SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Grateful Ed

Grateful Ed Forum Resident

@Steve Hoffman What's the deal with the tape for "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight"? On the 2003 and the MFSL stereo remasters of John Wesley Harding there is a fair amount of tape hiss and some other weird stuff going on during that track. The version on your Greatest Hits, Vol. II disc sounds much better. Not only in EQ, but in lack of tape noise/artifacts. Does that stuff exist on the master, and did you seek out a nice copy tape that had less wear? Something else? Either way, you did a wonderful job. It's one of my favorite discs.

I love those non-album tracks: You Ain't Goin' Nowhere, When I Paint My Masterpiece, I Shall Be Released... Some of my all time favorite Dylan songs.

Does the original CD release of John Wesley Harding have the same issues? I've never heard that version.

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The AF GHII uses the original JWH CD as a source, which was remixed. Details here:

I pulled out my old Columbia CD of Dylan's JOHN WESLEY HARDING just to be sure....

3. Grateful Ed

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    C6H12O6 likes this.
  4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That said, the original mix can be found in the same high quality on the Biograph and GHII remasters.

5. Grateful Ed

So the original mix in "full fidelity" can be found on the above CDs, but the dubbed / limited / compressed LP master (of the original mix) is what was used for the 2003 and MFSL stereo releases? Very bizarre that the full fidelity versions were used as recently as 1999 but the 2003 SACD uses the LP master. I think I prefer the mono mix for this album anyway, so I'll save myself a headache seeking out a "definitive" stereo version.

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yes. Along with All Along The Watchtower (GHII) and Dear Landlord (Biograph).

Whether those who worked on the 2003 and MFSL releases were not aware of the "full fidelity" tape(s) or if the LP master was used for a specific reason is unclear.

Grateful Ed likes this.
  7. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

Wildflowers.

8. Grateful Ed

I just realized re-reading some of the thread you linked above how recently everyone was discussing this. I totally missed it. Funny coincidence that I just happened to notice something up with “I’ll Be Your Baby Tonight” within the last week. Thanks again for all the info!

9. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I’m real interested in Steve’s take on 5.1 mixes. But for me on my system the Doors Greatest Hits Quadra mix is Superb.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I don't have a surround system. I like the old Quad mixes from the 1970s. They are neat.

11. Grateful Ed

@Steve Hoffman do you know what's up with the Waiting For The Sun master tape? The tape used for the DCC has some phase issues (as I'm sure you remember), but overall the whole album sounds much clearer than the AP SACD. Part of this seems to be EQ choices, but much of the difference sounds like a source discrepancy to me. Botnick was forthcoming about using a copy tape for S/T, yet he also claimed that the master tape was used for Waiting For The Sun. The 1999 and HD Tracks releases also sound more similar to the AP than the DCC. Was the DCC the last time the actual master tape was used?

Anthrax and George P like this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

What's up with it? Sleeping in the Doors' Vault. It's c-c-c-cold in there.

hi_watt likes this.
  13. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

So come on then, Light Their Fire!

tumpux and wrappedinsky like this.
  14. Dan

Dan Senior Member

@Steve Hoffman I was reading the liner notes on Van Halen’s “3” album, the one they did with Gary Cherone. Among the “thanks to” it says Steve Hoffman. Is that you or some other Steve?

George P likes this.
  15. Gregalor

Gregalor Forum Resident

I’d be impressed if there was another Steve Hoffman out there being thanked in liner notes

AFA and All Down The Line like this.
  16. Steve Hoffman

Reposted by request:

In school I worked at Metromedia sister stations KLAC AM (Country) and KMET FM (Rock). I worked the swing shift, started at 3 PM, off at midnight, thereby avoid traffic both ways since I lived in the West Valley and the stations were in town. Sometimes I stayed long after midnight if something cool was going on. I hung with B. Mitchell Reed and all the gang at the Mighty Met and the great country jocks at KLAC.

Working there was the best job I ever had, even if the pay was low @ $3.25 an hour.

KLAC is where I met all the Country stars of the day and 10 feet away up the hall was KMET where I met all the Rock stars of the day. I was in heaven and they were paying me. I was living at home, my dad paid for my gas, I went to school in the AM and rocked out in the PM. I got free Country records and free Rock records, I was in charge of the air sound at KLAC during prime drive time and always had a blast. I picked out KMET DJ Jim Ladd's groupies for him, I kissed Tanya Tucker, got to strum guitar with Johnny Cash, I chatted with ALL of Fleetwood Mac about politics, I was in bliss. I met Pink Floyd, Elton John, all kinds of great rock and country people.

I got to do live remotes from Disneyland, I got to know the wonderful record company reps, and learned everything about broadcasting from KLAC GM and Radio Legend Bill Ward (the best boss I ever had), KMET PD Sam Bellamy, KLAC PD Don Langford, all the gang at Metromedia Radio. Best year I ever had. 1976-77. Ask Dr. Demento, he remembers it all!

Weekends I worked at Pacifica Radio KPFK and got paid for that as well, one of the few that did. That was (is) a crazy place but I learned a lot there as well, a more political kind of learning, and a deep discovery of obscure music from all eras.

I just wanted to mention that this all came about simply because I hung around our local college radio station, watched them do live shows, learned how to work the board and took the effort to get my FCC license (cost like 20 bucks or something). One of the college radio people was working at Metromedia, leaving for a better paying union job at CBS and recommended me. I was willing to work weird hours, and I guess they liked me. They hired me and the next thing I knew I was standing next to Elton John, adjusting him microphone. Happened in one day.

Dave, Bananas&blow, somnar and 32 others like this.
  17. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

:faint:

g.z. and Rick Bartlett like this.
  18. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Just curious but what was required to get an FCC license besides the $20? Was it a questionnaire similar t0 passing a driver's license written test?

g.z. likes this.
  19. Steve Hoffman

Study and then testing. A bunch of us studied together and took the test as a group in Downtown LA. We all passed.

hi_watt and sunspot42 like this.
  20. Tim Lookingbill

Was it difficult? Can you give an example of what was asked in the test? One question that stumped you?

Had you already established yourself as having a good ear to be recommended for the Metromedia position after the other college dude left for CBS?

21. Steve Hoffman

Examinations
    General Radiotelephone. Electronic fundamentals and techniques required to adjust, repair, and maintain radio transmitters and receivers. To pass, an examinee must correctly answer 75 out of 100 questions, from the following categories:

• operating procedures
    • radio wave propagation
    • radio practice
    • electrical principles
    • circuit components
    • practical circuits
    • signals and emissions
    • antennas and feed lines

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  22. Tim Lookingbill

YIKES! You must've been a fast learner to be able to know all that in college without any formal training.

23. Steve Hoffman

This is a picture of the college radio station with Doug Brown at the console. I learned by watching Doug and when I got my license I could touch. I sat in and learned how to do everything and then the KLAC/KMET-FM job came up.

109564735_3869665229784759_1621819123532355070_o.jpg

hi_watt, somnar, polchik and 10 others like this.
  24. Steve Hoffman

There was a study book!

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  25. Tim Lookingbill

Were you ever told by Doug Brown and other technicians?..."Don't touch that button" and/or "Who pushed that button and didn't turn it back off".

With all those buttons and levers displayed in the pictured control board I can't imagine the disasters in sound that would occur. It's like a airline cockpit. I know I couldn't keep straight what any of those buttons would do to the outgoing broadcast sound.