Woody Allen: Film by Film Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Aug 29, 2015.

1. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

I watched the series three times ... but it was all downhill after the haircut. :)

adm62 and John Lucey like this.
  2. John Lucey

John Lucey Forum Resident

Ha...too true. But I could watch that scene in the barbershop every day. And I laughed at his performance when he pitched his sitcom idea for the sheer Woodyness of it.

RayS likes this.
  3. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

He was good in "Call me by your name" though.

sunspot42 and rockerreds like this.
  4. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I’ve seen him in a few things — Lady Bird was another — and I’m not impressed with his milquetoast onscreen presence. YMMV, obvs.

mrjinks, johnsiddique and Beaneydave like this.
  5. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

I disliked him before I actually saw him in a movie because he demanded that Rainy Day was not released or something like that, if I remember correctly. But I was deeply moved by "Call me by your name", so he can't have been too bad. I was on painkillers after surgery though. No, it was a great film. Maybe the role of the bewilderd teenager just fitted him.

6. stepeanut

He does that a lot. At 24, it may be time for him to move on to other things. I think Walmart may be hiring.

mrjinks and alexpop like this.
  7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

All the actors that decided to jump off the WA ship I now dislike, glad Michael Cain changed his mind.

mrjinks and vivresavie like this.
  8. stepeanut

Cowardice is distasteful, but that is not why I dislike Chalamet. I just think he’s a crap actor.

mrjinks, johnsiddique and John Lucey like this.
  9. John Lucey

So, this is the only thing that I've ever seen with Chalamet in it. I thought that he was just okay. He didn't ruin it for me.

Quick question though: what do you all think that Woody wanted us to feel about this character? That he was cool? Foolish? A little of both? I mean, I half-expected for someone to break his cigarette holder like Virgil Starkwell's glasses...

mrjinks likes this.
  10. stepeanut

He is clearly the latest in a long line of Woody substitutes. I think we’re supposed to see him as an old soul; wise beyond his years; a young man who dances to the beat of his own drum. I just don’t think he has the strength of character to pull that off, so we’re left with a privileged, yet insipid, shell who drifts from one unconvincing vignette to another.

It is not completely Chalamet’s fault, though. The script is weak and the dialogue often anachronistic.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    mrjinks and John Lucey like this.
  11. alexpop

Pity I liked Colin Firth.

L.P. likes this.
  12. John Lucey

Not to jump around too much, but I recently watched Anything Else again. In light of reading Apropos of Nothing, the movie does suddenly carry a bit more weight for me in a way. And yet, it still didn't make it much better. I had forgotten how good both Woody and Danny De Vito are in the movie. Jason Biggs was as dull as I'd remembered and Christina Ricci was even more annoying.

I guess a little more resonance doesn't add much to the existing tune.

mrjinks and RayS like this.
  13. stepeanut

I saw this again a few months ago. Not my favourite leading cast members, but no one of them annoyed me to distraction. I actually like the film overall. One of those pictures where I find it easy to overlook its flaws and just breeze through, enjoying the witty dialogue.

John Lucey likes this.
  14. alexpop

Rifkin's Festival ..Cast say positive things about the director. :edthumbs:

vivresavie likes this.
  15. alexpop

One actor that really annoyed me was Peter Saarsgaard, who was another one to denounce him. Ironically PS didnt seem to be getting any work till WA put him in Blue Jasmine. Talk about being ungrateful.

mrjinks and John Lucey like this.
  16. John Lucey

Any more information of Rifkin's Festival?

17. stepeanut

John Lucey likes this.
  18. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Still wish he'd make one with Alda, Roberts and himself.

John Lucey likes this.
  19. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

Wouldn't it be great if he made one last absolute masterpiece? Like Johnny Cash's American Recordings in film form.

John Lucey likes this.
  20. John Lucey

I love this idea. Maybe add Elaine May and Diane Keaton...okay, I just started drooling at the prospect of that cast.

vivresavie, Jerry Horne and smilin ed like this.
  21. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Yes please. Add Michael Murphy, Julie Kavner, Dianne Weist, Wallace Shawn. Pity we missed David Ogden Stiers. We're on a roll.

22. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Don't forget Mia Farrow!

:hide:

23. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Blue Jasmine was a masterpiece.

vivresavie and John Lucey like this.
  24. John Lucey

Jerry Horne likes this.
  25. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

Sure, Blue Jasmine was very good. What I meant was an even greater film. Like an epiloque to his life's work. Doesn't have to be just one movie, could be a series of movies. But not another light romantic comedy.