Cheers

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jul 11, 2018.

1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. MikaelaArsenault

3. MikaelaArsenault

4. MikaelaArsenault

And last but not least...

5. MikaelaArsenault

6. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

I know a lot people said Lilith or Frasier was there favorite character, but for me it was Diane.

Favorite Diane moments:
    I love when Sam/Diane are telling each other what they don't like about each other (though the other thinks they do like), and Sam tells Diane that though she thinks he loves her yellow nighty, he tells her she looks like a big banana.

When Diane moves in with Frasier and she has a psychomatic allergic reaction living with him - she talks in the "voice". Diane asks why doesn't he make fun of her voice and Sam responds in her funny voice "I like to think I'm beneath that, Diane."

Diane makes fun of Sam for dating dumb woman in the episode when he is hitting on Brandee with "two E's"

When Sam proposes multiple times and Diane says the one line... "Well that wasn't very sincere..."

The football pool when Diane picks her teams based on team colors and drives Sam nuts

905, j_rocker, Spitfire and 2 others like this.
  7. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I get that. Frasier's pomposity was emphasized even more on his own show when he was going at with Niles, but on Cheers, it was meant to be more funny than anything. He was like the arrogant smart guy who liked being one of the guys, which made him more down to earth, even when he was getting on high horse at times.

Yep, Marty Crane was great!

The quality was dropping, but there was still plenty of great episodes those last few seasons. I think Woody's wedding holds up as one of the best five episodes in the show's entire history.

8. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

sad he passed recently i heard he and kelsey were very close

9. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

I guess I just prefer the way he comes off on Cheers than Fraiser not that I hate him on Frasier.
    With sitcoms, they usually get 5-6 real quality years before things start to decline in the quality department.

10. Timeless Classics

Frasier pulling out his inner Sideshow Bob on Diane, lol

11. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

John Mahoney's acting was beyond superb ; it was *natural*. Every scene he was in, especially sincere dramatic ones, were magical.

This example starts at 0:57.

Show me an actor on a sitcom who can act this sincere and natural with those rhythms today! The answer is none. That's not the style, anymore. It's hyped up snappy quick pace nonsense. I prefer this and always will. Mahoney's acting constantly wows me.

12. George Co-Stanza

That scene contains what I often call the best one-liner in sitcom history..."Gee, I'll try." Such a simple line, but the context and Grammar's delivery make it legendary. And the crowd's load roar just emphasizes how great it was.

13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

14. MikaelaArsenault

Some people on here are already mentioning John Mahoney and Frasier, and it’s okay to detour over to that show.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

Before Frasier, John Mahoney made a strong impression on me via key supporting roles in couple of late-1980s films:
    • Say Anything - father of Diane Court (Ione Skye)
    • Moonstruck - Perry the college professor who repeatedly dates young students from his class before getting dumped after treating them condescendingly
    I didn't recognize him at first on Frasier. He really nailed that role, too. It's a shame he never won an Emmy. I guess he was overshadowed by David Hyde Pierce, who was nominated eleven straight years, and won four times.

16. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Oh yeah, the writing and Long’s performance were brilliant. I love the episode where Diane tries out for the ballet and gives the speech in front of the dance company “...for I must dance. Damnit I must!” Or the one where she attends the press conference when Sam is dating the councilwoman played by Kate Mulgrew (“I believe we’re supposed to be asking the questions. Janet, how dumb do you think Sam is?”) and she’s shooting a squirt gun at Sam. Or the one where Sam is published in a poetry magazine and she goes bananas trying to prove he plagiarized his poem. Or the first Bar Wars episode where Diane saves the day with her bowling skills and spars with Gary (“Oh, couldn’t make Summa?”). Too many great moments to list.

17. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

18. jason88cubs

19. jason88cubs

20. jason88cubs

21. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

He was in another Cher movie as well, Suspect.

22. Timeless Classics

Who are 3 men who’ve never been in my kitchen?

$22,000 big ones![​IMG]

pdenny, Chip TRG and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. George Co-Stanza

That, plus, the early Frasier years usually saw Michael Richards and Jason Alexander from Seinfeld nominated, and the later Frasier years usually saw Brad Garrett from Everybody Loves Raymond nominated. Just too many good nominees every year during that stretch.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

Wow, you have an encyclopedic knowledge of Emmy nominations during this period! Thanks.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Timeless Classics

Another favorite scene during the Rebecca years... The Trivia Napkins. Frasier teaches Sam the difference between patronage and patronizing, Cliff yells out "You and your precious trivia napkins - if you love them so much why don't you marry them" and Cliff forges a trivia napkin with Frasier hilariously responding "this is isn't a trivia napkin, it is a cry for help."

felipezorro likes this.