Finished Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men.. What's next?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Fahzz

Fahzz Forum Resident

You guys talking about Narcos also should consider reading Don Winslow's Border Trilogy. Lengthy novels based on real (and frightening) events and people.

starfieldroad, cporcp and Brenald79 like this.
  2. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Good call. Those are probably my 3 favourite books. It’s being turned into a series.

starfieldroad likes this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Boys: Season 2/ starts September 4... all you Amazon/Netflix (lucky ) people.

Brenald79, musicarus and cporcp like this.
  4. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

Watched season 1/episode 1 last night - not bad, Karl Urban was great - didn't realize he was a New Zealander. I have meniscus surgery on 9/3 so this was a good find.

Brenald79, slipkid and alexpop like this.
  5. alexpop

NZ with Jason Statham accent. Lol. :)

6. alexpop

Funnily enough.... Urban has a cockney accent in Thor : Ragnarok. :)

7. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

I haven't seen him in anything other than the Star Trek franchise.

alexpop likes this.
  8. alexpop

Became aware of him with Pathfinder (2007).

9. alexpop

Got “His Dark Materials“
    S1.

Didn’t know it was a kids series.

Oh.. well.

10. alexpop

The Gobblers. :D

11. alexpop

Managed to get Lonesome Dove on dvd again ( past weekend ) as I got rid of my original lonesome dove as it wasn’t full screen and wanted to get the blu ray.. this was 2013, never managed to find a BD version. Anyway this dvd is full screen version( no subtitles). Don’t think I noticed Deadwood actor William Sanderson in it before ( he was also in Blade Runner).. he just looks the same, doesn’t seem to age.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    slipkid likes this.
  12. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Thanks for the recommendation. Just watched the preview, looks great. We're struggling to get through season 2 of The Path and looking for something with better writing. This looks like it will fit the bill. :thumbsup:

alexpop likes this.
  13. alexpop

Definitely a winner.

Veech likes this.
  14. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

The Path got worse as it went along. I don't think we even watched the last couple of episode of season 3. God-awful.

alexpop likes this.
  15. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

The Path never clicked for me even after I read that it was based on trying to leave Scientology. Not sure what it was other than the writing. Maybe the fact that Aaron Paul and Michelle Monaghan were both producers had something to do with it. Competing ideas about what the show should be led to compromises in the script.

alexpop and Scotian like this.
  16. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

A question about Lonesome Dove (I have the original release on DVD, full screen IIRC).

For some reason I always thought that from watching it air on TV that there was a subplot/episode/whatever that had Capt. Call (Tommy Lee Jones) captured by Indians and forced to do a "running with arrows" thing. But I don't think the DVD has that?? Am I just confused (that is on the DVD somewhere but I am misrembering) or confusing this show with something else (maybe even the sequel which had Jon Voight in the Capt Call part?).

alexpop likes this.
  17. alexpop

Didn’t see it on tv when it was aired 1989/1990,, so unaware of capture / run with arrows. Haven’t seen the Jon Voight sequel (yet).

slipkid likes this.
  18. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Maybe it was from the sequel, but for some reason my memory is confused and somehow it substituted TLJ for Jon Voight. I don't remember much of anything from the JV sequel at all btw other than I didn't like it very much.

alexpop likes this.
  19. alexpop

Believe my latest Lonesome Dove came from a LD dvd boxset.. all the subsequent LD spin-offs included, I’ve been looking for the boxset myself. Also the Blu Ray Lonesome Dove, I want the BD version for extras ( it there is any). Picture supposed to be better( though perhaps cropped). For a 30 year old production, LD dvd looks pretty good.. except the slo mo and the lightning fx (cows scene).

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    slipkid likes this.
  20. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Just finished watching this four part miniseries. I really enjoyed it. Quite amazing actually.

Brenald79 and alexpop like this.
  21. alexpop

Looks excellent!
    Thx

Scotian likes this.
  22. alexpop

Watched that in the sixties. Not wowed by the reboot films.

23. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

Eh, different strokes. I was prepared to not to like them at all, and wound up
    enjoying them - tho not wowed. I can’t remember the last movie that wowed me.

24. alexpop

I’m more tv series wowed recently The Boys .. in the past Breaking Bad etc

25. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

I agree re Breaking Bad - that series set a high bar. The Boys is entertaining.

slipkid likes this.