Nick Drake remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yesstiles, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. punkrok78

punkrok78 Forum Resident

well worth investing in, i got all three at once like many people have

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  2. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

AFAIK, there are two sets of Nick Drake remasters:
    Ones that were HDCD and more recent ones that are DSD remastered (with no HDCD).

3. ivor

ivor Senior Member

I think it's even more complex than that.

I bought a remastered Pink Moon in 2001 -- it had the slipcover with a black and white picture of Nick Drake. When I went to open it, I noticed that it had a small white sticker on the back that said "NOT HDCD". If I look at the matrix on the disc, it says "Made in Germany by Universal M & L". However, I don't have an HDCD capable player, so it's possible that the sticker was wrong and it is HDCD encoded -- but that would be a confusing way to waste stickers.

I'm hoping someone else has this edition also and can comment...

4. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

I have one of those DSD remastered CDs with the this is not an HDCD sticker. I tried it on my Windows Media Player to see if it was an HDCD and it isn't. I guess they came out with these ones after they did the pass unto DSD for the "A Treasury" SACD.

5. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

Sure, but while I don't know that comp, I can tell you that the original Island disc is the version of L&L to go for. Even the old A&M with the top end boost is a better choice than the remaster, IMO.

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I found this Box Set in a thrift store bin for $2.00 last year. Discs look unplayed, booklet signed to someone by the author of the notes.

It is Island UK as EMI 1979 would have it. Am I in good enough shape here with this issue of the big three?

7. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

1973, mushrooms, coca cola, Nick Drake compilation LP (from the first two albums), a good friend, over and over and over again it plays, 6 hours later we are out of there and a diehard Nick Drake fan ever since.

8. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

I had a hdcd capable dac at the time when I bought it. The sticker says it all: it's not hdcd encoded.

9. Lazy0ne

Lazy0ne Forum Resident

Is this correct information...I'm very interested for HDCD remasters if they exist?
    BTW I'm very happy with the old Hannibal CD's...

10. ivor

ivor Senior Member

Cool. How do you know that it's DSD mastered, though? My booklet (which may be inaccurate) credits Simon Heyworth with "24 Bit Super Bit Mapped mastering"

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi JKrupa,

I have NM original UK Islands of all 3. My wife has 3 sets of UK originals too. My set was given to me by a friend who had to move to a smaller apartment. The bloke was British and had many nice UK original LP's and a nice McIntosh system he gave me with 2 pairs of NM JBL L-100's. I treasure this haul!

12. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I could be wrong but I think that "24 Bit Super Bit Mapped mastering" is another way of saying DSD. Like I said, I could be wrong. I think those are the versions I have. No slip-covers over the cases. They sound pristine. But like another poster said, they're a bit uninvolving. I wish I could find original UK vinyl for a buck a piece. Oh well. They'll do...

13. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

The Nick Drake remasters I have are the HDCD (which I prefer over the earlier Fruit Tree box CDs).

14. Lazy0ne

Lazy0ne Forum Resident

Catalog #, please...

15. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

As tspit74 said before Super Bit Mapping is a very buzzy-fuzzy kind of way of saying that they downsampled from DSD.

16. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I am not sure I agree

To my knowledge "Super Bit Mapping" or "SBM" is a Sony/Columbia mastering process that was used on their Mastersound Gold Disc Series and is still used today for many of their remaster and Legacy products. SBM was in existence prior to DSD so it would not be a "downsample" of DSD but might be used in conjunction with DSD (but not necessarily so) much the same way MoFi uses their Ultra Gain II with DSD for their SACD releases.

17. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

For the first three albums, the catalog numbers are the same for the HDCD Island or the Fruit Tree box Hannibal CDs: HNCD 4434, 4435, 4436.

The Fruit Tree CDs have white and silver Hannibal labels for the first two and black and silver for Pink Moon, the HDCD have the HDCD logo on an Island label.

18. Lazy0ne

Lazy0ne Forum Resident

19. hal9000

hal9000 Forum Resident

yep...hmm I think I'll throw on Bryter.

20. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

My Bryter Layter CD has HDCD on the label. I thought they all did! (?)

21. onebit

onebit Forum Resident

I believe that the titles in question were originally slated for SACD release - sadly that hasn't happened yet for the individual albums.

DSD comes into it because of this - they were remastered with SACD in mind and they are probably ready to go as SACD's (maybe even all multi-channel). Just some more SACD releases that haven't happened (yet).

There was also some rumbling about "Fruit Tree" being re-released in hybrid CD/SACD form sometime later this year.

Listening to the latest CD remasters, I can't imagine them sounding better; but if they ever come out as SACD's, I'm there!

22. ec461

ec461 Forum Resident

IIRC, SBM refers to the process of doing all EQ, mixing, etc. at a higher bit-depth than 16 bits. Before putting it on a CD, the audio is down-converted to 16bits. Somehow, this preserves more information.

23. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Check this out: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=37566

24. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Have you ever recorded something (HiRez or vinyl, CD would not work) at 88.2/24 or 176.4/24 and then downsampled to 44.1/16? If you do, you'll notice you get more detail on the CD.

DSDs sampling frequency is a multiple of redbook CDs resolution, hence the process of downsampling when bringing the DSD resolution to redbook. This, IMHO, is why it's called Super Bit Mapping: the original sampling frequency is 'mapped' to a lower equivalent frequency through this process.

25. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

OK. Now I'm officially confused. I have the three albums and the "Time of no Reply" collection on Hannibal CD's with the above numbers ("Time of no Reply" is HNCD 1318). All four say "manufactured and marketed by Rykodisk under exclusive license from Island Records Limited." The lables on all four are the silver and black Hannibal lables with light blue lettering. Does this mean that the disks I have, which were all bought separately, used and at different times are the same mastering as that found on the Fruit Tree box. This has been my assumption.

I very much like the sound of these. I have the 2000 Island remaster of "Five Leaves Left," and while it sounds very good--its certainly clearer, for example, and the details are more immediately present--these older disks have a warmer and, to my ears, more natural sound to them. There's something a little *too* present about the remaster, if you know what I mean. More like it's trying to push its way into the room, rather than play in it. I realize these are very subjective judgments, and I certainly wouldn't call the remaster a bad remaster, but I'm curious about how others have felt who have compared the versions I have to the remasters.

L.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.