I Hate Movie Remasters

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by cdcollector87, Sep 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Maybe if we had separate forums for them.

Vidiot likes this.
  2. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

All of this happens on a case by case basis depending on the film and who is involved with the restoration/mastering. I know that Terminator 2 is basically just a repackaging of the 3D release so I think it was just regraded etc to look more modern in theaters, especially with the new digital projection. Apocalypse Now is a new version of the movie, the grading looked different to me but for all, I know it may be closer to Coppola's original intent than the Redux release was. Or maybe they just wanted to give it a fresh coat of paint for the theater run make it look fresher since it's a new release with a new HDR grade and a new 4k scan... I assume.
    And what exactly are you considering the "original film" because just saying the colors are different than the VHS was is probably not all that accurate and prints can differ from print to print, or maybe your memory isn't as great as you think it is. I remember The Ghost Writer being a very blue movie when I saw it in theaters and then the Blu-ray was much more balanced, could be my memory or it could be the print.
    Some of the stuff being brought up has a lot to do with taste as well, as with the person who brought up "recent movies" movies are graded to convey tone from scene to scene depending on the taste of the filmmaker, people complained about the grading of The Final Cut on Blade Runner but I liked the new grade because I thought it conveyed the atmosphere of the scene better.

3. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Either I’m getting used to it, they’re using it less these days, or I don’t watch the kind of movies that get the orange and teal treatment as much. Seems like most of the things I’ve watched recently have been fairly natural looking. Now if only CDs would progress back to a more pleasing dynamic sound.

George P likes this.
  4. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Taking an image and color balancing it doesn't make it "The original"

I don't remember Terminator 2 ever looking like it does in your image and The Matrix has also been regraded for the UHD release though I wasn't able to get a screenshot of that since you can't screenshot AppleTV movies and that version supposedly represents the original intent but "improved upon".

[​IMG]

5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

The Comic Board
    The Finance Forums - Powered by vBulletin
    Thai Food - Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
    Easy. Already done.

Which is my point: why would somebody come here to ask a question about "orange-and-teal color timing", if there are obviously more authoritative places to find the answer. More authoritative places so easy to reach, somebody who isn't even ON a video board, can get him that answer with an easy web search.

Oh, wait, I have the answer for that. Because somebody here was kind enough to post an answer to his question using the very terms he used to frame his question ( :wave: me, in post #2, in case you missed that)...and, also get crap for doing that for him that favor.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Thanks, Captain Obvious.

I'm using these examples to illustrate the impact of how movies of today are regraded. One thing to discuss and another to show the contrast.

Some people regrade these films on a scene-by-scene basis to restore what it looked like initially based on either the DVD or Laserdisc releases where the color was unmolested from that of which was shown in the theater for those cases. The goal for those folks is almost always to match the original theatrical look, although there is the odd exception.

If you believe to be correct, I invite you to take your debating of specific color timings with those folks as I'm afraid splitting hairs or arguing semantics with anyone regarding this and most topics is something I'll never be bored enough to entertain.

7. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Oh come off it, don't compare your doctored screenshots to people who use references to chase a look. If you intend on posting something so blatantly dishonest you could at least try to drop the holier than thou attitude "Who thinks this is OK" what a crock.

8. Strat-Mangler

:laughup:

You obviously have quite the reading difficulties. Didn't think it'd be that challenging to grasp the fundamental concepts I specifically wrote about but you've impressed me thus far. Bravo. Get some manners and we'll talk. Until then, buh-bye, Mr Crabby.

Oh, and knowing your type, you'll absolutely want to have the last word so go ahead. :laugh:

9. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

I watched the new 4k remaster of Apocalypse Now in the theatre here and thought it looked sensational.

There aren't many remasters I haven't liked. There was a recent "Final Cut" of The Wicker Man which was actually much worse than the "Director's Cut" from about 15 years ago.

Colour timing is tricky - Apocalypse Now has gone through multiple iterations over the past 30 years and most have been for the worse. I thought the recent 4k release the best I've seen. I didn't see the original theatrical release.

Vidiot likes this.
  10. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I haven't watched a film print of Terminator 2 but so far I have no reason to believe that there is anything about the skynet edition of T2 that isn't correct. The new 4k "remaster" was modernized but I suspect that was because it's just the 3D transfer and they couldn't be bothered spending more money to do a seperate restoration.

[​IMG]

11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

12. Dillydipper

I have asked a few times, if anybody knows a similar forum elsewhere that deals more in detail in things we do not, such as comics, or television series, or film (yeah, we do talk about these, but not in the detail we spend on music, artists or audio equipment). Makes no sense people wouldn't be just as good at other forums as they became here on the main topics; yet nobody ever answers. I wouldn't expect this place to be all things to all people, just our things to our people.

13. cdcollector87

cdcollector87 Forum Resident Thread Starter

So if I cannot find a better site to ask this question, I am better just not asking it at all? Why even comment in the thread if you're just here to complain?

14. Blu-ray Forum - Blu-ray Community and Forums

Tyler Chastain likes this.
  15. raye_penber

raye_penber .

The recent 4k (blu ray) anniversary scan of the Shining was excellent.
    The recent 4k (blu ray) Scream Factory scan of Misery, on the other hand, really didn't work for me with its unnatural grain removal and pancake skin textures textures (YMMV). You'll find many abrasive nitwits arguing about this, and generally treating each other like dirt, in an incredibly obnoxious, 'jocks in the locker room' way on the forum mentioned above.

Halloween_Jack likes this.
  16. Dillydipper

As crotchety as I can get, I still think this is the best web community for me personally. I just want more like this, on other topics.

I'm still missing the Mighty Big TV site, which had a thread for every tv show, and sub-forums for genres. And the conversation was erudite and informed. We need something that does that as smart for film, comics, television, and all the other things that the Hoffman board may touch on (thus not do all that well), but not focus on.

17. And you'll find many knowledgeable people who are willing to share their information there as well.

raye_penber likes this.
  18. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Can't argue with that.

RolandG likes this.
  19. 2trackmind

2trackmind Forum Resident

Because they want those older films to have that "modern" look to appeal to the younger audience.

20. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I'm glad you brought it up especially now that I just saw today Al Pacino's 2007 "88 Minutes" movie on my basic cable package which has the sickly cyan version of teal in the shadows and lower mid range where Pacino's black hair looks like he came from a Mardi Gras cyan tinted hair spray party. Horrible, just horrible.

All shadows lose there sense of depth and mystery since the lighter cyan color makes them milky. Reducing the dynamic range for an orange/teal color grade not only makes my HDtv look bad but it distracts from the dark and serious nature of the movie's theme which has a lot of violence and victimization scenes. The title of the movie is explained by Pacino's character close to the end of the movie and it's not a pleasant thought to have in one's mind.

The orange/cyan color grade just looks like a cartoonish mess.

21. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

Because that's what he does, threadcraps, ****posts, drive-bys, everything trolls do, leavened by clunky, awful attempts at "humor" which are always met with stony silence broken only by crickets.

Rufus McDufus and Strat-Mangler like this.
  22. cdcollector87

cdcollector87 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyway, getting back to Apocalypse Now specifically, the new 4K remaster does look a little sharper and if I adjust my TV just right, the color timing shift to yellow isn't that terrible. Too bad the SD Blu-rays have a poor encode on them.

23. Strat-Mangler

Forget him. It's his MO. Just look at any thread he posts in. Best to ignore those types.

Here's T2 in 4K on top compared to the theatrical color timing.

[​IMG]

Visit here for the comparison I posted about before. Feel free to argue 'til your face turns as blue as the artificially tinted 4K transfer. :D

https://twitter.com/ghoulbasement/status/418364734992162817

alexpop likes this.
  24. Strat-Mangler

What will always amuse me is that most people would clue in but he never gets it. :laugh:

25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Examples?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.