Flux hi fi electronic stylus cleaner

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by plastico, Aug 24, 2020.

1. plastico

plastico Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I just got this cleaner after much humming and hoeing and of course the cost! I have been cleaning my carts for years with the Onzow gel, Magic Erasure, AT607 fluid - Blue Tack; I DO NOT want to get into that!
    Anyway, I had to use it without the platter in place because of the height. It brought my stylus back to new condition. How did I get along without this marvelous little gadget?
    Cheers, Doug

GyroSE, DVinylFan and Andy Saunders like this.
  2. J.D.80

J.D.80 Forum Resident

I recently purchased one as well and it certainly does a remarkable cleaning job. The stylus turns clear after a cleaning with it. Looks like new.

3. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Very close to trying one of these.

Andy Saunders likes this.
  4. plastico

plastico Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's what impressed me as well!
    Cheers, Doug

5. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

I've had one for about 18 months and I think it is wonderful.

I'm sure it will prolong the life of my stylus, and of course records.

The cost seems initially high, but as a replacement stylus for my cart is £370 the US cleaner should soon pay for itself.

Combined with a decent RCM a very solid investment in the hobby, highly recommended.

Andy Saunders and LakeMountain like this.
  6. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

It does a great cleaning job. I use it with the a drop of cleaning fluid. I am unsure though if frequent use could affect the stylus glue?

Gasman1003 likes this.
  7. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

They said hi frequency could cause problems but allegedly the low frequency doesn't. I'd like to know for sure tho. I don't think Fremer was concerned but I'm going to read his review again.

Ed Casey likes this.
  8. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

[​IMG]

Really interesting topic and i'm close to pulling the trigger on this Flux ...my regime currently is to use a carbon record brush before every side and a dustbuster on the stylus every couple of LPs ...i have also this year used an Knosti Disco Anti-Stat to clean all my records (approx 300) and replaced their inner sleeves with Nagaoka No102 sleeves and based on the difference this has made i think i should bite the bullet and buy a Flux ......my cartridge is Ortofon Quintet Black S ... that luckily came with my TT

My issues are i use an Atmo Sfera TT which doesn't have a platter ...but i think putting the flux on something that raises its height next to the TT should work photo attached

9. ogdens_sliced

ogdens_sliced Walnut Plug

I borrowed one of these from a friend to clean my cartridge as I had some gunk on the cantilever that other options refused to remove.
    Was suitably impressed, both cantilever and stylus looked very shiny after processing.
    :righton:

plastico, bajaed and Gasman1003 like this.
  10. Mr.Sign

Mr.Sign Forum Resident

I am using the flux for about 2 years ( with a drop of the flux cleaner ) and it works remarkably like you said. I tried a lot but there is no altrenative to that device.

Gasman1003 and plastico like this.
  11. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Owner here also, does a great job is a tad expensive- however ones stylus is even more so!

Would not be without it.:)

Do folk use it any longer than the 15 seconds recommended in the instruction manual?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    Gasman1003 likes this.
  12. Mr.Sign

Mr.Sign Forum Resident

Yes, most of the times just to make sure, without knowing if it makes any difference.

13. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

I do the 15 seconds, if the stylus doesn’t look pristine, which is rare, I give it a little longer.

14. LakeMountain

Nice TT the Atmo Sfera! A design beyond the Rega RP10:righton:.

Can’t you put the Flux on an (old) record? The Flux does have multiple rubber feet to avoid sliding and damage.

Swann36 likes this.
  15. Swann36

Thanks to your message i've pulled the trigger on the Flux ...if i can't balance it on the nub of the AS i'll go with a badly scratched charity shop Record (i knew it was like that and hoped i could revive it ...ooops) as the platter ...

LakeMountain likes this.
  16. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I wondered what the Flux cost when I read this thread. I was pleasantly surprised when I learned that it is €145 or thereabouts from the manufacturer in Germany. I spent more than that on an Ortofon Digital Stylus Force Gauge about 8 years ago so I reckon the price for the Flux is not 'out of reach'. It seems to be very effective. Long story short, I had a problem with my Lyra Kleos stylus earlier this year and if I had had the Flux then, I think the problem would have been easily resolved without any of the travails I had to work through and the additional expense I had to incur. I think I will check it out too. If it prolongs stylus life, then that is a major point in its favour.

17. Swann36

Currently £115 on Amazon UK is the best price i've seen

Gasman1003 likes this.
  18. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

When I originally posted on October 4th on this thread, it slipped my mind that I had an Audio Technica AT637 Electronic Stylus Cleaner here. I used to use it but can't really remember precisely when I stopped using it. Anyway, I took it out of its box and it is working fine. I didn't use it to clean my stylus though. What do you guys thinks of this stylus cleaner? Is it in any way comparable to the Flux? I bought the AT637 a long number of years ago and back then it was highly regarded. But as we all know, things move on and better methods are found to do the same task. I'd be interested to know what people think.

Grootna likes this.
  19. Swann36

Well Flux arrived and used a few times ...its doing its job ..i've no experience of other "ultra sonic or sonic" cleaners ....I'm using it prior to each session and in combination with VP Dustbuster which i use after every LP ..plus the records are cleaned with an anti static brush prior to playing each side ....my records have never sounded better :D

20. LakeMountain

I don’t know the AT637, but have yet to encounter a product by AT that wasn’t good and well thought out. Very likely safe to use!

21. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I think the AT uses a high frequency vibration which some suspect could cause damage w long term use.
    The Flux uses low frequency which they say is safer.

22. Swann36

Thats comforting to know

23. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I had similar thoughts myself!

24. LakeMountain

What is this statement based on? If you look at ultrasonic record cleaning the consensus is that higher frequencies are better, but equipment that can generate above 40kHz is more costly. For record cleaning there is no evidence of any damage, although people are concerned about it.

25. DVinylFan

DVinylFan Well-Known Member

An essential for any serious vinyl based system is an electronic stylus cleaner. It’s not hypersonic because you can hear it. Estimates are at 10khz but regardless, use one of these along with a carefully employed carbon fibre ‘fluff brush‘ and you will have a high level of confidence that your stylus is playing records clean. I have a period Goldring item but I previously used an Audio Technica electronic cleaner with similarly stunning results. Safe for cantilevers, safe for stylus glue if used dry. Abandon your stylus cleaning superstitions and invest in this solution, finally, now.

Gasman1003 and bajaed like this.