The Godfather Coda: Part III (2020 Director's Cut)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bowie Fett, Sep 3, 2020.

1. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

The biggest problem with Godfather III is that the first 2 are masterpieces. This one, at best, is okay.....and somewhat of a rehash of the first two.

2. Poke

Poke Forum Resident

While I somewhat agree that Duvall should have had some sort of role in the movie, I don't see Hamilton's presence in the film as a negative.

The Corleone family in the third movie is not the same organization that it was in the first two movies. What was once a crime family that made its fortune in gambling, bootlegging, and prostitution has transitioned to a corporation that tries to distance itself from that life and has (almost) established itself as legitimate. The same goes for Micheal...he is a changed man from when we last saw him. He was once a cold, ruthless plotter who shunned everything to protect his family, and now he seems more interested in whitewashing his past and securing his legacy. To me, the character George Hamilton plays is a reflection of those changes. Tom and Michael had always had a rocky relationship once Michael assumed power. It would make sense to me that at some point between the second and third movies that Michael would have decided that Hagen is not the man he needs by his side to complete this transition to becoming legitimate and would have found some slick corporate-type of counsel like Hamilton portrays. Simply put, the value that Hagen provides the family in the first two movies is not what Michael thinks he needs to take his family in this new legitimate direction.

3. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Like the movie she wasn't good, but she wasn't bad either. She wasn't helped by the screenplay: "Hey Cuz !" I don't think any actor could have pulled off that part well.

4. erocky

erocky Senior Member

I always enjoyed this movie and I would absolutely love to see an edit

5. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

And beginning and ending

6. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

No matter how well you polish a tur...

Pete Puma likes this.
  7. Wildest cat from montana

.[/QUOTE
    I didn't know that was the situation with Duvall.
    How did he figure he should get as much dough as Pacino? Pretty ballsy. Should Diane Keaton have got as much ? Talia Shire ?

8. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Allegedly he did that. From the article: "Says the director on his new cut, which will get a limited theatrical release: “I created a new beginning and ending."

9. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

She's a beautiful woman.

conjotter, Sean, 4_everyman and 5 others like this.
  10. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Agreed.

tkl7, Sean, mj_patrick and 1 other person like this.
  11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

me too!

Michael likes this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

no matter what it did not lose any money...fair enough.

13. Michael

me three! ; )

14. Michael

when my wife and I revisit the Godfather we have to watch ALL THREE as for us, it's all connected.

Sean and Bluesman Mark like this.
  15. Michael

well he wasn't a Corleone! LOL.

16. Good points except Diane Keaton isn’t related to Buster Keaton. Her name wasn’t even Keaton. She changed it from Hall because there was another actress with the same name.

I didn’t hate Sophia because she’s related to Francis (Talia is an accomplished actress and even Nick Cage has his moments With some marvelous performances although he was awful in “Peggy Sue Got Married” and “Moonstruck”), I dislike her because she has no talent as an actress. Period. She’s awful.and comes across as amateurish. To the other points, III has some nice set pieces but the film itself is largely a turd.

17. Indeed, I don’t think Ryder would have helped the movie at all. It’s going back to the well when the well is nearly dry and pulling up a bucket of mud.

18. Wildest cat from montana

It may even had been worse. If that 's possible.

wayneklein likes this.
  19. I wouldn’t disagree. She’s a fine actress in the right role. I felt that Andy Garcia wasn’t given enough to do in the film. Diane Keaton was completely wasted. It’s like Coppola had all of the right ingredients for a great meal just no good recipes.

20. Michael

not for a second...smart choice to not use her.

21. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

Yeah, but not Hollywood-beautiful.

22. Uther

Uther Forum Resident

The biggest problem with GIII isn't Sofia Coppola, it's the fact that Al Pacino forgot how to be Michael Corleone.

ThePaleRider, Sean, Humbuster and 6 others like this.
  23. Mr. E. Tramp

Mr. E. Tramp Forum Resident

and his hair cut

24. Mr. E. Tramp

Mr. E. Tramp Forum Resident

25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Pacino‘s haircut ( wig) for me was the problem.
    But.. watched G3 fairly recently, and it was better than I remember.