Deep Discount deep discounts*

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Marvin, May 9, 2016.

1. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I cannot say this is impossible, simply that I've never seen it happen before in the blowout bin.

Doing a search of Dickey Betts live, two LPs come up. One is in stock and the other is listed as backorder. Neither are in the blowout bin. Not sure which one you picked up.

It would seem strange if the one that is in stock was previously in the bin. If so, I'd guess one of two things happened.

1) Blowout bin stock sold out and almost immediately thereafter additional stock was received.
    2) Blowout bin pricing was discovered as an error and pricing was reverted.

My only point in this whole thing is that I have never really seen anything nefarious in DD's pricing. I know it frustrates people when there might be only one copy of an item that sells out before they can place an order. Seeing the item revert to a higher price, even while showing backorder status, only adds to the frustration to those who are less familiar with how the bin has behaved over the years.

latheofheaven likes this.
  2. allbrosca

allbrosca Dancing Madly Backwards

No. Same price. $17. I was surprised, but we shall see what shows up!

GentleSenator likes this.
  3. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

It's "Live at the Coffee Pot 1983," credited to Leavell & Trucks (though Betts gets top billing on the cover). RIght now it's back on page one of the blowout bin and priced at $6.20-- a double LP, so grab it while you can.

4. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

So this was in the bin previously at $12? That is odd that the price went back up and then plummeted. I guess anything can happen.

This album really isn't in my wheelhouse though. I have a little bit of Allman Brothers that is probably all I need. Someone else who is a bigger fan should jump on this deal though.

5. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Not entirely sure if that's what I paid for it, but I know it wasn't $20 (which it was listed for last night).

It doesn't seem to me that they change prices all that much, more like really desirable titles come and go very quickly. Anyone's guess why "Egypt Station" is still there for cheap.

And for lord's sake, everybody needs to grab that wonderful dB's EP for $4.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    SJP and hutlock like this.
  6. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I think Egypt Station is another Bin thing that went away and then came back. They probably got a bunch of them returned from stores and now they need to clear out a few more.

latheofheaven, bRETT and SJP like this.
  7. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Maybe someday they'll even succeed at getting rid of that Neil Diamond Christmas album.....(I did my part and got one for $5)

8. allbrosca

I paid $6.20 for it (Coffee Pot) on Sunday.

black sheriff likes this.
  9. popscene

popscene Senior Member

Although I could have sworn that it was $9 before, and is now at $14. I wish they'd blow out the Explorer's Edition.

hutlock likes this.
  10. hutlock

I bought it the first time around but I don’t recall what I paid in the slightest. You might be right though.

11. popscene

popscene Senior Member

Well, it all pales in comparison to the $30+ I paid on release day! :D

12. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

I paid $6.20 for it on Saturday. No coupon code.

13. Gabes

Gabes Member

Has anyone else had to pay COD charges for DD orders? This is the second time this has happened with them. I'm in Canada, but these are not customs charges, it's clearly labelled COD (even though I paid shipping on the initial order).

14. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Last Egypt Station I bought from Blowout Bin was $8 plus sales tax for the non gatefold version. I had bought one earlier for a friend for a buck more

hutlock likes this.
  15. blewmaearsout

blewmaearsout Forum Resident

This is the first time I've been hit with a COD charge by DD, perhaps because my other orders have been smaller and not sent via RR DONNELLEY LOGISTICS.

I'll review the small print at DD, but I'm inclined to refuse the order and take it up with PayPal.

16. allbrosca

I'm also in Canada. I got a notice from Canada Post for $13.41 owing on a package. Checked and its RRDOONELLY LOGISTICS. Picking it up tomorrow. I have about 10 orders coming. I try to keep them under $50 to avoid duty and taxes, but every order from RRD gets caught. US post seems to make it through, but takes considerably longer to get to me. I have one other order that was shipped through RRD. Tracking it now. Interested to see if it also gets caught. No rhyme or reason I can find to what gets shipped through RRD.

17. blewmaearsout

blewmaearsout Forum Resident

I've no issue with paying taxes owed, and have taken the long trip out to Pearson to deal with duties myself, rather than pay the exorbitant surcharges couriers try to hit one with.

I see no evidence that the COD is for duties or taxes. If they were, I should have the opportunity to pay them myself. From what I can see, this is RRD charging a fee for expedited delivery, which I never asked for.

It will, as it's a cartage charge, not duty or taxes, IMHO.

18. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

The Professor Longhair is the MPL version, with bonus promo sheet, photos, letter from Paul, Linda, and Denny, w/45.
    Not bad for 8 bucks or so.

neubian, hutlock and blewmaearsout like this.
  19. allbrosca

[QUOTE="blewmaearsout, post: 24816261, member: 93693]

It will, as it's a cartage charge, not duty or taxes, IMHO.[/QUOTE]
    That's not fair. What can we do about it.

20. Biff Jones

Biff Jones Forum Resident

I’ve had fairly good luck with Deep Discount.com. My frustration is when an item is ordered and seemingly paid for only to be cancelled hours or days later. I wish they would do a better job of keeping the inventory for items on the site up to date. If an item is listed as in stock - whether sale or regular price - the customer should be certain of the transaction, not blindsided by a cancellation later on.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  21. Gabes

Gabes Member

That's not fair. What can we do about it.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure. The first time I complained I got a standard reply that they are not liable for extra importing charges, but this is a straight-forward COD charge. Maybe I shouldn't have accepted the package but I didn't want to turn down a giant box of LPs over $11 CAD. But it still bugs me, I think anyone who got dinged should write into DD and complain.

22. allbrosca

I'm not sure. The first time I complained I got a standard reply that they are not liable for extra importing charges, but this is a straight-forward COD charge. Maybe I shouldn't have accepted the package but I didn't want to turn down a giant box of LPs over $11 CAD. But it still bugs me, I think anyone who got dinged should write into DD and complain.[/QUOTE]

I should have my first one later today, I will see what it says the charge is. The second RRD package has been transferred to Canada Post and I was given a Canada Post tracking number by RRD tracking and Canada Post says it should be delivered Monday. Never had that happen before. We will see if I get it or a pick up card with an amount owing.

23. allbrosca

Picked up my package. It was a COD charge, not duty or taxes. I sent DD an email and asked for an explanation since I already paid shipping charges. Did it only cover until the drop-off from RRD Logistics to Canada Post and the COD charges were to pay the Canada Post shipping fees? It doesn't sound right to me!

hutlock likes this.
  24. hutlock

I don’t live in Canada but I agree—if you already paid shipping once, that’s ridiculous!

latheofheaven and allbrosca like this.
  25. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

I bought Egypt Staton Deluxe Edition LP for $15. I was surprised shipping was only a $1.99. Granted it was for media mail, but that is pretty cheap shipping for a LP.

Juggsnelson, mur and Andrew_db like this.