Good Deals on amazon.com (part3)

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by lv70smusic, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I don't get the point of those single boxes. If you have the albums, what's the point? Different packaging and having 45s instead?

ispace and latheofheaven like this.
  2. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Sounds like you totally get it to me.

marcb, aoxomoxoa, mrjinks and 5 others like this.
  3. Strat-Mangler

I was hoping for something of substance like perhaps different mixes or something of the kind. If it's just packaging and having a single song per side, I admit it's totally not for me in any way.

hutlock likes this.
  4. hutlock

I think in some cases with these things there are different mixes, but not with this one as far as I can tell. It ain’t for me either.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  5. Strat-Mangler

Thanks for clarifying. Easy pass for me, then.

hutlock likes this.
  6. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Aren’t all these versions on past masters?

7. hutlock

Yep.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  8. Muffinbutt

Muffinbutt Forum Resident

Only issue is just do not think I would play these 7 inches much and would collect dust. Looks very nicely packaged though but i just wouldnt get anything out of it. Big beatles fans will like it and hard to believe some are left still.

latheofheaven likes this.
  9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Not too hard to believe because the only thing this set offers is pretty 45 sleeve reproductions. If what you care about is music, it's pointless.

10. hutlock

Hard to believe there are SETS left or hard to believe there are Big Beatles fans left? Lol

11. hype

hype Forum Resident

Not a pointless set at all. If it's not your thing I get it though just like many think buying vinyl period is ridiculous in 2020.

I think many people had no idea what to expect when buying this box in the first place. That's why you see people that absolutely love it and people that hate it, I can understand both sides.

This set was made entirely to sound like the original 45's as if you hunted down a mint original and I think they knocked it out of the park for that. The sleeves and labels are all immaculate and true to the original (outside of I believe 1-2 rough scan jobs). You can hear the improvement of the sound as you go from the oldest to the newest just like you would if you had all originals. This set did not use any of the recent remasters, so it's not really fair to compare it to the mono reissues because that was never the goal for this set.

If you're just looking for the best possible sound quality the mono masters is the way to go without question because you get the fantastic remasters and don't have to switch sides constantly. If you want an accurate sound from the original 45's which I think still sound great when turned up and have a jukebox or occasionally enjoy the process of listening to 45's this is a great set for you. This is not essential like the mono box is/was this is more of a beautifully done luxury item that will not be for everyone.

Saying all that, I had a blast listening to a good chunk of it at a friends house awhile back and if it gets much closer to $100 i'll be grabbing a copy for myself as well.

12. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Maybe the Big Beatles fans all lost a little weight recently? ;)

hutlock and latheofheaven like this.
  13. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Dennis Metz likes this.
  15. Strat-Mangler

Any documentation to that effect? If they're different mixes or feature different mastering, it might be interesting but unless they bluntly state this, it may sound like wishful thinking or confirmation bias.

latheofheaven and hutlock like this.
  16. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Beatles fans.... they’re so.... HEAVY!

they gonna carry that weight a long time.

17. hutlock

I was under the impression that these singles used the 2009 remasters. Not sure what possible reason they would NOT use those?

latheofheaven likes this.
  18. Strat-Mangler

If they remixed/remastered them to emulate the sound of the original 45rpm UK singles, I could understand the high price tag but I doubt very much that they did so as there would otherwise be thousands more of these sold, there would be tremendous hype to that effect from Beatlemaniacs, and they would certainly command a much higher price.

latheofheaven and hutlock like this.
  19. hutlock

Yep. And they most certainly would have shouted it from the rooftops that it had been done as well.

latheofheaven and Strat-Mangler like this.
  20. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

The Beatles singles were remastered for that box set. And yes they did state that they tried to get close to the originals.

Shawn, latheofheaven and hutlock like this.
  21. hutlock

Thanks for enlightening us! Do you have any sort of a link to where we can verify that info?

EDIT: I just watched the hype video for the product. It says “Mastered at Abbey Road” but no mention at all of it being a NEW master, who did it, etc. Again I would think if these were new masters, they would very clearly state that for reasons outlined above.

latheofheaven and Strat-Mangler like this.
  22. RJ3000

RJ3000 Forum Resident

I found this interview with Sean Magee to be insightful into what the process was behind this box:

Matt I, kwadguy, MerseyBeatle and 2 others like this.
  23. hype

hype Forum Resident

The video above and several articles i've read talk all about it.. I'm not the IRS though so you'll have to work on that documentation yourself....

Not sure why this is all so hard to believe by several members here? I heard it myself though and it's very clear when listening they didn't use past masters.

I personally know 3 people that bought it and they all love it. Most of the complaints I see are people complaining about sound quality compared to todays masters which obviously was not the plan.

I'm not personally a big enough Beatles fan to buy this at more then 100 because I know I would rarely ever listen to them but I thought it was a cool project and had a fun time listening to a friends set.

Shawn likes this.
  24. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I've collected fabs since 1964 but balked at this set when it came out due to the price. ....at $115, basically half price, it was enough to bite. $5 for a picture sleeve single these days is not that outrageous. I have the blue box singles and ep sets from the early 80s I got while in the UK. I have originals too, so it will be fun to compare.

hype, RJ3000, Troyh and 1 other person like this.
  25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

A simple search will answer your question ad infinitum.

hutlock likes this.