The Rockford Files - what a great show

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by tomhayes, Oct 7, 2006.

1. johnb3049

johnb3049 New Member

That’s really helpful, thanks.

Apart from changes to the pilot, are the rest of the episodes the same versions on the blu ray as they are on the DVDs?

I’m interested to know if either version has the original non-syndicated versions of the episodes.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Wonderful show and Garner was superlative. One of the 10 best tv shows ever.

Although anyone who got knocked unconscious as often as Jim Rockford would have had Parkinson's by Season 2 haha.

3. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Yeah, if you've ever read the old Philip Marlowe books and short stories, he gets knocked out by either a hit to the back of the head or a loaded drink in every story. Rockford, I am sure, took a good deal of inspiration from Marlowe. In fact Garner played Philip Marlowe in a movie in the 60s.

artfromtex likes this.
  4. Zen Hammer

Zen Hammer Active Member

I've been enjoying watching the show as I heard about when I was growing up but just never got round to watching it. It's available here in Australia for free streaming via a commercial tv stations which is also showing it on weekday afternoons. I think the plots are always that amazing (Colombo is maybe better in that way) but all the great characters and location work is a joy. He's also a bit different, single, hangs out with his Dad, lives in a caravan but not a real nerdy weirdo. Great show!

5. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

“Life is like a red Ford, Jimmy.” His dad always had great advice.

mfcmad likes this.
  6. Great series. Just wish the Blu-rays used the Original negatives and aired versions vs. the syndicated for some of the episodes. Some of the Blu’ s look really good others less so.

7. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Rockford was on at 9PM followed by Quincy at 10 on NBC in the late '70s; My best friend and I always had a big bag of Taco flavored Doritos and a couple of 32 ounce glass bottles of Coke ready every week!

8. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Original series streaming on Peacock. Noice!!

artfromtex likes this.
  9. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

I like the opening theme song.

10. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Ilusndweller likes this.
  11. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

It's a Mike Post theme, doncha know. ;)

edit: rats, ninja'd!

12. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

13. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Not only did they have no rapport or chemistry, but Robert Donley's characterization of Rocky was much different from Beery's.
    Donley's Rocky was a schemer, more caustic and dishonest. I didn't like his portrayal at all.

seacliffe301 likes this.
  14. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Well, I haven't seen (AFAIK) the Rockford pilot, but I kind of like the description of Robert Donley's characterization. Having a more caustic, dishonest father would nicely explain why someone like Jim Rockford grew up to become a con man.

artfromtex likes this.
  15. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Sound logic. But, Beery was just so lovable.

mfcmad and Scooterpiety like this.
  16. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I wish someone would count how many times Jim Rockford was knocked unconscious during the series? I see online that Mannix was knocked out 55 times over the course of his series. I wonder if Jim Rockford beat that? Ha Ha

mfcmad and carlwm like this.
  17. Is there a list anywhere with which episodes are the syndicated versions? I’ve read the made-for-TV movies are but can’t find info on any specific episodes.

18. Alf.

Alf. Forum Resident

Never missed an episode. Topnotch acting and storylines. I always had a lot of respect for James Garner; not only a great actor, but a man of principle, gallantry & generosity, as well. And though it's undoubtedly shallow to say this, it also helped that he was such a hunk.

[​IMG]

19. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

As far as Blu Ray vs. DVDs, I'd say just get the DVDs. I had the BRs for a couple weeks and sold them because I liked my DVDs more. The PQ on the DVDs is outstanding enough. And you don't have to wonder if you're getting the original or syndicated version. It's all original, I believe. Makes a huge difference on some episodes, such as the pilot. E.g., in the pilot they stop part 1 in the middle of a very key and exciting action scene. In the DVD it, it's one long episode, so it just plays right on through. And the Blu Rays don't have captions or special features.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
    kouzie likes this.
  20. mfcmad

mfcmad Touch and Go

I love the show. My favorite episode is "The Oracle Wore A Cashmere Suit".

Cantina BarFly and Paul J like this.
  21. For the pilot, I prefer it being the two separate episodes as I’ve read an additional 16 minutes was added to them to fill the time slot (the pilot when first aired was 90 minutes, when it went in to syndication it was edited in to two 1-hour episodes, with the additional footage).

There’s some interesting discussion on all this here:

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...lable-for-preorder.352223/page-4#post-4501680

Mister Charlie likes this.
  22. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I just started S5 from the mega DVD boxset with all 6 seasons in it. I had a break of a couple of months, and S5 picks up where it left off, quality-wise. The only thing about these later episodes is you don't always get a lovely 70s actress in a major role, it's a bit more "mob" centric and the plots can get a bit convoluted.

EG.

Mister Charlie and Shawn like this.
  23. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

One thing that bugs me about the opening credits/theme in every episode....why did they never fix that obvious glitch in the audio?

EG.

24. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

The extra scenes were of a lesser sort and omitted from the original to cut down the time. I remember they were nothing very spectacular at all. E.g., there was a scene of some dancing dogs at that gentleman's club that they cut.

25. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Just watched that the other night!

Had watched 12 Angry Men and flashed on that Robert Webber episode (it’s like one of four).

Interesting that he replaced William Daniels, who was injured early in the filming.

mfcmad likes this.