Current Paul McCartney news thread (interviews, articles, miscellaneous)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Aug 15, 2016.

1. jesse

jesse Forum Resident

Thanks! I tried to post the photo instead of just the link, but somhow could not make it work....

Who Cares likes this.
  2. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

supermd, Hep Alien, Who Cares and 4 others like this.
  3. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Paul's Facebook and Twitter account have today publicsed the 34th anniversary of the release of Press To Play, and it's been shared by the Beatles account.

It's been interesting to see the comments are generally really positive and loads of people calling for an Archive release, I hope those replies are being noted!

Sean, Hep Alien, Paul H and 11 others like this.
  4. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Paul McCartney - Backstage Interview (Live Aid 1985)

5. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Here’s a nice thing from War Child UK... (#HELP25 )

6. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

You Gave Me The Answer - Slang Words

"Paul: When you are kids you make up silly things, and what’s great about it is you and your friends all know those silly things… So, they don't have to mean anything! We had a few words and phrases that, if one of us said it, would amuse the others because it was like a secret code. So ‘cranlock naval, cranlock pie’ doesn't actually mean anything.

[...]

There was a thing in Liverpool that us kids used to do, which was instead of saying ‘f-off’, we would say ‘chicka ferdy!’. It actually exists in the lyrics of The Beatles song ‘Sun King’. "

7. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

8. PhilipB

PhilipB Forum Resident

9. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Oh it's DEFINITELY Chico!! :laugh:

PhilipB likes this.
  10. PhilipB

PhilipB Forum Resident

Chico, Peter Brown and David Icke - the leaders we didn't know we needed :D

11. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

12. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

From the live brilliance of 'Liverpool Oratorio' to the orchestral reworkings on 'Working Classical', check out this month's 'Sticking Out Of My Back Pocket' and discover a selection of Paul's classical compositions.
    Listen on Spotify: https://mpl.pm/SOMBP

They managed to get a couple of my favorites from Liverpool Oratorio. Nothing from Ocean's Kingdom, however.

13. Bilbo Swaggins

Bilbo Swaggins Forum Resident

Ocean’s Kingdom has been removed from Spotify for some reason.

14. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

15. mrjinks

Way to get me back on topic!
    ;)

omikron likes this.
  16. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

17. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Is this from before George joined the group?

theMess likes this.
  18. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

According to the Flaming Pie book, it's from 1959

Hep Alien and omikron like this.
  19. mrjinks

I've got something interesting to pass on. I was contacted by a member here with this news:

New McCartney
    Hey there - I thought I'd contact you as you are the host of the McCartney news thread. And if this is already known, just disregard the message...

I'll have to be anonymous - so please don't say it came from me - but I was just told that the new record is finished I have no idea about release date.

Thanks for the thread

Although it's a brief message and I'm not quoting it in its entirety, I think it calls for a lengthy explanation to answer questions that I'm sure will be asked, so here goes.

About me: I've been a member here since spring 2007. I'm not connected with anyone in the Beatle camp or the music industry. I am a constant enough presence in Beatle & Dylan threads (as well as my other musical interests) that I'd think veteran posters in those threads might recognize my user name and feel they "know" me as a relatively straightforward guy. I don't aim to wind people up with BS, and when I post opinions that are contrary to accepted wisdom (like my failure to love "Ram"), I try to at least mention that I know my views differ from the norm. That said, I do try to get my facts straight and I used to bring out the :cop:FACT POLICE:cop: when I'd note someone else posting things that were blatantly false.

About my source: I was fully prepared to treat the above message as garbage, but I recognized the username of the person who sent it to me - it is NOT someone brand new to the forum. Still, even though I recognized the name, it wasn't someone that posts all that much in Beatle threads, compared to some of us. Turns out we'd had a private conversation once, several years ago, where they messaged me in support of a fairly critical appraisal I made of a different McCartney album. I then searched postings they'd made and was pleasantly surprised to see they'd occasionally called out other members who hadn't properly fact-checked their statements - which shows just the kind of critical thinking I like to see. At that point, I responded to the message and asked what made them believe the information they were passing on to me and quickly got a response saying "give me a call if you like" with a phone number. So I did. I found a perfectly rational, intelligent-sounding person on the other end of the line, who walked me through, in more detail, the information I posted above. They also mentioned where the info came from and I'm convinced they have a sound source. That's all I'm going to say about this member. Please don't PM me and ask for more info, because none will be given. Note: I will point out that this source is NOT @mikecarrera (nor @maccawings). I'd say "as god is my witness" or something like that, but I'm not a believer, so you'll just have to take my word!

Why is there a red ellipsis in the quote above? Because I'm intentionally omitting a few other facts (including an album title) that were in my initial contact with this person. Why? Well, I'm hoping this will open the floodgates and perhaps others can publicly share news on this, if they have any. Or perhaps someone will privately contact me and confirm what I've been told, but THEY are going to have to lead with info to see if it matches mine - no guessing games, here. There's a reason I'm not starting a new album thread yet! Ideally, I'd like a second independent source to confirm it first, just like a reporter might do with a "scoop". I can't very well do that if I give away all the info now, along with how it came to be known. I hope that makes sense - I'm not trying to piss anyone off or withhold info "just because"!

I won't take offense at those who may criticize this approach in subsequent comments. Also, if I "like" a post speculating on the new album, please don't think that denotes anything special - it's just a like!

Just a few weeks ago, I'd told my son that I honestly didn't think there would be another full album from McCartney. I just let him know that it looks like there will be, and I couldn't be happier to apparently be proved wrong!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  20. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

A lockdown album?

Sean, Eska68, theMess and 2 others like this.
  21. Bilbo Swaggins

Bilbo Swaggins Forum Resident

High in the Clouds soundtrack?

omikron likes this.
  22. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Thanks, definitely not from me. However, I think it is plausible that he may have done something. I’d present the GQ article where I believe they reported that he had finished some songs as well as written some (just from my memory but I believe that was the gist). I cannot confirm or deny whether it is factually accurate but my opinion is that I think it’s possible.

And thanks @mrjinks for the very complete thought behind posting the rumor/fact.

davenav, augustboy, Sean and 7 others like this.
  23. mrjinks

Bummer - I was hoping you might have heard something already. Rattle those cages and see if your contacts are hearing any whisperings about this! :)

24. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

With the GQ article, touring cancelled and plenty of time on his hands, it certainly could be possible

augustboy, Sean, Paulwalrus and 3 others like this.
  25. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I will shake the tree and see if anyone has heard this

tug_of_war, Sean, Paulwalrus and 5 others like this.