Beach Boys Hybrid SACD (Acoustic Sounds)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jason Manley, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Paying $800 for a TASCAM and recording from analog outs when cheap Sony players will rip them at full quality.

All my SACDs are ripped to both dsd and pcm (for compatibility).

MartinGr likes this.
  2. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Guys, Please take a deep breath and relax. I am aware that older model Sony Play Stations can be hacked and you can then rip SACD's. Of course, if you have one of these in your possession you can use it (IIRC there are also certain older Oppo's and maybe some Pioneer players that can also be hacked to rip SACD's ). Edwin said that his gear would not rip SACD's so I assume he does not have any of the gear you are talking about. I believe most of this gear that can be hacked is no longer made ( I know for sure that the Sony and Oppo gear is no longer made). All I was doing was offering a way to make DSD copies of any analog signal (vinyl, SACD, CD, analog tape, digital tape ).

Weather or not you think a DSD recorder is of any value at an $800 price is up to you. If you can offer a cheaper solution for making DSD copies of SACD's then offer it to Edwin. My suggestion was not meant to upset anyone, it was meant to be helpful. Peace

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Sorry, T.P. Some people here are just rude f***s.

Sorry again.

4. Hymie the Robot

I still don't understand why you would recommend a portable recorder but whatever. It seemed like an inferior more expensive solution. Good luck and I will bite my tongue next time.

5. Hymie the Robot

Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings. I will go with the flow rather than call out poor ideas. The post I respond to was off topic and poor. Rude f*k seems harsh and is a bit overboard but it's your board. I was critical of an idea and you made it personal.

6. Steve Hoffman

Just be nice. Costs nothing. We're all under pressure these days. This is a good place to be nice and use your best words.

All of us!

Derek Gee, teag, Exotiki and 7 others like this.
  7. Hymie the Robot

Digging the ask me thread...

8. Steve Hoffman

I feel I'm boring everyone there..

Exotiki and Hymie the Robot like this.
  9. supermd

supermd Senior Member

You remind me of those times when a musician thinks an incredible song is ho-hum. This is your forum. People come here to hear anything and everything you have to say. These are your people, Steve. Ya can't bore them/us.

10. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

Gooble Gobble!

supermd likes this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

1397_10153715019591343_6982493962992927676_n.jpg

supermd, agundy, Exotiki and 4 others like this.
  12. Tony Plachy

All, I feel like I touched a nerve. I am sincerely sorry, I never intended to do this to this thread.

13. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

Not true, I'm with you!

14. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Don't feel bad. Most of us are interested in the (incredible musical) presentation SACD can offer and your system is a valid solution!
    Coming here to learn and share information is a wonderful thing but the messenger sometimes gets shot.

15. Tony Plachy

JohnT, Thank you!

16. bktouchstone

bktouchstone Forum Resident

Not boring at all! You’ve had some great/interesting professional experiences. If you ever get around to writing a book I will definitely read it. Keep the stories coming!

17. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

My SACD of Today! showed up. I have to say the stereo mix is a little wonky. I really, really like the Pet Sounds stereo mix, more than I like the original mono, but, for Today!, I prefer the original mono. And the original mono sounds great here.

18. Plus, Tony’s suggestion of using the “analog loophole” to backup/archive your SACD’s is legal in the U.S. The other suggested ways circumvent copy protection and violate the DMCA.

19. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

20. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Come on Steve, don’t be so modest. Their the ones asking you the questions in the first place! :D

You aren’t boring anyone. :hugs:

21. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Ditto, maybe there was just less dubdowns and they favoured more instruments per track in recording, or maybe their we’re a lot of missing tapes they had to fill in stuff with the later dubs:

Either way the Stereo of ‘Today! just isn’t as impressive as ‘Pet Sounds’ stereo IMO.

MarkusGermany and Spencer R like this.
  22. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Without looking it up, is this when Brian was using a three track to record the instrumental parts and then mixing the instrumental track down to one track of an eight track onto which he overdubbed the vocals? Listening to the stereo spread of the instruments on Today!, it sounds as if many of the instrumental tracks were bounced down or pre-mixed and couldn’t be separated when Linnett did the stereo mix: i.e., the stereo mix of a given song will have the drums and almost all of the other instruments in one channel, and then horns or a solo guitar alone in the other channel.

Exotiki likes this.
  23. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

No, he started doing that on Summer Days (and Summer Nights!!!). He used the same process for Pet Sounds and SMiLE -- they also were also mostly recorded on 3-or-4 track while the vocals were recorded on 8 track.

Instrumental tracks weren't recorded o n 8 track until Smiley Smile, I believe.

And for the most part the stereo mixes of Summer Days are excellent. Even Party! sounds pretty great in stereo.But you are not really wrong.

Today! has always sounded crappy in stereo and I remember seeing or reading some interview with Mark Linnett and it does have to do with the way Brian recorded that album and the board he used, etc. It was originally recorded on three track (vocals included.)

I wish I could remember the specifics but there was definitely some method of tracking that Brian used that makes a good-sounding stereo mix impossible for some of the tracks: part of it just might be overdubbing during the mixing process to get an "extra" tracks, which locks the take in mono. This is done a lot on that album, but it was something else on top of that. The board he used, or the order he recorded the overdubs in or something. I think that the vocals are all in mono or perhaps?

24. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Summer Days will be my next Analogue Productions SACD, glad to hear that the stereo mix of that one is better.

Looking at the Wiki entry for Today!, it claims:

“The recording process typically involved recording an instrumental on two tracks of 3-track tape with one remaining track left for the first vocal overdub. This tape was then dubbed down to a second tape for an additional layer of vocal overdubs.”

Listening to Linnett’s stereo mix, you can hear how he was constrained by the premixing decisions that I assume had to be made to record all of the instruments onto just two tracks of a three track tape.

Exotiki and Lance LaSalle like this.
  25. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Today in stereo with headphones is great. Lots of detail lost in the mono. But for home or car listening, mono is the only choice.