David Bowie - Metrobolist (The Man Who Sold The World) 50th anniversary edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Sep 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Apparently the whole album except "After All" was remixed. Visconti said earlier they didn't have all the multis to do the whole album, now the press release says that one track was "perfect as is" so they didn't touch it. Which is the truth?

John Bliss, DTK, LoveYourLife and 5 others like this.
  3. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

Why remix it? Does anyone think there's anything wrong with the original?

serj, Grootna, polchik and 12 others like this.
  4. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I have no issue with a band slapping a new coat of paint on a classic recording; as long as said classic is still made available.
    Whitesnake have been doing a great job of this with their current reissue campaign.

5. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

No CD is mentioned. Shame.

Tim

Dodoz, 905, Carlox and 4 others like this.
  6. onlyconnect

Visconti probably wanted the bass to be a bit more prominent ;-)

Tim

7. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

REMIXED BY TONY VISCONTI WITH ARTWORK BASED ON ORIGINAL TITLE & DESIGN
    RELEASED 6th NOVEMBER, 2020 ON LIMITED VINYL AND CD FORMATS, ALSO FOR STREAMING AND DOWNLOAD AT STANDARD AND HIGH RESOLUTION DOWNLOAD (96kHz/24bit)

8. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I'm against messing with the legacies.

Leave it just the way it is

9. onlyconnect

10. onlyconnect

Thanks. Where's that from?

Tim

905 and douglas mcclenaghan like this.
  11. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

So that's, what, the fourth cover variant for this album? And second name? And the one that precedes it has, what, four cover and three name variants?

I'd sooner get that 90s box set.

905, GentleSenator, Maurice and 7 others like this.
  12. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

TheLoveDrags likes this.
  13. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Check his website

14. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

I wonder if this is another of the albums that Bowie had on his list of records that he wanted remixed, as was the case with Lodger and Never Let Me Down?

And, if it is, are there any of his albums (at least among the remaining Visconti productions) that he didn't want to have redone? Or is this going to go on for the next forty years?

15. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Love this album. No issue with a remix being offered. Imo, there are some parts that I've always felt could've been mixed better. Sometimes that bass can sound mighty clunky, perhaps a little overbearing.

"It followed me home, can I keep it?" Has this bit that's sort of buried ever been heard in full? You know, "Organic growth..." or whatever, it's an audio collage of sorts. I don't think I've ever understood the whole thing.

16. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I'm not opposed to remixes, but I'm not clear on exactly why they're going back to the old working title. It seems like they're just trying to repackage it as something new when it's really just another remix, as opposed to The Gouster, which actually is an alternate, early version of Young Americans.

mikmcmee, dee, BigManRestless and 6 others like this.
  17. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

The original sounds really muddy so I assume this will sound nice and shiny. I did really like what he did with the last Space Oddity release although I'm sure I'm in the minority. The good news is we'll have both so the more Bowie the merrier i say.

18. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

I’m glad they are using a different title because it may help keep this Tony Visconti album (featuring David Bowie) separate from the original. The other Visconti albums that have the same names as the originals should have had more prominent disclaimers about what they were.

19. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

And also a "Young Americans" anniversary release? Not sure if this is simply grotesque, ridiculous or sad.... :hurl:

weirdoc and FourWalledWorld like this.
  20. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Now that's what I call 'disappointing'.

Jmac1979 likes this.
  21. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

...really muddy ...nice and shiny. I have to bite my tongue.

oopap, rcsrich and fRa like this.
  22. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

When I had thought about what they might call a follow up to Conversation Piece this title had occurred to me, however I had anticipated it being the title of a 1970 boxset rather than re-titling the original album.

BigManRestless and croquetlawns like this.
  23. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

It just seems a little gimmicky to me.

24. FlyingTeapot

FlyingTeapot Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    “Oh no, not me, I never lost control...”

DAVID BOWIE - 'METROBOLIST’ (AKA ‘THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD') 50th ANNIVERSARY EDITION

REMIXED BY TONY VISCONTI WITH ARTWORK BASED ON ORIGINAL TITLE & DESIGN

RELEASED 6th NOVEMBER, 2020 ON LIMITED VINYL AND CD FORMATS, ALSO FOR STREAMING AND DOWNLOAD AT STANDARD AND HIGH RESOLUTION DOWNLOAD (96kHz/24bit)

Parlophone Records is proud to announce release details for METROBOLIST (aka THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD) 50th ANNIVERSARY EDITION to be released on 6th NOVEMBER, 2020.

This November sees the 50th Anniversary of the release of David Bowie’s The Man Who Sold The World in North America. The rest of the world would have to wait until April 1971 to witness Bowie’s landmark entry into the 1970s, marking the beginning of a collaboration with guitarist Mick Ronson that would last through classic works including Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust and Aladdin Sane—as well as the first in a 10-year series of indispensable albums stretching through 1980’s Scary Monsters…

Originally titled Metrobolist, the album's name was changed at the last minute to The Man Who Sold The World -- the original stereo master tapes were in fact labelled Metrobolist, with the title ultimately crossed out. The 2020 re-release of the album under its Metrobolist moniker has been remixed by original producer Tony Visconti, with the exception of the track ‘After All’ which Tony considered perfect as is, and is featured in its 2015 remaster incarnation.

The Metrobolist 50th anniversary artwork has been created by Mike Weller who was behind the originally intended album artwork which Mercury refused to release. The gatefold sleeve also features many images from the infamous Keith MacMillan Mr Fish ‘dress’ shoot at Haddon Hall which would cause so much controversy when one of the shots was used on the cover of the The Man Who Sold The World album in the rest of the world in spring of 1971.

The original U.S. release of The Man Who Sold The World utilised some of the original Metrobolist design elements.

As with the Space Oddity 50th anniversary vinyl, as well as a 180g black vinyl edition, it will come in 2020 limited edition handwritten numbered copies on gold vinyl (# 1971 - 2020) and on white vinyl (# 1 - 1970) all randomly distributed.

For the 50th anniversary the 1970 story of the gatefold sleeve can be told in full with unused ‘dress’ photos. As Mike Weller explains:

“There is a story concealed in the carpet-scattered playing cards, David has thrown a plain 52 card deck in the air as though “casting the runes” but in a significant break from 60s Tarot divinations such as I Ching etc he casts runes using a four-suit pack and switches man-dress, along with the Court Card of the Future from right hand to left, signifying a new decade and new cultural era.”

David personally delivered the Metrobolist concept and his gatefold plan to the record company for production and now with this release, it can finally be seen much closer to its original concept. Bowie speaking in 2000 said of the sleeve imagery:

"Mick Weller devised this kind of very subversive looking cartoon and put in some quite personalised things. The building in the background on the cartoon in fact was the hospital where my half brother had committed himself to. So for me, it had lots of personal resonance about it.”

DAVID BOWIE METROBOLIST TRACKLISTING

The Width of a Circle

All the Madmen

Black Country Rock

After All

Running Gun Blues

Saviour Machine

She Shook Me Cold

The Man Who Sold the World

The Supermen

METROBOLIST ALBUM AVAILABLE 6th NOVEMBER, 2020 ON PARLOPHONE

FVDnz, quicksrt, John Bliss and 9 others like this.
  25. marciogosch

marciogosch Active Member

The same album ,no alternate takes,Just a new artwork

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.