I want to love vinyl, but...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Noel Patterson, Sep 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie Thread Starter

...I'm starting to wonder why I'm building a collection. To my ears, with my equipment (this is NOT a vinyl vs digital debate!!) my cds sound equal if not better. New records cost a fortune, and id say 20-30% are on crappy quality vinyl; scuffs, and terrible surface noise regardless of cleaning it. Even used prices are crazy. And factor in my laziness, getting up to flip sides, clean it, sit back down every 20 minutes...

2. audiolistener

audiolistener i like vinyl and cds

what type of setup do you have?

insoc123 likes this.
  3. Noel Patterson

Details are in my profile. Nothing fancy.

scobb, somnar and Strat-Mangler like this.
  4. timind

timind phorum rezident

First let me do this:
    :-popcorn:

As one who was listening primarily to records during the late 60s through the mid 90s, I have the same feeling toward vinyl today. It doesn't sound better to me, and it's not worth the hassle it takes.

5. AyeNo

AyeNo Forum Resident

Reminds me of the vinyl snake oil revitalizers, static removers, and Audiophile brush kits from the '70's. Obsessing over the needle. And usually for all the trouble wrecking fave albums. No offense to fans of vinyl... never looked back after starting to buy CD's.

6. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

I love vinyl simply because it's more fun for me than other formats.

You're not obligated to stick with it if it isn't fun! Sell your vinyl and buy a load of used CDs!

7. Noel Patterson

Ya I was going to put the popcorn emoji up too :D. Even though my father and brother have had large collections of vinyl for decades, I was a cassette kid and then cds. I don't have the same nostalgia for it I guess?

8. timind

timind phorum rezident

I should, but feel nothing for it. Oddly, my 22-year-old grandson seems to be into it it big time. We facetimed this afternoon so he could show me the records be bought at his local record store today. I'm giving him all the technical advice on turntable care to get him up to speed. He bought a real piece of crap record player on amazon. The thing would not play at all. I told him to return it and I gave him an extra turntable which he loves. We'll see if this is a fad, but I'm not going to discourage him.

9. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

You've fooled me completely!:-popcorn:

10. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

In this day and age, I'm surprised anyone is buying records, for all the reasons you list.

jeff

11. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Don't. Why bother? Enjoy music on your terms. Why force it, especially at this point in your life?

12. Noel Patterson

Oh, and not to mention the farce that is record store day! So I can stand in line to hopefully buy an overpriced release, and if I can't get it, pay quadruple on eBay or private?!

13. Noel Patterson

Erm, your name is vinylkid tho...:laugh:

14. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Sounds like it's not your thing. Don't hassle it. Save your money.

thnkgreen, uzn007, Clucking and 7 others like this.
  15. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

It's ironic isn't it.:D

jeff

16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If it's too much hassle for you, move on.

I like both CD/lossless digital and vinyl.

Vinyl is definitely more of a hassle and general PITA than putting on a CD. In times where I get frustrated with it, I usually walk away for a bit and come back.

Used vinyl was a lot more fun back when records were much cheaper, before current trends hit. I have records I paid $2-3 for that sell for $40+ now. If people are overpaying for scratched and groove worn common classic rock albums it's kind of their fault, though they have definitely had an effect on the overall market. Certain types of Jazz have really gotten out of control with this kind of thing as well.

Fact is, a lot of the good used vinyl is drying up unless you are buying stuff that everyone and their brother doesn't want.

New vinyl is definitely hit or miss, which is one of the reasons we have this forum, so you can research purchases beforehand.

My last 2 or 3 batches of purchases consisted of all old used vinyl and just one new album.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    Old Rusty, caracallac, mackat and 8 others like this.
  17. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

I hear you. Personally I have found that some albums just sound better to me on Vinyl.

Some new, some old. Its a crap shoot. Is it worth the $$$$. Well that is a personal decision.

I just had a major change in listening ability and habit (moved to a headphone system), my record player may not survive the transition. It may go to the basement with my other speaker gear.

jtw, patient_ot and Noel Patterson like this.
  18. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

People still buy CDs? :shh:
    Must be those Classical dudes w/ their SACDs!:targettiphat:

I say to the OP, get out while there is time!

19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Just buy albums you can’t get digital copies of, there are plenty. There doesn’t have to be winners and losers, being able to play multiple formats gives you options. Giving up on any format reduces your options.

20. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

Vinyl is what I want to hear when I don't have access to it.

oblomov724, Day_Tripper2019 and Brudr like this.
  21. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

There's no reason to continue. Contemporary vinyl is overpriced and lousy, and vintage vinyl is mostly overpriced too.

It made sense back in the 90s when LPs were 50 cents apiece, but those days are gone.

22. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Yeah, well...if it weren't for vinyl...I wouldn't be buying much (if any) new music these days. I can thank the loudness wars for that. Besides, there is plenty of used vinyl to be had...often at rock bottom prices. I can generally deal with pressing defects, but yes...they are annoying.

DrZhivago likes this.
  23. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

there is absolutely nothing wrong with CDs.
    You can appreciate both formats.
    Or commit 100% to CD.
    It doesn’t make you a bad person...

24. Noel Patterson

And that's why I started to collect vinyl again: multiple formats. I sometimes feel like I stretch my budget thin doing this though. $80-$100 for 2-3 new records buys a lot of cds, or pays for a streamer over the course of a year.

DiabloG, Humbler, timind and 2 others like this.
  25. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I 100% agree with you! Just send me your records and all your worries will go away...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.