I Hate Movie Remasters

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by cdcollector87, Sep 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdcollector87

cdcollector87 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Why is it that nearly every single 4K remaster that comes out now makes some kind of weird changes to the color timing? A few examples of this are Apocalypse Now, Terminator 2, Batman 1 & 2... With Batman, they even remixed the audio tracks for Dolby Atmos and they ended up sounding worse than the ones on the original release. I know others here have commented on this and called it the "orange and teal look." What is the point of this? Why not just make the color timing look like what's on the original film? Even some regular Blu-ray releases have done this over the years.

MHS3, Rufus McDufus and AlmanacZinger like this.
  2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

CDV and Tim Lookingbill like this.
  3. Why the hyperbole? It's not "nearly every single" one. Quite a few 4K versions are superior to their 2K siblings.

Graham, SamS and stepeanut like this.
  4. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I disagree, luckily is only a small percentage and when it happens is not only 4k that get the teal filter, I think even before 4k there were already some movies that suffered the revisionism.

audiomixer likes this.
  5. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

To be fair that's not exactly an obvious title to be searching for. It's not like typing in "Beatles" "Mono Mixes" or something.

realkilroy and Ryan Lux like this.
  6. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Maybe for Australian releases. But in the U.S. it happens much more than it should (on blu-ray anyway). Not to mention nearly every film released since 2008 has that god-awful de-saturated Orange and Teal grading. Movies are so boring to look at nowadays.

EDIT: you're correct that 4k releases are in the minority for this.

7. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

The new Disney+ 4k color grade of Star Wars A New Hope has the shadows looking greenish cyan as their choice of teal/blue and Caucasian skin tone a rosy orange. Shadows should be more of a low saturated navy blue.

I guess this was like punishment by Disney from all the complaints of New Hope Special Edition not looking exactly as it did when it was first released in the theater in '77 when 20th Century Fox owned it.

audiomixer likes this.
  8. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

No, please don't get me wrong, I don't like revisionism and I think these heavy changes in colour timing are appalling. I made my comment because while it has happened way too many times. I don't think it happens to most movies but it does happen and we get them ruined everywhere. Sometimes the masters used for some movies are different but by large we do get the same crap as everywhere else, in Australia too. It seems to happen a lot with reasonably newer movies -80's & 90's- that are classics people love and that is the reason they seem like a lot more than what they are.

When it comes to New hope I thought the greenish colour was much worse on The empire strikes back ,but it is nowhere near as bad as in the earlier Batman movies. There seem to be a lot of noise reduction too on star wars. I am glad to have them in a more watchable media (4k) despite the shortcomings but the actual changes and additions to the film compared to the original release have ruined those movies for me and that is the reason I skipped completely the bluray.

If it is any consolation having it in a solid media format stop people from making further changes like it can happen with streaming where if Gone with the Wind becomes too politically incorrect for some people they might add some CGI and change even what is been said.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  9. Dillydipper

Are you kidding me? I just used his exact words: "Orange and teal color timing", and that was the second entry that came up! :doh:

CDV likes this.
  10. Tim Lookingbill

I think that's the most informative video on the reasons why color timing artists apply the orange/teal look. None of the previous videos going back a decade mentioned "color contrast" as an imaging aesthetic choice for image enhancement. As a digital photographer I've applied it to some of my still images just to see if I could do it without a LUT, just good old color slider twiddling and camera profile choices in my Raw converter.

It does add a certain depth as a creative aesthetic in still images as long as the saturation is not over done but is quite irritating to watch in a 90 minute movie.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    KAT likes this.
  11. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I've mentioned that a number of times. Appears that you and I are in the microscopic minority, unfortunately.

Who thinks this is OK?

Top = Original. Bottom = Green tinted Blu-Ray.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Left = Blu-Ray. Right = Original.

[​IMG]

If only you dedicated all that negative energy to something actually constructive, just for once in your life. Surprise us and try it.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  12. Strat-Mangler

Not just older movies either. Recent movies are drenched with that crap. Look how nice it could be otherwise.

ORIGINAL
    [​IMG]

REGRADED
    [​IMG]

13. Dillydipper

What are you doing now, chasing me from one thread to the other, nitpicking valid contributions to other people's discussions?

Look, I was the one who posted the article when the OP seemed not to know why the condition existed. He complained that apparently it was too easy to find the answer, and I just confirmed it by using his own search terms. What's got the bee up your bonnet today? Care to take it to a PM where you don't have to screw up other people's threads taunting the participants?

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  14. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Can’t someone here promote a friendly topic for discussion amongst ourselves without being told to ‘just go google it’?

15. Tim Lookingbill

Wow! include me in as one of the microscopic minority. I had no idea the Keanu Reeve's "Matrix" didn't have that gangrene rotted corpse color treatment which was the only version I saw at the theater.

16. Tim Lookingbill

I'm beginning to think current color timers didn't study color aesthetics enough to be able come up with other "color contrast" color palette choices. Maybe it's in their training. Isn't there other color timing hue combinations besides orange/teal?

The main goal in color timing other than what the camera captured is to create a colored world that puts distance between the viewer and the world they're watching that it comes across dream like. This is why we don't go to the movies to watch the dead color palette of a movie shot on a video camera as seen in "Paranormal Activity" sequels and "Blair Witch".

17. Dillydipper

So, you don't like the answer I provided for his questions? Or is the availability of the answers themselves that makes you think that's not "friendly"? Help me out here, I was raised to help little old ladies cross the streets (and usually they never resented it, until I stopped watching out for runaway buses...).

18. Strat-Mangler

"Why bother asking the question, when you could just do a search on it?"

Halloween_Jack and KAT like this.
  19. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

To be fair, one wouldn't think this would be a common question.

20. Grant

The "regraded" one looks more natural, unless you're one of those people with some type of color-blindness, which I am not.

KAT and agentalbert like this.
  21. Dillydipper

You are correct. In all fairness, the OP's just become a member here this very year, so he may not have even heard of the internet until this recently. On the other hand, he does know the term, "color timing", as well as "orange and teal", so, maybe these phrases just popped into his head, coming here to a music and audio equipment forum for answers....:shrug:

22. Strat-Mangler

You misunderstood what was said there. Obviously, the original is tinted.

23. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

What is that from? I don't recognize the scene or actor. I guess there could be a reason for it to be so green, but the second one looks MUCH better to my eyes.

realkilroy, KAT and Strat-Mangler like this.
  24. Grant

...with a forum for video matters.:shrug:

25. Dillydipper

Yep, that's the first place I'd go for answers to video questions...a place which specializes in totally different disciplines, but just talks about video on the sidelines. :whistle:

Leads me to believe, this is probably a place to get definitive answers on comic books, finance, and thai cooking as well. :idea:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.