The Moody Blues album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Glenn Christense, Sep 18, 2017.

1. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

a bit late to this thread, but have been listening to several Moodies albums over the past few weeks. I'm probably an outlier here, as I find Every Good Boy Deserves Favour to be their most compelling album and To Our Children's Children to be their least compelling (perhaps because my vinyl copy sounds noticeably duller/dimmer than any of the other Core Seven albums).

In a just world, "One More Time To Live" would be played often on Classic Rock radio.

2. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Every Good Boy Deserves Favour was the first Moody Blues album I heard and still my favorite. Maybe because it was first and the one that hooked me, but nevertheless.

3. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Got to agree here!! One of my favorites!! The melodies and album flow are just wonderful!!

Spadeygrove, Vic_1957 and Big Pasi like this.
  4. btomarra

Add You Can Never Go Home to that playlist!!

5. Vic_1957

Vic_1957 Forum Resident

Aah, 40-something years later and that song has aged very well. I still listen to it (and that album) a lot these days.

6. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Thomas' "Guessing Game" has some neat and rather unexpected vocal progressions - another great tune.

Zardok, btomarra, Vic_1957 and 3 others like this.
  7. btomarra

I received the Sanctuary midline 2005 issue
    SMRCD184 from Amazon UK expecting the Castle PRT (that was the cd pictured with label). Do I need to return this? Is this any good?

8. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

Cherry Red are releasing a new Ray Thomas collection on September 25, 2020.
    Ray Thomas - Words and Music - 2 Disc (CD/DVD) - Cherry Red Records

It will be 1 CD with three tracks from the Moody Blues Mk 1, five tracks from each of his two solo albums, and two newer (one previously unreleased) tracks, plus 1 DVD . Containing the 5.1 mix of From Mighty Oaks and two videos.

[​IMG]

9. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

Moody Blues Mk 1 ? - not the Denny Laine era 'Go Now' fame original Moodies ?

I assume you meant the 'classic' Moodies of 'core seven' albums fame who were Moody Blues 'Mk 2'

10. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

I do mean three tracks from the Danny Laine era.

IT AIN’T NECESSARILY SO – The Moody Blues
    FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART (I LOVE YOU) – The Moody Blues
    HOW CAN WE HANG ON TO A DREAM – The Moody Blues​

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    Vic_1957 likes this.
  11. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

Denny Laine

- strange nothing from Ray's many superb more famous 'Mk2' era Moodies songs or later

assuming those were unavailable for this set then from the 'mk 1' era Moodies they might also have included 'Lose Your Money' featuring Ray's harmonica work

12. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

I have all the MK2 era songs on the original albums so this seems like a good buy to me. I don't have any of his solo albums.
    BTW this was a great thread; I remember looking forward to each new post as each album was discussed.

Lonesurf, BeSteVenn and Vic_1957 like this.
  13. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block Thread Starter

14. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Not tempted at all. If they had a classic concert poster for sale I would be tempted but the few posters they have for sale don't look very interesting.

15. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

As you prob know, negative

I love the Moody Blues, but right now my future days will be passed by listening to the core 7 plus LDV and The Present every once in a while :cool:

16. Glenn Christense

Yes; to me $325.00 is crazy money for this, regardless of how nicely it’s framed, etc.

It’s too late now of course, but if it was hand signed by the five band members it might help justify the price, IMO.

Defrance and BeSteVenn like this.
  17. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

No. I’d rather donate the money to a local food pantry or another worthwhile local charity. This is really tonedeaf and tasteless. A Question of “Balance” indeed.

18. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Wow - the smell of desperation! I looked through that site. Tote bags? Canvas wraps? Air freshener? Masks? Koozies?

19. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

Almost zero interest. I mean it might be nice for maybe $50 or so. And I don't really get the significance of having your name added to the plaque. I can think of a lot of music I can buy with that money instead. :shrug:

BeSteVenn and Glenn Christense like this.
  20. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Have you ever looked at the Graceland Official Store website? Or the Rolling Stones Official Store website? You can get their tongue logo on almost anything. LOL. There's lots of money to be made in selling band garbage....The Moody Blues are likely small players in this industry. Myself I'll stick to the music.

21. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Yea, but with no music, or even tour posters & album art lithos, it is just really sad.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  22. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Lol...chancers :>)

23. Glenn Christense

I admit it Jim. I had to look up “chancers ”.
    It’s not an expression used here in the US, but after looking it up.. it fits! :D

Sbbrad and zobalob like this.
  24. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

If you didn't mention that commemorative plaque @Glenn Christense I'd have shamefully missed this month as being 50 years since its release.
    It will now be in heavy rotation this weekend for catch up play. Appreciate your thread bump! :)

25. Glenn Christense

You are welcome!

And.. you can have the satisfaction of playing it over and over and it won’t cost you $325.00! :D

BeSteVenn likes this.