Denafrips Dacs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bever70, Nov 8, 2019.

1. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Got my shipping notice from Vinshine this morning. I'll be excited to post the unboxing next week. :)

2. Shangri-La

Shangri-La Forum Resident

Very tempted by Denafrips DACs. My main listening system currently is in need of a DAC (GoldenEar Triton Ref + Akitika GT-102 amp). Previous DAC was the Parasound Halo Int, which is now used in my desktop computer system with ELAC Debut B6.2 since I started WFH. Just tried an SMSL M400 and was pretty impressed. Very tempted to get an Ares II.

In the meantime, does anyone know when the Pontus and Venus were released? From what I researched, there was discussion floating online since 2017, so they must be release no later than that. But I have found some review referencing Venus mk ii, and read somewhere in this thread that Pontus/Venus have been updated in 2018 or 2019. Thanks guys!

3. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I'm sure @alvin1118 has the details.

Shangri-La likes this.
  4. Orosie

Orosie Active Member

I just got an Iris for USB to I2S conversion, and am expecting my Terminator Plus to ship tomorrow! Does anyone use an Iris with their Denafrips DAC?

alvin1118 and bever70 like this.
  5. alvin1118

alvin1118 Forum Resident

Hi @Shangri-La ,

Much has changed since the first release of the Pontus/Venus in 2017.

The Pontus DAC:
    https://www.vinshineaudio.com/post/shipped-pontus-r-2r-dac

1. Beefed up power supply
    2. Germany Film Caps WIMA
    3. Upgraded DSP board

The Venus II DAC is upgraded with:

1. TCXO - Temperature-Controlled Crystal Oscillator. This is the prime performance improvement that brings the Venus sonic performance very close to the Terminator DAC
    2. MU Metal shielding between the PSU and Main DAC board, like one found in the Terminator DAC. A metal sheet is added in between.
    3. EVOX MMK caps
    4. Germany Film Caps WIMA
    5. Upgraded DSP board

Hope this helps!

Rgds,
    Alvin
    Vinshine Audio

6. Shangri-La

Thanks Alvin! That certainly helps. DAC technologies advance quickly and it's good to know Denafrips continues to keep their products updated. BTW when was Venus II released?

Viv Savage and displayname like this.
  7. Shangri-La

Another great review from a reputable Youtube channel. (Pontus coming up next!) Man the Ares II and all the Denafrips DACs are the real deal. Must try one...

8. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Yep, I think it's the rare case of a true giant killer in audio.

9. alvin1118

alvin1118 Forum Resident

timind, Shangri-La and displayname like this.
  10. misterdecibel

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My Pontus arrived yesterday. I've only had time to listen to one CD, but it was pretty fantastic.

adamos, Dan Steely, bever70 and 8 others like this.
  11. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

I'm interested in hearing what you think of it after further listening because I'm thinking of getting a Pontus or maybe even a Venus soon myself.

timind likes this.
  12. timind

timind phorum rezident

I'm thinking of ordering an Ares II.
    Hate to ask this, but id there a screw missing on the upper right corner of the back panel?

13. misterdecibel

I'll try, but I have to warn you I'm a terrible reviewer. My comments tend to go along the lines of "this is a very nice product, I like it very much".

I haven't done any comparison with my previous DAC (a Schiit Modi Multibit), I didn't even bother to play the same CD before and after changing them. But my immediate reaction in the first seconds when I played Van Morrison "Three Chords and the Truth" was "Oh, there's BASS, impact, and dynamics!"

mraulino, The Beave, timind and 3 others like this.
  14. misterdecibel

Yes. The photo was taken right after I extracted the unit from the box, and the screw is missing. Compared to Denafrips reviews and unboxings I've seen, this one also came without an AC cable, and it didn't have those little caps on the RCA jacks. The unit works well, so I'm not too concerned.

timind and bever70 like this.
  15. Martin Takamine

Martin Takamine Forum Resident

My Ares II arrived Friday just in time for the 3-day weekend so I replaced my Topping D70 and turned off the subs because out of the box in NOS mode there is ample bass.

The Beave, adamos, timind and 2 others like this.
  16. Voodoo Child

I don't think that they're supplied with a power cable.

17. misterdecibel

I wasn't sure. There's a power cable-shaped indentation in the packaging, and the Ares II unboxing upthread appears to have come with one:

[​IMG]

bever70 and displayname like this.
  18. Voodoo Child

OK, my mistake. I thought that I'd seen a couple of reviews that said that the cables weren't supplied but maybe I've confused it with something else.

bever70 likes this.
  19. alvin1118

alvin1118 Forum Resident

Ares II comes with power cord, the rest of the model doesn't.

@misterdecibel , just drop you an email!

misterdecibel and displayname like this.
  20. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head! Thread Starter

Congrats and enjoy ! Oh, by all means leave the dac powered on :righton:.

displayname likes this.
  21. Shangri-La

Do you get a notification when the order ships? Been (im)patiently waiting for my mine lol.

displayname likes this.
  22. alvin1118

alvin1118 Forum Resident

23. misterdecibel

I found the whole process painless. Before you order, you can see the estimated delay time on Vinshine's site: Ares II and Venus II say "Stock:. Available. Leadtime to ship in approx 7 days", Pontus "Stock:. Leadtime to ship in approx 4 weeks", Terminator: "Stock:. Available. Order now ships in 10-14 days" and Terminator Plus: "Stock:. Available to ship in 10-14 days".

When I ordered my Pontus there was a stated 14 day delay, and sure enough, two weeks after I placed my order I received a shipping notification.

It took four days for the DAC to get from China to my front door, and two of those days were the last 120 miles.

Dan Steely and Shangri-La like this.
  24. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

We’ll just catching up with you guys on the thread and good to see everyone happy with their R2R Denafrips! It’s been just about a year since I jumped into this and the journey was/is pretty incredible to say the least. I’ve learned a lot, an awful lot that I just didn’t know before I came here and it totally turned my digital world completely around.
    So much so that after I settled on the gear I liked my turntable got disconnected for like 8 months! Lol. No lie.
    And especially when I found that previously unlistenable brick walled cd’s we’re now listenable, we’ll that’s just icing on the cake.

So, again, congratulations to Alvin and Denafrips, on such amazing success! And thanks to all of you for the fun and informative ride!
    Now Play on!
    Beave

adamos, basie-fan, rischa and 2 others like this.
  25. Shangri-La

Thanks! Email sent. Looks there's still a day or two's wait time for my Ares II. Really look forward to it!