrupt. It is being mismanaged for political gain.

riverrat, Galley, showtaper and 4 others like this.
  24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

No private sector business would offer the type of guaranteed retirement benefits that the post office offers.

giantleech likes this.
  25. Quakerism

Quakerism Lean into what frightens you.

I agree, and it’s a real shame. Not that the postal service retirement benefits are that generous. It’s that the private sector usually pays their employees survival wages while they are healthy enough to work and then terminates them when they are used up.

In short, most private sector businesses exploit their employees and only pay out huge bonuses and golden retirement benefits to a select few in the circle of elite at the top.

It is fiction that a majority of private sector workers could save enough money through investments for a decent retirement. Health care costs alone will bankrupt them in short order. So they keep on working, they keep on being exploited until finally they settle for a meager social security/Medicare retirement.

If anyone is jealous of Postal Service employees, my advice is to take the test and get hired.

riverrat, zongo, zephyr25 and 2 others like this.