SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

I have this dream every week it seems.

VP

2. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

Previous Quote from Sam: The best way to get hooked was when we heard better systems. My friend's father had AR/3 speakers and an AR turntable. Fantastic in its time. Made me want to go out and upgrade.
    I bought a Mono Bell 15 W amp in 1967 from a friend that was a little older because he had built a Dynaco PAT4 and Stereo 120 and bought AR3a speakers plus an AR XB TT. I was totally impressed. After graduating high school in 1969 I life guarded that summer and wanted to upgrade to Stereo. I remember looking at a Lafayette receiver at the time. I could not swing the exact system my friend had but I bought a Dynaco SCA80 and AR4ax speakers and Dual 1209 TT. After a couple of upgrades along the way, I still remembered the sound of the AR's and I finally got a pair of AR3a's about 5 years ago. They are all I need. Just replaced the crossover and redid the pots on one and going to do the other soon.

ssmith3046 and All Down The Line like this.
  3. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Regarding your DCC gold disc of Venus and Mars (GZS-1067), the dynamics are nearly explosive. What surprised you most about that experience?

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

That they wouldn’t let me use the real work parts, only the final. I’ve written about this here many times.

broshfab4, sunspot42 and Blastproof like this.
  5. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

If anyone is intrigued, I just found this... Interesting info. That was my first gold disc, and what a tremendous sound. That disc has been through a lot, but it's mine!

BeatlesBop and JediJoker like this.
  6. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I didn't realize the 45 for "Listen to What the Man Said" was a completely different master with less compression. Has that been used for any CD out there (without any questionable mastering, like the NoNoised compilations of the '90s)?

I don't think it was used for the McCartney Archive Collection remasters.

sunspot42 likes this.
  7. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Did a quick search, the most dynamic CD mastering is on Pure McCartney where it has a DR of 11. Elsewhere it's like 8 or 9, and even on the '80s CD compilation All the Best! it's measured at 10, so maybe Pure McCartney uses the 45 master?

Carlox and uzn007 like this.
  8. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I feel about the same about every Beatles album, I've heard 'em all to death. The exception is side two of Abbey Road, this one still gets me in the feels.

Re the WA, the 5.1 surround extractions are a revelation. For example, the individual surround stems for "Birthday" are an absolute hoot. Talk about unearthing buried treasure, it's kinda like having access to the multi-track tape as far as instrument isolation goes.

Most of the WA surround mix was great for this kind of thing. AR was OK for a few goodies, Pepper was a mess.

formu_la likes this.
  9. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Straight from the album master, I'm afraid. I had to do a little surgery in Audacity to make it better.

C6H12O6 likes this.
  10. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Steve, in your opinion what are good nearfield speakers to purchase today.

There is a subwoofer attached to this small system I set up in a music room. But existing B&W speakers are malfunctioning so looking for new speakers.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  11. Steve Hoffman

Geez, don’t know. I use LS/35a’s for nearfield but as to more reasonable priced speakers, no idea.

Dee Zee likes this.
  12. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Is Klipsch still held up as a standard, do you know?

13. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Steve, a question I've wondered about since hearing how Big Star's #1 Record was cut...

The story goes that the EQ was manually adjusted as the cut reached the inner grooves to compensate for the natural loss of high end response in the vinyl, keeping that signature bright sound throughout.

Is this a common practice with most LPs? Does a computer make this calculation these days?

Rupe33 likes this.
  14. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

If they still do, never cared for them using horns for tweeters.

15. Steve Hoffman

In the 50’s yes. Not so common after. But the ear bleeding treble on the tape probably made it necessary.

16. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

FWIW, if anyone wants to listen, an original Capitol Records #4091 radio station promotional copy:

And another user uploaded his own 45 here.

17. BZync

BZync Senior Member

That's the UN-compressed version? I can hear the pumping on the final verse. Singing is almost completely obscuring the instrumental backing track.

sunspot42 likes this.
  18. Steve Hoffman

Never trust anything on EuuToob. That’s why I never post any examples of my work there.

Mlle. Aurora, goer, BZync and 6 others like this.
  19. BradB

BradB Birth.Music.Death?

As a new member to this forum but life-long music lover and long-time fan of your work thank you! Your name introduced me to the word 'audiophile', and to the idea that music doesn't always get released to the world as well as it can the first time around, and can be given new life after years of hearing things otherwise! This site is helpful and informative, and reminds me often I'm not the only one who still gives a care about sound quality of music!

20. Steve Hoffman

Thank you.

21. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

Same! This forum is such a pleasure thanks to Our Host to keeping it going!

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  22. BradB

BradB Birth.Music.Death?

Sorry to read this tidbit, I can only imagine the difference the Bowie albums may have had if only some more money would have been available!

Plan9 and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

It would have been fun to do the Bowie RCA catalog, yes.

Starwanderer and sunspot42 like this.
  24. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Hey hey, look what I found.

[​IMG]

This was from my sister's collection. She had the "Junior's Farm" 45, too.

Derek Gee, thxphotog, Pinknik and 8 others like this.
  25. Matty

Matty Senior Member

I hope the level of quality control was greater for that one.

supermd, Man at C&A, BZync and 4 others like this.