Parks Audio Puffin DSP Phono Pre

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Seafinch, May 5, 2018.

1. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

I don’t see how any digital algorithm could convincingly “repair” a defect like non-fill which is of relatively long duration.

bever70 likes this.
  2. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

I agree.

3. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

The Sugarcube significantly diminishes non-fill noise but will not make it disappear completely as it does with pops and clicks

SteelyNJ and captouch like this.
  4. I tried Magic on the non-fill vexing the last two songs on Dylan’s Travelin’ Thru, side one. While it didn’t eliminate it entirely, it was noticeably less present. I found myself listening to the music, not the pressing error.

I’m giving it the ultimate run now with my Ludwig Led Zeppelin II. It has its fair share of crackles in “Whole Lotta Love” and the quiet parts of “What Is and What Should Never Be.” They are almost nonexistent with Magic; it has lost none of Ludwig’s thunderous, dynamic hot mix! I don’t think I’ve ever heard this album so satisfactorily.

Magic indeed!

5. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

Seems the latest SPDIF variants are shipping with 24/96 outputs. I wonder if there's any way to get older units to support the same...

6. ragwo

ragwo Well-Known Member

Can't find any info about that. Do you have a link? Hopefully the older units can be upgraded.

7. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

I believe Shannon is offering an upgrade kit.

8. ragwo

ragwo Well-Known Member

Thanks. Do you know the price?

9. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

I found it here - Parks Audio Puffin phono stage.

ragwo likes this.
  10. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

Also interested in what an upgrade would be priced at.

Happy to DIY as I did already.

But if parts need to be imported from Shannon it might be too expensive.

If they're off the shelf from any electronics supplier - I'm almost certainly in.

11. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Not sure on the cost. These are Shannon’s instructions on how to do the upgrade. If you email him he will let you know on the cost. He is good about emailing responses.

http://parksaudiollc.com/spdif/spdif.html

sam snead likes this.
  12. dcarwin

dcarwin Forum Resident

I think these are the original instructions to add the digital output. Has anyone seen instructions specific to upgrading from 24/48 to 24/96?

13. ragwo

ragwo Well-Known Member

I did the S/PDIF output modification as soon as I received the Puffin. It sounds very good to me. I've emailed Mr. Parks about the 24/96 output. Will post here when I get a response.

dcarwin likes this.
  14. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

Agreed those look like the original ones I followed. Date shown would suggest that too

15. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

Has this been posted previously?
    From the Parks Audio Facebook page:

“Now shipping a Puffin with a Toslink/optical output. Ideal for ground isolating your sensitive turntable setup from the rest of your audio system.”

This is a $639 option in addition to the $589 digital coax option. I believe it’s still 24/48, however.

ragwo likes this.
  16. ragwo

ragwo Well-Known Member

Never seen that before. Exciting times for Puffin fans!

17. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Where did this supposed change to a 24/96 output get announced? I still can't tell if this is real or just a rumor.

18. ragwo

ragwo Well-Known Member

I guess we'll have to wait for an announcement from Mr. Parks. On the other hand, why would the man on the other forum lie about getting 24/96 from the Puffin? Hopefully there will be an upgrade option for us with 24/48 output and upgradius nevrosa.

19. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Can you post a link to that post on the "other" forum? I'd just like to read the claim for myself rather than relying on rumors.

20. ragwo

ragwo Well-Known Member

Second post in this thread:
    Parks Audio Puffin phono stage.

Thanks to @rtrt for finding it.

TarnishedEars likes this.
  21. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

If you read on in that thread, the 96k claim was challenged and another poster reported getting only 48k. I suggest reaching out to Shannon directly if you want a definitive answer. When I emailed him about my order he responded very quickly.

22. ragwo

ragwo Well-Known Member

I've reached out to Mr. Parks and I'll let him announce any changes. I believe both posters are right though.

23. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

Logically it'll likely be linked the the new optical digital out.

that'll need some additional hardware - hence the higher price and I assume that at the same time he's 'fixed ' the restriction that forced the internal 96/24 to be 48/24 on the coax output.

I'm hoping that the addition will be retro fitable for us earlier customers - that's one of the things that's great about his approach. Feels like If it's possible he'll offer it in some way...

dcarwin likes this.
  24. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

If this unit can be fitted with digital input too, that would make a great preamp.

25. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

Some interesting posts from Shannons FB page - Parks Audio LLC

• Reynaldo Rios What??? lol That's amazing. I already modded mine with a coax, do you have pictures? Congrats for the new products.
      • [​IMG]Author
        Parks Audio LLC No pix yet, Reynaldo. Also probably will just be a factory upgrade as the Toslink port really needs a small daughter board PCB I've made, though I might make it a kit.
      • Reynaldo Rios the kit idea sounds great. sign me up! Thanks
    • Massimo Carozzi I'm fine with the coax mod and no interference whatsoever, will there any advantage (beside isolation) with optical connection? I think the driving digital signal is the same used by coax, isn't it? thanks Shannon
      • [​IMG]Author
        Parks Audio LLC If you have no system interference, then it's unnecessary for you, Massimo. Just a matter of when system ground loops or leakage currents travel through the copper shielding of the interconnect and add noise.

ragwo likes this.