Guitar trio al di meola/ john mclaughlin/ paco de lucia:Saturday night in San Francisco planned 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zappaien, Aug 24, 2020.

1. zappaien

zappaien Forum Resident Thread Starter

Omfg !

« We are looking for fan photos of the Guitar Trio for the brand new release of “Saturday Night in San Francisco” with all new tracks in 2021! If your picture is selected, you will get a credit on the album! Please send pictures to [email protected] »

« There were 2 shows at the Warfield Theater in San Francisco. Friday and Saturday, only Friday got released. The other tapes have been in Al’s tape room for the last 40 years until now! »

Well, that s a great news !!!!

source : al di meola Facebook page

DTK, Greenalishi, dom91932 and 7 others like this.
  2. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

About a year ago, I read an interview with Al where he mentioned that there was more material than just what we got on the original album.

I’m sure I looked/sounded pretty stupid talking back to the magazine: “Well release it then!!”

So yeah... I’m very happy to hear about this.

3. zappaien

zappaien Forum Resident Thread Starter

I really hope that thE show Is complete, maybe 2 cd if so .

4. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

That's an auto-buy.

dom91932, mr.dave and zappaien like this.
  5. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Any news on this release? Al di Meola hinted at a release in April....

6. Dr. Nick

Dr. Nick Tufnel Is God

Looking forward to this .

7. JakeKlas

There was an interview I read just a couple of weeks ago (can’t remember where, though) where Al said the target is September.

As stated earlier, this will be the other night that was taped which was Saturday. Al said the songs were different (wasn’t clear if that was all the songs or just some), so it won’t just be a repeat of the Friday release.

Didn’t say if it will be a deluxe set with both nights, or just a single release with the Saturday show. But it’s still in the works.

Ah... here’s what I texted my uncle, but I didn’t note the source. (Likely some guitar magazine.)

“Will that be a 40th anniversary version of Friday Night in San Francisco?”

"No, not really. It’s going to be a show from the same venue… but the next night. Saturday Night in San Francisco. For 40 years, I’ve had the other night that no-one knew about except for the people that went to the show. In fact, even John didn’t remember we played a second night. [laughs] "But I have the tapes, and I had them professionally baked to have them restored. And it turns out they’re phenomenal. And we played all different tunes. On the first record I had a song called Mediterranean Sundance. This night there’s a song called Splendido Sundance. And there’s three unaccompanied solo pieces. So you’re not getting the same record twice. So it's a pretty incredible thing. I'm looking forward to people hearing it.

TheRealMcCoy, VH3FAN, DTK and 7 others like this.
  8. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

My understanding is that Impex Records are going to release this on vinyl.

9. Yovra

If they keep the spirit of the "Friday Night"-release they should (at least) bring out 4 cd-versions and 4 vinyl masterings.
    BUT it's a good thing they seem to be working with original tapes and aim form a HQ vinyl release! This could be very good!

Jellis77 likes this.
  10. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

Exciting news. Also that Impex is doing it! Looking very mch forward to it. I think I know every single note played on the original album...

THX!

Jellis77 and Yovra like this.
  11. Yovra

I can whistle and hum complete solo's from FNISF! :laugh:

Wounded Land, Jellis77 and mr.dave like this.
  12. Yovra

Mr. Di Meola mentions 2022 now.....

13. JakeKlas

Dang! Glad it’s still coming, but disappointed that it won’t be coming this year.

Yovra likes this.
  14. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I'd just like to get a standard 2 CD set of the full show with whatever fixes they need to make but I'm afraid it's going to be a heavily edited affair especially for vinyl. The record company wanted it to be an SACD, and vinyl only release but Al and John said no way so now it's pushed back to 2022. Al said there will be some chopped up edition on 45 lp for fans that want to spend money on that version. Why? Al said the editing process was a nightmare.

15. Yovra

If it's the Saturday concert they could even add the pro-shot video that's been around for ages (and in mediocre quality on Youtube). I'm curious about what they mean by ''editing''; erase the bad chords/notes? I'd rather have the ''raw deal'' with great sound than a polished performance!

limoges and Rycherocker634 like this.
  16. StarThrower62

It's not about polishing. It's edited because most likely it won't fit on a single CD or 2 LP. If you watch the video of the full show some of those pieces are 15 minutes or longer but on the original album the tunes are cut back to 8-10 minutes. If I could remember which interview it was I would post it because Al explained the whole thing.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    Yovra likes this.
  17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Why wouldn't they want an SACD release? There's already an SACD of the original album which is great.

Rycherocker634 and jacek2 like this.
  18. StarThrower62

They're not re-issuing the old album. But it's the record company that wanted an SACD of this new release. Di Meola and McLaughlin want a standard CD at the least.

19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I understand that it's a new release. My thoughts were the three artists didn't seem to have an issue with an SACD release of the original album. A CD release of the new album would be an obvious one. Along with that vinyl and an SACD would also be good sellers to the audiophile crowd.

There were three versions of the original album on SACD.

Al Di Meola / John McLaughlin / Paco De Lucia – Friday Night In San Francisco (1999, SACD)
    John McLaughlin / Al DiMeola / Paco DeLucía – Friday Night In San Francisco (1999, SACD)
    John McLaughlin / Al Di Meola / Paco De Lucia – Friday Night In San Francisco (2016, SACD)

20. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Like musicians, photographers deserve to be paid!

Joker to the thief likes this.
  21. Yovra

Release moved to april 2022....

22. JakeKlas

A shame. But at least it’s still coming.

Yovra likes this.
  23. Yovra

A bit of a sneak preview (hadn't heard it before...)

klaatuhf, kohoutek and johnny q like this.
  24. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

That’s a really sly way to get album artwork for free. Sad that they are going this route.

25. Yovra

As long as this release is appearing in the stores; it's okay with me!:)