Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Yes Muza( Polskie Nagrana) are generally pretty good also.

2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

3. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

All this talk about Melodiya inspired me to pull out my Richter - The 100th Anniversary Edition 50CD box set. The first time through I listened from disc one to fifty. This time I think I'll listen in reverse order.

First up, a Prokofiev CD compiling two Recitals from 1979.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  4. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

the EMI ASD Melodiyas are really good! great pressings and recordings. I also have some Svetlanov violin music on melodiya which thankfully got a very quiet pressing, most of the rest art very noisy and Muza may even be worse!

Daedalus likes this.
  5. George P

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I just ordered this new 3CD set from amazon. It will arrive on Wednesday, my birthday. I have heard good things about this pianist, a student of Cortot, whom I adore, but never heard her. Transfers are by Ward Marston.

Bubbamike and Daedalus like this.
  6. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

This morning I am listening to my Sibelius symphony set-all conducted by Rozhdestvensky. A Melodiya LP box set. This picture is from net -but it is the identical version which I have. Quiet surfaces and nice recording.[​IMG]

dale 88 and George P like this.
  7. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying the Pastoral symphony from the above box set.

8. Robert Godridge

Wolfgang Boettcher, Ursula Trede-Boettcher - Cellomusik um Mozart
    Listening to this delightful lp rite now from a brother and sister duo. the Shure V15 (iii) and technics 1210GR seem ideal for clean chamber music records somehow. This is very well recorded. I've long prefered in some ways mid 70s to mid 80s classical records to their earlier, more expencive stereo issues, though early monos are still my favorites.

9. Robert Godridge

Tor Aulin, Kurt Atterberg, Kungliga Hovkapellet, Eri Klas - Musik På Dramaten
    What is it with late romantic Swedish composers really impressing me? I've yet to find something I haven't enjoyed on this label and having recently fallen under the Stenhammar spell I can highly recommend this release to my fellow fans of his music. The recorded sound is excellent, as it should be in 1988, and the shure v15 (iii) is singing like abird. Another from the amazing collection I got over a year ago now and am still finding treasure in.

10. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Haven't played this one in awhile. Great sound.

[​IMG]

layman likes this.
  11. George P

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Now enjoying this newly released 3CD set. This pianist was a student of Cortot. Transfers are by Ward Marston.

12. peerless1

peerless1 Well-Known Member

Some of the artwork should be collectible!

dale 88 likes this.
  13. peerless1

peerless1 Well-Known Member

I like this too.
    There are many wonderful recordings that sound...well...wonderful with a quarter-decent system.
    I have a good number of LPs from Columbia, RCA, DGG, Philips, Angel, Mercury, and you name it. Can go on about each label. Of the foreign labels am impressed by Supraphon and some Muza. They used analogue recording equipment into the late 1970s and decent vinyl.
    Of late have had increased interest in earlier Capital and Westminster recordings. Keep an eye out for Capital gold labels with Full Dimensional Sound.
    Generally avoid the Westminster Gold with a few exceptions.

14. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this 2 SACD set.

layman, Daedalus, RiRiIII and 3 others like this.
  15. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Can't beat Jansons. Spinning this.
    [​IMG]

rockerreds and George P like this.
  16. George P

[​IMG]

Felt like some live Arrau tonight.

17. Rose River Bear

I did not know that SACD was out there. Is it 5.1?

18. George P

Rose River Bear likes this.
  19. drh

drh Talking Machine

He's been around, but his name doesn't seem to pop up all that often. I have a couple of his LPs, one a collection of short pieces (or extracts) and the other Liszt's solo piano arrangement of Beethoven's 9th Sym. Liszt couldn't seem to keep his hands off that mighty work; he also arranged it for two pianos, four hands, in which form the Contiguglia brothers recorded it for Connoisseur Society. I'm remembering that as an effective performance but a record with noisy surfaces. But back to Katsaris, as far as I can recall my only other of his recordings is a CD of the two "standard" Mendelssohn piano concerti plus the youthful one for piano and string orchestra in A Minor, all with Kurt Masur and the Gewandhaus Or. The LPs are on Teldec (Beethoven-Liszt) and Telefunken; the CD is on a label otherwise unknown to me called Apex.

George P likes this.
  20. Rose River Bear

I don't think I own a single recording of his. I will have to remedy that.

21. Rose River Bear

22. George P

It is no surprise he has recorded Liszt, for his playing and his haircut are very Liszt.

RiRiIII likes this.
  23. Robert Godridge

London Symphony Orchestra*, Argenta* - España!
    This is one of my favorite lps, I have the ace of diamonds pressing but would love something a bit nicer, I'm up for lp or cd. Can anyone recommend a nice sounding copy of this? the japanese shm cd is tempting...

layman likes this.
  24. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this recent used SACD, found at Princeton Record Exchange.

Eigenvector likes this.
  25. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying one of my favorite pianists playing one of my favorite composers, Rachmaninov.