Films : No one mentions any more?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Sep 5, 2020.

1. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

The Post is a masterclass in directing. Lincoln was fantastic and so was Bridge of Spies.

carrick doone and FACE OF BOE like this.
  2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Funny, I was just not mentioning these films the other day...

Seriously, may have to do with the fact that (aside from this years's Covid adventures), so many more films keep coming out, and so many of them worth discussing, isn't it typical for other films to go by the wayside?

3. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

If a film is mentioned in this thread, then by definition it does not qualify for this thread.

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

He’d definitely more popular, box office pull than Brian De Palma.

5. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to watching West Side Story later in the year, got temporarily banned for a day because of an argument I had about the idea that Steven would be allowed to even make that film.

6. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

Catch-22

Hmm, this is indeed a catch-22!
    I feel like I'm in a Kafka play!

7. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

We should really be saying stuff like, "Anyone remember that film? I forget the name, I vaguely remember a red-haired guy on a horse maybe it was set in the 60s".

fr in sc likes this.
  8. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

People probably couldn't get past Avery Shriver's character being called Cornelius Butt, not to mention Dorothy's wooden acting, but I thought it kinda fit the role, especially when she was sitting in her charger chair, looking like a big, voluptuous Alexa. A silly movie but kinda fun.

rocnred likes this.
  9. Holerbot6000

I love Baby Doll. For some strange reason, TCM played it on my birthday every year for like 3-4 years - no idea why, but I kept watching it. It has to be one of the most lurid mainstream films of that era. All three leads chew the scenery something fierce and it's just an absolute blast to watch them all F'ing with each other.

10. alexpop

Eli Wallach’s first film, he was 41 at the time.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  11. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I think I know the one you're talking about, but I can't quite remember the title either, nor who starred in it. It's the one where a man meets a woman and they end up falling in love.

12. Holerbot6000

I'm actually surprised this hasn't gotten more love. It's a great movie with a star studded cast and a high profile director, and seems tailor made for a Criterion release. Maybe there are licensing issues.

905 and PonceDeLeroy like this.
  13. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

It's always seemed to be Mike Nichols' unwanted bastid stepchild of a movie, so to speak; maybe Art Garfunkel is to blame.

PonceDeLeroy, unclefred and Jack Lord like this.
  14. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Is there a website that tracks when a movie last aired?

Brickie likes this.
  15. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

It was released (roughly) around the same time as M.A.S.H. and the latter was significantly more popular with audiences. One movie caught the zeitgeist; the other, similar movie did not. Mike Nichols caught an early screening of M*A*S*H* , and, the story goes, knew his film was in big trouble.

905 and Mechanical Man like this.
  16. Holerbot6000

Too bad - it really is one of Buck Henry's funniest scripts and Buck himself is hilarious in it, as are Martin Balsam, Anthony Perkins, Bob Newhart, etc. etc. God what a cast that thing had.

Pete Puma, fr in sc and unclefred like this.
  17. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Madchen In Uniform, 1931
    [​IMG]

18. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

Speaking of Art Garfunkel, Carnal Knowledge doesn't get much play any more either.

The 1970s one that stood out for me is The Goodbye Girl.

19. alexpop

The ending I found a bit surreal with Anjelica Huston in the stagecoach scene.

As is ..I have the steelbook bd( not essential, but nice) myself.

20. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

...and rightfully so. Horrific film. Poor Burt...:sigh:

Stencil likes this.
  21. alexpop

Or ...Bad Timing(1980).

polchik likes this.
  22. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Speaking of Anjelica Huston, "The Witches".

steelinYaThighs and alexpop like this.
  23. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving, rhyme-artist

I loved it. :0)

alexpop likes this.
  24. alexpop

He split with Hal David not shortly after.

audiomixer likes this.
  25. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

Some films of the 80s/90s that come to mind (some forgotten more than others)

- Pump Up The Volume (this coming of age drama with Christian Slater is largely forgotten)

- Mo Better Blues (all the references to Spike Lee's Do The Right Thing, this film doesn't ever get mentioned)

- Only The Lonely (one of John Candy's last feature films other than more supporting performances in the 90s, and a great one for Candy)

- Quick Change (crime comedy with a lot star power - Bill Murray, Geena Davis, Randy Quaid, Phil Hartman, Stanley Tucci, Tony Shalhoub)

- Mad Dog and Glory (Deniro and Bill Murray play untypical roles, and with a great supporting role from Uma Thurman - this movie has a great cast)

- Devil In A Blue Dress - (underrated film noir with a great cast - Denzel Washington at arguably the height of his career and great supporting roles throughout)

- A Fish Called Wanda (not sure why I don't hear any references to this film anymore - it used to be mentioned all the time and was a huge hit in the 80s)